Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > iPod "RAM" Alternative?

iPod "RAM" Alternative?
TT Esq
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2003, 10:52 PM

I've ripped a number of my CDs into iTunes -- and I've used the AAC format, due to its smaller size and alleged better quality.

This has worked fine so far to burn my own CDs and all of that.

BUT now I am considering getting a "MP3 Player" ("MP3" generic, meaning digital audio player).

The iPod is out for me. Simply too much money, and I plan to use the player while I'm working out, jogging, whatever. Simply too big, and when I'm at the gym, I don't want to bring anything valuable with me anyway. So it doesn't get stolen. . .or broken.

Is there a "RAM" digital audio player that is compatible with the Mac and iTunes, and will play both AAC (Mac) and MP3 files? I've looked a little bit -- and it looks like the only formats that are supported are WMA and MP3.

I have an old Rio that will play the MP3 files, but doesn't quite know what to do with the AAC files.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2003, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by TT Esq:
I've ripped a number of my CDs into iTunes -- and I've used the AAC format, due to its smaller size and alleged better quality.

This has worked fine so far to burn my own CDs and all of that.

BUT now I am considering getting a "MP3 Player" ("MP3" generic, meaning digital audio player).

The iPod is out for me. Simply too much money, and I plan to use the player while I'm working out, jogging, whatever. Simply too big, and when I'm at the gym, I don't want to bring anything valuable with me anyway. So it doesn't get stolen. . .or broken.

Is there a "RAM" digital audio player that is compatible with the Mac and iTunes, and will play both AAC (Mac) and MP3 files? I've looked a little bit -- and it looks like the only formats that are supported are WMA and MP3.

I have an old Rio that will play the MP3 files, but doesn't quite know what to do with the AAC files.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Unfrotunately, I don't know if any solid state media player that can play AAC. Supposedly if the player can play mpeg-4 (of which AAC is the codec used for the audio), it should be able to play it, though I seriously doubt it will work on iTMS files because of the encryption.

You can convert the AAC to MP3s in iTunes. This is generally a no-no if highest quality is necessary. Don't want to recompress a compressed file. But if your just going to use this for on the go listening, it should be fine. Since a CF or SmartMedia or whatever player is going to be, you already have less room and need to setup playlists that will fit on that storage device. I think you can convert to MP3 by playlist, but I'm not entirely sure.

TT Esq  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2003, 02:29 AM

On the heels of my posting -- it appears that Apple may have had some of the same thoughts.

Not specifically a "RAM" iPod, but an entry-level, lower-capacity iPod.

One of the rumor articles is linked here:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=329

The rumors seem to indicate that it's going to have a 2GB or 4GB capacity. Assuming for a second that the rumors aren't correct -- what would be the maximum amount of RAM that it could have to meet the projected price point of $199? Hmmm, I just got 256MB of RAM for $40. It seems like a RAM iPod could have at least 1GB or so and still be less than $200???

Anyway -- here's to hoping the rumors are correct!

dtriska
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2003, 05:05 AM

You're confusing RAM with flash memory. RAM is cheap and is used by computers. Flash memory is expensive and is used by electronic devices such as digital audio players.

And, no, there's no way anyone will use RAM in digital audio devices. RAM is for temporary memory (it's cleared when the computer is turned off), while flash memory is for permanent memory, much like a hard drive.

TT Esq  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2003, 02:58 AM

Ok -- I see.

I've seen a 2GB Rio -- which apparently uses Flash-memory -- for around $200. So hopefully perhaps this is the route that Apple plans on taking. Perhaps a 4GB version would be in the area of $250 or so.

Anyway, that's what I'm hoping for. Some of the rumor sites are talking about a "feature-reduced" iPod, but one that still uses a hard drive, for the so-called "mini iPod."

A really small size is what appeals to me -- so I'm hoping for a memory-based unit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules