Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > upgrade usb1.1. to usb2.0 on emac using hub

upgrade usb1.1. to usb2.0 on emac using hub
bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2005, 07:55 PM

Have no idea which forum this belongs to, so please move me if I am in the wrong one.

Okay I have an emac approx 1 year old, it only has usb1.1 (or at least I believe this to be the case, as it is the 1gig processor emac, and apple people telling me doesn't have usb 2). Didn't realise at the time that apple was going to start screwing us and putting usb2.0 in all their computers (is firewire on its way out?) so as a result more and more peripherials are usb2.0 have realised I may need it too, so can I upgrade my emac to usb2.0, I have rang Next Byte twice (australian apple reseller) and applestore once and they say no can do, chuck computer out and buy a new one.

However I then talked to applestore technical support and they told me I had two options, either install a USB PCI card which will upgrade the computers usb1.1 ports to usb2.0 ports, or buy a usb 2.0 hub and this will automatically make my computer usb2.0, e.g. anything plugged into usb2.0 hub will run at usb2.0 speed(assuming of course it is a usb2.0 peripherial). The hub option sounds too good too be true so I asked the guy to double check he comes back to the phone and repeats the same thing.

Have since done a search on google can't find any reference to a usb hub which can upgrade your usb1.1. to usb2.0 so was the apple tech guy on acid, or can this really happen?

If I can't use this hub solution, what is involved in installing a pci card. Am a girl and have never touched the inside of a computer, terrifies me to do this, do I have to take the computer apart? My only other solution is to take it to the nearby next byte store (but then these are the guys who told me emacs cant be upgraded to usb2.0) who I am sure will charge me hundreds of dollars to fix and in any case emac far too heavy too carry, and not happy about it being stored away for days/weeks in apple store, someone possibly erroneously erasing my hard drive etc. Would rather have my emac safe at home with me.

So should i just turf the computer and buy a new one!
AAAAGGGGHHGHHH! If I had waited 1 more month I could have got an emac with usb2.0 (know I know why the damn thing was discounted, thought I got a good deal at the time!)

By the way one of the reasons I am asking this is that I have just ordered a griffin powerwave (awaiting its arrival) to plug my mic into so that I can do decent voice overs into fcp, might also plug some speakers up etc, not sure how well audio works at usb1.1 speed, I know video needs usb2.0 or firewire to work well, but not sure if audio needs usb2.0.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2005, 07:58 PM

Wrong forum.. there's a iMac, eMac, Mac Mini forum

As for what solution is the best..
If the eMac does have a PCI card slot open... then its easy.
To install takes like 1 minute.. but to open it up.. that's another story.. I'm not too familar with eMacs... so i can't comment on how to open it.

bonniescotland  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2005, 08:06 PM

Hi that was quick, thanks for your reply, yeah sorry I realised as soon as I posted it was in the wrong forum, but can't figure out how to move this to emac forum, so have copied it to emac forum (without your reply as was about to delete the original when I realised you had replied), looked up faq but only tells you how to edit your post not move it, so sorry for the hassle, don't want to delete this now seeing as you have replied.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2005, 08:10 PM

We'll let the Mods handle this..

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2005, 10:03 PM

Until then, no, you cannot upgrade USB 1.1 to 2.0 via any sort of hub or device, and yes, that tech was on acid.

Furthermore, the eMac has no PCI slots, so that option is out also.

However, USB 1.1 will work fine with your PowerWave, nothing to worry about there, unless you have other high-bandwidth devices (such as data drives) on the same USB bus.

And finally, Firewire isn't going out. USB and Firewire have different purposes. Firewire is however being upgraded to Firewire 800 (and beyond.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules