Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Virginia Tech's Supercomputer

Virginia Tech's Supercomputer
Tim Kosch
Jan 11, 2004, 01:45 PM

I been watching the video about the Virginia Tech supercomputer. On the video they show a delivery of G5's in the standard black box. Does anyone know if these are standard dual G5's or custom built-to-orders? I am curious if they purchased them without video cards, modems, etc. Is there anywhere to find out exactly what their configurations are or what their individual price was? I assume that the $5.2 million price included networking cables, interfaces, racks, etc. since $5.2 million divided by 1,100 comes out to about $4,700 each.

I am not sure what they would do with an extra 1,100 mice, keyboards, etc.

Tim

CIA
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2004, 02:15 PM

1,100 mouse and keyboard dutch auction on eBay? I hadn't thought of that aspect before. I bet Apple cut them a deal, and also don't forget that they are a school, so at the minimum, they got education pricing for the machines. Probably more then that though.
Regarding the machines themselves, as far as I have heard, they were all dual 2.0's with a minimum of 4GB of ram, possibly 8GB each. The smallest hard drives available from Apple were installed, and last I knew they were originally running 10.2.7, with the plan to move to 10.3 this past fall. I don't know if they did though.
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

billybob128
Senior User
Jan 11, 2004, 02:15 PM

they got them in the same box as i got mine

they may have distrobuted the extra mice and keyboards to the older computers that needed new ones around the campus

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2004, 06:09 PM

they added in (vt did) ram to a total of 4gb each and pci-x network cards, other than that they are standard (SD and all) no clue what they did with kb, mouse and all. they did upgrade to panther in nov. i believe and it bosted preformance a fair amount i heard.

jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2004, 06:53 PM

1100 G5s with 4 gigs of ram each is a lot of computing, but it's not that many computers in terms of sales to Apple. Lots of schools and companies buy thousands of computers all at once. Granted these computers were on top of whatever else VT was buying for lab and office use, but I go to a small school, ~5000 undergrads, and we replace every computer on campus every 2 years, which is about 1200 machines. I doubt 1100 G5s is even a blip on Apple's sales record.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2004, 07:03 PM

They were standard dual 2.0 builds with Radeon 9600 Pro.

RAM was 4 GB.
Hard drive 160 GB.
They also came with an optical drive, which I believe was the combo drive.

Oh and Dr. V ordered off the AppleStore website.

Hydra
Senior User
Jan 11, 2004, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
They were standard dual 2.0 builds with Radeon 9600 Pro.
-

Oh and Dr. V ordered off the AppleStore website.

Yeah, when I first heard that I had to wonder what ran through the mind of the first Apple Store employee to come across that order They probably thought it was a mistake or joke

-Jerry C.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2004, 08:06 PM

5.2 million over 1100 computers comes out to about $4750 per computer.

Since each computer has 4GB of RAM and a $1000 InfiniBand FibreChannel card, I think they got a relatively good deal.

Originally posted by CIA:
1,100 mouse and keyboard dutch auction on eBay? I hadn't thought of that aspect before. I bet Apple cut them a deal, and also don't forget that they are a school, so at the minimum, they got education pricing for the machines. Probably more then that though.
Regarding the machines themselves, as far as I have heard, they were all dual 2.0's with a minimum of 4GB of ram, possibly 8GB each. The smallest hard drives available from Apple were installed, and last I knew they were originally running 10.2.7, with the plan to move to 10.3 this past fall. I don't know if they did though.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2004, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
5.2 million over 1100 computers comes out to about $4750 per computer.

Since each computer has 4GB of RAM and a $1000 InfiniBand FibreChannel card, I think they got a relatively good deal.
Dr. V has already said he paid full price for the Power Macs.

I went thru the calculations a while back and it seems that they could have paid full educational prices on the Macs, if they paid street prices for RAM (not Apple RAM prices).

Rumour has it that Apple supplied the RAM, but at great discount (ie. street prices).

They would have also gotten a good package deal on the InfiniBand interconnects.

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2004, 11:39 PM

the students installed the ram(but yes apple could have supplied it), and its a superdrive in each machine

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2004, 12:11 AM

I read somewhere that the $5.2 million included quite a bit more than just the computers. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2004, 08:30 AM

Don't forget the racks and cabling.

Volunteer assembly time is not counted.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

prolix
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2004, 12:40 PM

Liebert/Emerson provided the racks, power and cooling for the facility. That alone is a big chunk of change, the racks run around 800 each, plus they have a pretty high tech cooling system that creates a vortex of sorts in taht room to keep air moving. Our Liebert rep was talking about it to us one day b/c we are mid-way through a NOC design that will utilize a lot of the same features the VATech NOC uses.

If you want a true feeling for what is involved in putting that room together check this out: http://don.cc.vt.edu/

Truepop
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 11:07 PM

hmm each one has a superdrive... I bet they could make some money for their department by offering a DVD copying service.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2004, 11:32 AM

From what I understand it was 5.2 Million for everything. The racks, the cooling and the computers. Either way it was a good deal for something like that.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 15, 2004, 05:14 PM

ThinkSecret confirms the Macrumors and Slashdot rumor that Apple is gonna take back the Power Macs in exchange for G5 Xserves. ThinkSecret goes on to claim that Apple is gonna sell them as refurbs:

Apple will reportedly perform a one-to-one swap for the computers, the source said, dispelling rumors that the Power Macs will be distributed across the campus. The machines will instead be refurbished and sold by Apple to resellers, but it's not clear what financial arrangement Virginia Tech has worked out with Apple.

"As you can guess, this'll leave a lot of extra space in all the racks we have," one source said. "We may even add more nodes to the cluster."

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 07:19 PM

They also said the new Xserve G5s support ECC ram and the PowerMac G5s do not.

Could someone explain what it is, and is ECC ram better? Advantages?

Thanks
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 09:19 PM

Error-Correcting Code (ECC) Memory is a kind of memory that has special circuitry to ensure the accuracy of data while passing in and out of memory. It is mainly used in servers that _should not crash_ and require accuracy/stability.

ECC is slower than regular RAM, which is why you won't find it in PowerMac G5s anytime soon. Simply put: more expensive, slower, but more stable.

If you want to know more, head over to this page. It explains ECC clearly without going too technical.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 09:30 PM

Thanks..very helpful!
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2004, 12:13 AM

a 1 to 1 exchange? Well I guess this probably is a great publicity move

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 06:12 AM

Originally posted by ginoledesma:
Error-Correcting Code (ECC) Memory is a kind of memory that has special circuitry to ensure the accuracy of data while passing in and out of memory. It is mainly used in servers that _should not crash_ and require accuracy/stability.

ECC is slower than regular RAM, which is why you won't find it in PowerMac G5s anytime soon. Simply put: more expensive, slower, but more stable.

If you want to know more, head over to this page. It explains ECC clearly without going too technical.
I heard that the lack of EEC was meaning that the machine could only be run for small calculations (in supercomuter terms), and was causing major errors on some of the trial calculations...

There was even talk of switching to an XServe (with EEC RAM) setup to improve things...

Anyone know if they got it sorted in the end, or if the machine is still 'limited' in it's usage because of the RAM?

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Jan 16, 2004, 07:39 PM

Other factors to think of that'd bump-up the cost:

- Shipping/Frieght
- Tax...?
- AppleCare warranties or some-sort of service contract...? (yeah, right)

Then again, you'd think they'd get them cheaper because:

- Bulk purchase
- Educational institution
- Good press for Apple

Dunno... I'd hate to review THAT packing slip.

Forum Links
Forum Rules