Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > LacIe FireWire 400/800 Hard Drives

LacIe FireWire 400/800 Hard Drives
Tim Kosch
Aug 4, 2004, 05:08 PM

I have a dual 2.0 Ghz G5 and a 1.25 Ghz AlBook that I want to use with iMovie, iDVD, etc. All of my USB and FireWire 400 ports on my G5 are being used so I was looking for an external FireWire 800 hard drive.

LaCie has two drives that look promising. They are the LaCie d2 Hard Drive Extreme (250 GB) and the LaCie d2 Triple Interface Hard Drive (250 GB). They look exactly the same spec wise but the triple interface drive also has a USB interface. Anyone know anything about these or have experience with them?

I also will use it with my Pro Tools set-up.

Thanks for any help.

Tim

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 4, 2004, 05:10 PM

Remember that FireWire can be daisy-chained, and that you can also use a FW400 device on the FW800 port with the proper cable or plug adapter.

tooki

Tim Kosch  (op)
Aug 4, 2004, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Remember that FireWire can be daisy-chained, and that you can also use a FW400 device on the FW800 port with the proper cable or plug adapter.

tooki
Thanks for the quick response!

I have one FireWire 400 port (the front one) with my Canon ZR-85 and the back one used for my NEW! 23" cinema display hub which has the iPod dock connected to the display hub. Could I/would I want to plug a hard drive in first and then the cinema display into the hard drive? I would doubt it would be adviseable to plug the hard drive into the display hub

I guess I am also curious about the speed difference between the FW 400 and 800 in general. I think this might be more important for Pro Tools.

A side question...if you hook an FW 800 device into a FW 400 port does it basically limit it to the speed of the FW 400 port?

Tim

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by Tim Kosch:
I have a dual 2.0 Ghz G5 and a 1.25 Ghz AlBook that I want to use with iMovie, iDVD, etc. All of my USB and FireWire 400 ports on my G5 are being used so I was looking for an external FireWire 800 hard drive.

LaCie has two drives that look promising. They are the LaCie d2 Hard Drive Extreme (250 GB) and the LaCie d2 Triple Interface Hard Drive (250 GB). They look exactly the same spec wise but the triple interface drive also has a USB interface. Anyone know anything about these or have experience with them?

I also will use it with my Pro Tools set-up.

Thanks for any help.

Tim
Jus' bought a d2 extreme (fw 400/fw 800) 250 gb last week. It seems to work just fine. Superficial point here, I realize, but the nifty aluminum enclosure looks good next to my G5, and (when oriented vertically) the blue light looks cool. Other than that, it's an external hd. FW 800 makes it somewhat speedy. The FW 400 aspect means I can hook it up to my iMac or my ibook as well. Always mounts for me, hasn't hung anything up. 'Bout what I'd expect in an external HD.

If I planned on buying a PC (or had a decent one), I'd consider the triple interface LaCie. But if I was going to spend money on a PC I'm afraid I'd just smash my fingers with a hammer until I lost the whole PC notion.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 5, 2004, 12:18 AM

I would doubt it would be adviseable to plug the hard drive into the display hub
Why not? That's what it's for!

tooki

Tim Kosch  (op)
Aug 5, 2004, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Why not? That's what it's for!

tooki
I wondered if there would be problems having it second in line. The DigiDesign Mbox and Midiman 4x4 MIDI interface don't like being connected to a USB hub so I thought it might be better to have it directly connected to the G5.

I just got a MacConnection catalog today and they don't list the triple interface hard drive smaller than the 320 GB one in the catalog but they are on the website.

Apple's educational price ($259) for the LaCie d2 Hard Drive Extreme (250 GB) is $20 cheaper than anywhere else online. That doesn't seem too bad of a deal, eh?

Tim

Tim Kosch  (op)
Aug 5, 2004, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Jus' bought a d2 extreme (fw 400/fw 800) 250 gb last week. It seems to work just fine. Superficial point here, I realize, but the nifty aluminum enclosure looks good next to my G5, and (when oriented vertically) the blue light looks cool. Other than that, it's an external hd. FW 800 makes it somewhat speedy. The FW 400 aspect means I can hook it up to my iMac or my ibook as well. Always mounts for me, hasn't hung anything up. 'Bout what I'd expect in an external HD.

If I planned on buying a PC (or had a decent one), I'd consider the triple interface LaCie. But if I was going to spend money on a PC I'm afraid I'd just smash my fingers with a hammer until I lost the whole PC notion.
Hey Rev-O, where did you buy your drive from? My friend was telling about these hard drives in the latest MacWorld that looked like the G5 aluminum enclosures. Does it closely match the G5? I really appreciate the aesthetic value of my set-ups. Does it get very warm?

Thanks.

Tim

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2004, 02:44 AM

Hey Rev-O, where did you buy your drive from? My friend was telling about these hard drives in the latest MacWorld that looked like the G5 aluminum enclosures. Does it closely match the G5? I really appreciate the aesthetic value of my set-ups. Does it get very warm?

Thanks.

Tim

Not a dead ringer for my G5. Hell, it's not even close. But it is metal. I like to think it is aluminum, but LaCie calls it a "metal alloy that dissipates heat"... yah, whatever. It looks better in person than in a picture. The blue light on top is kinda spiffy, and the vertical orientation is slick. Looks good sitting next to my G5, which is on top of the desk (after spending that much money, no way I'm hiding my G5 under a desk!), kinda like the Gilligan to the G5's Skipper.
Heat isn't a problem (so far), and it is fanless, which means quite operation but lifespan is a question mark. Went with the LaCie because I've been told that they make good stuff and it looks nice. Most external firewire hd's look like crap.
Picked it up at the Apple store for roughly $280 + tax. Looks like you can get it for about $20 cheaper online. Only downside: plan on buying good backup software, if that's what you are thinking about. The freebie app that LaCie throws in isn't, shall we say, intuitive.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2004, 08:35 AM

You can always check the lacie clearance page

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2004, 09:10 AM

LaCie drives are great looking (I have a 250 Porsche) and, that is what we want most, extremely reliable.
I am using mine for DVD authoring and DV editing.
All the guys around me doing DV edit are runing on Lacie FW HD.

I put ALL my trust in it, even if I plan to buy another disk to RAID 0, we are NEVER precaucious enough! ;o)

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2004, 02:52 PM

Anyway to buy just the enclosure??

Forum Links
Forum Rules