Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Left files for bankruptcy

The Left files for bankruptcy
NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 04:26 PM

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/09/13/...ica-bankruptcy

EXCLUSIVE: Air America To Declare Bankruptcy, But Progressive Radio Remains Strong
Air America Radio will announce a major restructuring on Friday, which is expected to include a bankruptcy filing, three independent sources have told ThinkProgress.

Air America could remain on the air under the deal, but significant personnel changes are already in the works. Sources say five Air America employees were laid off yesterday and were told there would be no severance without capital infusion or bankruptcy. Also, Air America has ended its relationship with host Jerry Springer.

The right wing is sure to seize on Air America’s financial woes as a sign that progressive talk radio is unpopular. In fact, Air America succeeded at creating something that didn’t exist: the progressive talk radio format. That format is now established and strong and will continue with or without Air America. Indeed, many of the country’s most successful and widely-syndicated progressive talk hosts — Ed Schultz and Stephanie Miller, for instance — aren’t even associated with Air America.

Radio giant Clear Channel is so committed to progressive talk radio that, this week, it will announce a partnership with the Center for American Progress and MSS Inc. to conduct a nationwide search for the next Progressive Talk Radio Star.

"old" Rule 8 post: I found this article interesting and indicative of the popularity of the "left".

your thoughts?

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2006, 04:32 PM

What a ridiculous title. Stick your partisan-ness in your ear.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2006, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by NYCFarmboy

"old" Rule 8 post: I found this article interesting and indicative of the popularity of the "left".

your thoughts?
What do you mean 'old' rule 8?

http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...d-rules-fight/

It is the current and active rule 8.

Regardless, I tried listening to Air America Radio on occation and I have to admit that the Jerry Springer program was the best, that Al Franken was not so good. Rather boring. Springer was damn good.

However, I couldn't be bothered. Unlike quality radio like Le Show with Harry Shearer and other this was just too irritating to listen to because of commercials. Endless stream of stupid commercials. Five minutes of programming and two minutes of commercials.

If that's the only way to run a station that is just talk-radio and doesn't even have to pay royalties and gets sponsorship from political entities.. well the good riddance.

This is not a channel that works with commercials. Try it without them and perhaps ask for donations like public radio and this might just work. One more inane commercial about 'democratic dating'...

PS. the title of this thread is very stupid -- about as great as seeing a "help!! now!!! urgent!!!" thread in the Applications forum or OS X forum.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2006, 04:37 PM

NYC: do you watch Stephen Colbert too? WHat a crazy jump...

The failure of this business indicates the failings of the left? Isn't that a bit of a stretch? What about all the people that didn't even get Air America, just for starters?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2006, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
NYC: do you watch Stephen Colbert too? WHat a crazy jump...

The failure of this business indicates the failings of the left? Isn't that a bit of a stretch? What about all the people that didn't even get Air America, just for starters?
Stephen Colbert is the best political satire since ever coming from the US. Amazing in fact.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 05:04 PM

I've never listened to Air America, I guess I'm to blame!

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 05:22 PM

If you think the right is gonna hold on to Congress because Air America is filing for bankruptcy--keep dreaming.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 05:28 PM

Perhaps conservative works best for radio (Limbaugh etc.) and liberal works best on video (Michael Moore, Daily Show, etc.). Hell if I know why that would be though...

Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 05:28 PM

Maybe its harder to keep listeners without declaring "War On [fill in the blank]."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
If you think the right is gonna hold on to Congress because Air America is filing for bankruptcy--keep dreaming.

Well, so far it looks like the left wlll pick up a lot of ground, but the right will still control congress according to this:

2006 Election Guide - Senate, House and Governors' Races from The New York Times - New York Times

It might be too early for these sort of polls to be relevant though, I don't know...

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2006, 05:31 PM

Nice of Farmboy to leave immediately after posting this. Apparently he'd like the results percolate before perusing the thread.

NYCFarmboy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 07:20 PM

huh? just perusing the threads in response as noted in my rule 8 posting thats why i posted as I was very interested to see the how the left and everyone else feels about this.

NYCFarmboy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
What do you mean 'old' rule 8?

http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...d-rules-fight/

It is the current and active rule 8.

V
oh I thought that silly rule had been dropped! ooops. anyhoooooo..I of course did comply with the good ol' rule #8er.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2006, 07:23 PM

huh? just perusing the threads in response as noted in my rule 8 posting thats why i posted as I was very interested to see the how the left and everyone else feels about this.

I do hope you realize that this message is in violation of Rule 14b. Nice going!

NYCFarmboy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
What a ridiculous title. Stick your partisan-ness in your ear.
well isn't that the purpose of this forum? (well not for my ear anyhow).

NYCFarmboy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 07:25 PM

I do hope you realize that this message is in violation of Rule 14b. Nice going!

thanks!!!!

Mark Larr
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2006, 07:35 PM

Air America shows just how popular the leftist mantra really is.

What's the sound of one cricket chirping?

If Airmerica is playing in the woods, does anyone care?
Shut up and eat your paisley.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Larr

How does Air America show how popular the left is? Maybe, just maybe, it shows how popular Air America was as a business? I mean, there are millions of Democrats out there, so surely this is large enough of an audience for a radio show, assuming they can get this show on their radio? Wait.... maybe they can't? Or... maybe some on the Left just didn't particularly care for the show.... hmmmmm.... so much to consider here.... so many variables.

Nah, the leftist mantra is just unpopular. Yeah, that's it! Simple and sweet, and doesn't require a whole lot of thinking... a winning combination in my books!

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2006, 07:41 PM

well isn't that the purpose of this forum?
I'd say the majority of posters here think that.

I guess all those years that the democrats were in power while having nowhere near the radio presence the right had were just an aberration.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2006, 07:42 PM

Apparently hate-filled broadcasts don't attract an audience.

All I ever heard was a bunch of non-stop whining and criticism.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy

Are you referring to Air America or Michael Savage?

Seriously to this thread, plenty of comic relief so far.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2006, 07:49 PM

That would be a fair argument if it wasn't coming from you. I just know if you were asked to elaborate a little you'd probably go on about how great Republican radio shows, or Bill O'Reilly or Coulter or somebody is in comparison, because this sort of thing doesn't seem to cause you to pause and think.

andi*pandi
Sep 13, 2006, 07:50 PM

right-wing radio is full of love and puppies?

<<never listened to either kind, unless you count NPR

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2006, 07:54 PM

I like love and puppies, together or separate.... although I don't like making love to puppies. Not really to my taste, thank you very much.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 08:10 PM

It might be too early for these sort of polls to be relevant though, I don't know...
Yes... the only polls that are relevant are the election results.

D. S. Troyer
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak
What about Poland?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2006, 08:16 PM

looks like another Republican landslide victory in '08.

Just like '04 - as I correctly predicted.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2006, 08:30 PM

looks like another Republican landslide victory in '08.

Just like '04 - as I correctly predicted.

How do you define "landslide"?

Wait a minute... I don't really care.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 08:47 PM

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/09/13/...ica-bankruptcy

your thoughts?
Maybe it just shows that only the "right" is backward enough to listen to the radio...

Stop being a tool of powers that have a vested interest in keeping ordinary Americans squabbling over non-issues while they continue to exploit us and the other five and a half billion people in the world.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 08:48 PM

Especially when corporations fix the results...then the polls really don't matter.

NYCFarmboy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling
Especially when corporations fix the results...then the polls really don't matter.

oh puullllllllleeeeeeeease..... just because your candidate lost doesn't mean you have to demean others right to vote.

thats quite sad.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 09:09 PM

<accidental-post />

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 13, 2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 09:18 PM

Given the reputation of talk radio, I'm proud of liberals that we don't listen to it.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2006, 10:31 PM

Why bother listening to leftwing radio when you can get the same message from any university professor, mainstream TV news channel, or newspaper.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2006, 10:42 PM

Why bother listening to leftwing radio when you can get the same message from any university professor, mainstream TV news channel, or newspaper.
This is an excellent point; why indeed?

We know from recent elections that the approximately 1/2 of the American population is left leaning, so the fact that Air America is declaring bankruptcy probably isn't an indication of a drop in public support for the Left. So, what does it tell us? Possibly that, unlike those leaning to the right, those leaning to the left don't listen to the radio to be told what to think.

So, left-leaners are probably looking to other sources to be told what to think.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2006, 11:01 PM

Exactly. Somebody has to tell 'em what they stand for.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2006, 11:06 PM

Exactly. Somebody has to tell 'em what they stand for.
Yes, but I hope you're agreeing with me that the majority of people on both sides of the fence need somebody to tell 'em what they stand for. The difference only appears to be where they look for that voice.

marden
Baninated
Sep 13, 2006, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
Yes, but I hope you're agreeing with me that the majority of people on both sides of the fence need somebody to tell 'em what they stand for. The difference only appears to be where they look for that voice.
Yes. Thats why Bush should spill the beans.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2006, 11:11 PM

Conservatives tend to look for reaffirmation of what they already believe. Some call these beliefs "core values" and they are rather unchanging.

Liberals tends to look for something to believe in. And those beliefs change with the wind.

marden
Baninated
Sep 13, 2006, 11:22 PM

Conservatives tend to look for reaffirmation of what they already believe. Some call these beliefs "core values" and they are rather unchanging.

Liberals tends to look for something to believe in. And those beliefs change with the wind.
Real shepherds look out for ALL the sheep even the smallest most innocent lamb.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2006, 11:24 PM

I think the end result is ultimately the same, but, fair enough.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2006, 11:50 PM

I think a lot of folks believe I don't like liberals - and that they don't serve any purpose.

On the contrary, conservatives need liberals. There is a purpose for them. It would be difficult to know your direction without some sort of guidepost. Unchallenged ideas would result in bad ideas.

I wouldn't bother participating in this forum if there were no liberals. I enjoy the battle of ideas.

D. S. Troyer
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 11:55 PM

From another thread...

The world has been changing all my life - and for every generation before.

There is always a new doomsday scenario. The world has been in its last days since the first day humans walked the Earth.

Everybody has a need to feel like their life is special - like their lifetime is the only one that ever mattered - that was ever significant.

There has always been an enemy of America for as long as I've been alive. There seems to be a neverending stream of enemies. I believe we *need* things to be that way. For the same reason we need competitors in sporting events. Uncertainty and challenge is what drives humans to excel, what gives us a reverence for life, what prevents mental stagnation, what makes life interesting.

To be safe and satisfied with your way of life is akin to a living hell. There would be no purpose to life other than to live and then die.

While many folks extoll the virtues of peace, freedom, and prosperity - I see it as a highway of complacency and utter boredom, ending with an off-ramp of disinterest and lack of self-worth.

If Tiger Woods had no competitors and no opportunities to be defeated I doubt he'd pursue the game of golf.

If Americans had no competitors and no opportunities to be defeated I doubt they'd pursue the ideals of American life.

Some say we need to change.

I say we need to do whatever we've been doing. It's hard to argue with the results.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 12:00 AM

like i said. core values are unchanging.

"some say we need to change" refers to liberals.

thanks for showing that unchanging core values also works well on a national level as well as an individual level.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 12:15 AM

Apparently 60 percent of Americans against the Iraq war is not popular subscription to the leftest mantra?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
Apparently 60 percent of Americans against the Iraq war is not popular subscription to the leftest mantra?
There are plenty of conservatives in there who are upset with how Bush is fighting the war. They want more troops, more bombs, more aggressive action.

Conservative disagreement with Bush factors into his approval ratings as well. Consevatives want smaller government. They want the borders shut down. So many of them will disapprove of how the President is doing at a given time.

There is a core of 48% that will hate Bush no matter what he does, so the best he can ever hope for is 52%, and that's if a lot of left-leaning moderates are feeling cheery that day. So realistically, the best Bush can really do is closer to 47%.

My point: There are a good amount of true conservatives who disapprove of various Bush policies, and this is not to be confused as their "subscribing to the leftist mantra". It's more because Bush isn't subscribing to true conservative ideals.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 01:33 AM

There are plenty of conservatives in there who are upset with how Bush is fighting the war. They want more troops, more bombs, more aggressive action.

Conservative disagreement with Bush factors into his approval ratings as well. Consevatives want smaller government. They want the borders shut down. So many of them will disapprove of how the President is doing at a given time.
Apparently someone needs to study a bell curve. Most people in this country are neither Republican or Democrat, they are moderates. You know. Swing voters.

They're not conservatives who are upset with Bush. They're moderates who voted for him who wish they hadn't. That's why they're moderates. They switch sides without allegiance to a party. Currently they like what the liberals say.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2006, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by itai195
I've never listened to Air America, I guess I'm to blame!
i listen to the mother jones podcasts. they're on air american i believe.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 01:58 AM

your thoughts?
You're just another right wing spammer, jumping on everything that might tarnish the image of the left to distract from the terrible job your own failed ideology is doing, proving once again that the American right is the bottom barrel scum of the political landscape.

Good enough?

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Forum Links
Forum Rules