Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Fresh spinach carries E. Coli and kills a few. Are you scared?

Fresh spinach carries E. Coli and kills a few. Are you scared?
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 12:52 PM

CNN.com - Health chiefs: Don't eat bagged spinach - Sep 15, 2006

This deadly bacteria colonizes in your intestinal tract and causes diarrhea (sp) until you die.

Bagged spinach was in my diet until today, when I read this. Will you abide by this warning?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 01:11 PM

Hell yes I'll abide by that warning. Especially since its been found in my state. I love spinach but I love being healthy even more. They say it usually only kills the elderly or the very young, as it causes liver failure. But most just get very ill.

Curse you spinach!

mindwaves
Sep 15, 2006, 02:22 PM

I just bought 2 bundles of fresh spinach a couple of days ago and I already had one bundle and I have been well since. But although I know this just supposedly affects bagged spinach, but I am going to toss the rest of my spinach out. Not worth dying for.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 02:30 PM

Ugh. My wife and I eat those bags of spinach all the time, but we always cook it. It's been a week or two since we last ate any, so we should be ok.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2006, 03:01 PM

If it doesn't kill you, it will make you stronger.

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 03:08 PM

Ok in the U.S. not Canada.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2006, 03:18 PM

Ugh, just had some last night!

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 15, 2006, 03:32 PM

Cody's probably at the doctor.
ice

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
If it doesn't kill you, it will make you stronger.

It also gives you hypertrophic forearms, a speech impediment, and a sudden tendency for violent behavior.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Lava Lamp Freak
Sep 15, 2006, 04:59 PM

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2006, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
Ok in the U.S. not Canada.

Canadians warned not to eat U.S. fresh spinach
( Last edited by Eug; Sep 15, 2006 at 09:20 PM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2006, 09:45 PM

Never eaten spinach in my life. I try to eat forms of lettuce and such, but every kind makes me gag involuntarily. It's embarrassing, especially in public, so I only try at home. Hopefully I can force my way into liking salads.

forkies
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
every kind makes me gag involuntarily
wow, i love salads, so i can't imagine gagging while eating them i wouldn't worry about forcing yourself to like something though, is it worth it? you like what you like, no?

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 11:59 PM

The affected spinach is of the "organic" type, because they are fertilized with manure. Is no vegetable safe now?

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2006, 12:12 AM

The water they used was contaminated, at least that is what I am hearing... I work/live in the Salinas Valley, and its a big deal around here. The fields next to my office are spinach, and probably every spinach crop will be tilled over soon... I guess this scare teaches us that Feces is organic, allowing them to keep the "organically grown" sticker.. even though the harvesting machines are cleaned with chemicals

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 01:29 AM

I work at a natural foods grocery store, and we pulled EVERYTHING in our store that contained spinach, EXCEPT canned foods, so everything in the deli, and all bagged and fresh stuff was pulled...

Zach

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 16, 2006, 07:50 AM

Was it untreated manure?

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
The affected spinach is of the "organic" type, because they are fertilized with manure. Is no vegetable safe now?

nope... have some pizza or a hamburger.
( Last edited by NYCFarmboy; Sep 18, 2006 at 09:05 AM. )

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Sep 17, 2006, 08:53 PM

I was a bit shocked when I ordered my pizza with spinach on it and they said sorry no more since spinach problem is fixed. I said huh? Things you miss when you go camping for the weekend.
- Eric

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2006, 09:06 PM

Natural Selections is just a suspect. I dont think there is any proof it was their product, but that won't stop lawsuits from being brought forth.

hayesk
Sep 17, 2006, 11:00 PM

This deadly bacteria colonizes in your intestinal tract and causes diarrhea (sp) until you die.

Bagged spinach was in my diet until today, when I read this. Will you abide by this warning?
Many people ingest E. Coli and are fine. It's only a problem if you ingest too much. While the recall is a good idea, Spinach will be fine to eat now and in the future.

E. Coli shows up in all kinds of foods in lethal and non-lethal quantities. Anyone who takes spinach out of their diets (on a permanent basis) are being irrational and paranoid.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 03:58 AM

Nasty Stuff!

There isn't even a cure for it, they just have to try to replace your fluid levels and cross your fingers that your immune system will take care of it.

---
How did this strain of E. coli come to be?
Since bacterial cells are all over the place, it is possible for them to acquire genetic information from other sources (bacterial viruses, plasmids, or just naked pieces of DNA floating around and about) - bacteria are "pretty good" at this - this information has nothing to do with the original genetic information necessary for the survival of the bacterium - although in some cases, acquisition of this information may provide an advantage for survival. In the case of E.coli O157:H7, a long-ago cell appears to have been infected with a bacterial virus. This particular virus had the ability to insert its own DNA into the bacteria's chromosome without harming the bacterium - and to remain there. Now, every time this bacterial cell divided, the virus DNA, being now a part of the bacterial DNA, was passed on to every daughter cell - and now, we have the E.coli strain, O157:H7.... This virus's genetic information (genes) unfortunately (for us) contained information for the production of a toxin, called Shiga-like toxin (SLT), or is sometimes called, Vero toxin. Consequently, this strain of E.coli, and all of its progeny produce this toxin. The toxin is a protein which causes severe damage to intestinal epithelial cells (the cells that line the wall of the intestine). The damage is so severe that if we acquire this bacterial strain, not only do we lose water and salts, blood vessels are damaged, and bleeding occurs - lots of bleeding - hemorrhaging. This condition is particularly dangerous to small children - may be lethal - children are too small to tolerate much blood and fluid loss. It is for this reason that small children should not be allowed to become dehydrated, even in mild cases of diarrhea. Too, in some cases another syndrome is involved which is called hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS), which is characterized by kidney failure and loss of red blood cells. Approximately 5% to 10% of little kids progress to this stage of disease - which is very dangerous for them. In severe cases, the disease can cause permanent kidney damage. The presence of this bacterium can also be very dangerous to the elderly or infirm. There can be a combination of HUS and some other things which involve the blood system, which can be lethal to the elderly in 50% of the cases. So, E.coli O157:H7 is a dangerous organism, for sure.

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 10:19 AM

It is in the U.S. not Canada; it is just like the avian flu, it exists on other contients not in North America and there is no reason to panick without proof. You know when you should panick if your neighbour has the avian flu and if Popeye comes in person to force you to eat American spinach. It is like the medical society, the red cross and many governmental agencies screwed so badly with AIDS that they will panick with just about anything.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 18, 2006, 11:20 AM

Am I scared??

No.

I mean it is like watching the movie Jaws... if there is a big fish in the water going around eating people... DON'T GO IN THE WATER!

If there is a problem with Spinach right now.. I'm not gonna eat any.

Yes obviously it can happen with any food at any time and I know lots of people who have gotten some form of food poisoning / salmonella from chicken but not one of them was "Scared" of chicken after it cleared up.

But either way stuff like this is so troubling to watch, I mean it seems the American media is always trying to scare its viewers. Exactly for what reason is up for discussion though. Perhaps it is for ratings, control or people just aren't happy unless they have to worry about something and then feel like someone can "protect" them.

If you live in the US try watching a news station from outside of your own country some time and you can instantly see the difference.

"Hello, what have we here?

deedar
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 09:29 AM

This is not true. Organic spinach is fertilized with compost, not manure. Conventional spinach is fertilized primarily with municipal waste sludge. Which would you rather eat? BTW, it appears that the contaminated spinach is from the conventional farming side of a large packing and shipping operation, not the organic side.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by NYCFarmboy
nope... have some pizza or a hamburger.
ya. see. that's that bullshit. here i am, damn near vegan, and i get e-coli scares? i thought that was one of the benefits of this veg crap!

you can't win.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2006, 12:07 PM

This is not true. Organic spinach is fertilized with compost, not manure. Conventional spinach is fertilized primarily with municipal waste sludge. Which would you rather eat? BTW, it appears that the contaminated spinach is from the conventional farming side of a large packing and shipping operation, not the organic side.
Locally grown organic (small scale) probably only uses compost... but large scale organic growers use Cattle and Chicken manure along with compost. Chemical fertilizer or chicken poop, which would I rather eat? Ill stick with the chemicals thank you.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2006, 01:20 PM

/gasp @ the frog.

-Owl

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2006, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy
/gasp @ the frog.

-Owl
Same here! No one else even flinched!

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2006, 02:20 PM

Are you sure about that? I thought I read Dole was one of the growers affected, and I'm not sure they are growing organically.

Anyway, I won't eat any spinach until they have found the cause and resolved it. No reason to go any further than that.

GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2006, 04:31 PM

I can't take it anymore!

Please edit this thread to "E. coli". Species names are always lower case. I can't believe how many web sites exist where I've seen this mistake.

(sorry, it's late, Friday, long week and I need to go now . . . . . )

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by GFitzy
I can't take it anymore!

Please edit this thread to "E. coli". Species names are always lower case. I can't believe how many web sites exist where I've seen this mistake.

(sorry, it's late, Friday, long week and I need to go now . . . . . )
It does not take you much to get you angry.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2006, 05:29 PM

E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli! E. Coli!

GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2006, 10:39 AM

sorry, but it is no different than a spelling or grammar error to me.

-gfitzy

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Sep 25, 2006, 12:04 PM

I work in a Resturaunt here in Canada called Moxies. All of our salads come with only Romaine or Iceberg lettuce until further notice. Spinach and Spring Mix are not used what so ever, even if a customer says it's okay. We do not have any in the whole place.

Frankly I like spinach, but I would not risk it.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules