Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 46)
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2006, 08:25 PM

The first wave of titles for a new console are mostly projects moved over from the previous generation's console. Seeing as how the GCN and Wii are so alike, this was definately part of the strategy.

So most of the launch games imho, are GCN games ported to run on the Wii. Even Zelda is identical graphically(polygons, tectures, draw distances, etc) to the Wii. And it's a nice Wii game, but a georgous GCN game.... and when you factor in the load times, scope, etc....thats a HECK OF A LOT of stuff to pull off a single GCN disc, no ?

Graphically if Zelda is the new baseline for new games on the Wii....im quite satisified in the power/visual department.

If developers are rushing to get launch titles out (like Ubisoft, unfortunately)... you cant really expect much. but especially for you whiners who complained that the GCN didnt have many games......this was to address your bitching. now you have plenty, and yet you found another reason to complain.

starman and SWG, dont like your Wii ? flog it, and be happy. do you seriously get satisfacation constantly whining about a product, even you guys purchased, on message boards ? start a thread and praise your XB360, PS3 and PS2 to the heavens, but this constant bickering, whining, complaining is really getting old. Whats the point of it ? are you trying to get all of us who enjoy Nintendo products to "switch" ? if not and your just stating your opinion, youve done so and we all know by heart what it is.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2006, 08:29 PM

So when I spend $250 on something I have to sing its praises? I can't say what's bad about it?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2006, 08:33 PM

Youve said it a million friggon times. we get it. move on with your life. sell it, if its so bad. no ones holding a gun to your head and asking you to keep it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Youve said it a million friggon times. we get it. move on with your life. sell it, if its so bad. no ones holding a gun to your head and asking you to keep it.
And yet, nobody's keeping me from posting what I do and don't like about it here either.

Please quote MacNN videogame console forum rules that say "you're not allowed to say anything negative whether you own it or not" and I'll stop.

I happen to like talking about the industry with MOST people here.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2006, 08:50 PM

By all means discuss it. thats cool. You guys seem to be saying the same negative things over and over again. it's getting annoying.

Apparently your definition of "discussion about video games" = bash Nintendo, praise Microsoft and Sony. So yeah....

ill recap. SWG and starman hate nintendo because:
-kiddie image
-low powered hardware
-"gimmicky" control
-overpriced
-no games

did i miss anything ? if i did say your peace and then start talking about something else. you guys have just gotten plain boring now (a waste of webspace )

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2006, 09:09 PM

I'll make it easy for you. Put me on ignore.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2006, 01:49 PM

Happy Holidays With Pauline?
tin pot, garden shed

Turias
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2006, 05:22 PM

Heh, I had hoped these things would have become a little easier to find by now. Early Sunday morning there were people camping outside of Target with sleeping bags since they had heard a shipment was coming in that day. I've been trying to get one for a few weeks, but I'm just not willing to put that much effort into it. Most I'm willing to do is call a bunch of stores and then head on down if they have one in stock. Looks like I'll be waiting another month or so...

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 05:38 PM

I drove around to a few shops looking for Wiis and DSes yesterday. As I pulled into a GameStop parking lot some guy leaving says "looking for Nintendo Wiis?" "yeah" "they're all sold out. I was camping out here since 1am. I didn't get one."

Poor guy.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I drove around to a few shops looking for Wiis and DSes yesterday. As I pulled into a GameStop parking lot some guy leaving says "looking for Nintendo Wiis?" "yeah" "they're all sold out. I was camping out here since 1am. I didn't get one."

Poor guy.
Poor guy? It is not like he needs these game systems to live. If he is crazy enough to line up overnight I don't feel sorry for him.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post

Poor guy.

See, I just don't get this. It happens EVERY time a new console is released. You can't find them anywhere unless you are willing to camp out for 24-48 hours. Just wait 3-6 months and you will be able to walk into any game store, pick one up off the shelf, and walk out. Happened with the 360, it will happen with the PS3 and Wii too. Plus, there will be better games available in 3-6 months. Patience is a virtue and it pays off when it comes to new gaming consoles.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 05:46 PM

Cripes! I'm already stuck in Zelda!!11!

There's a bomb spider around the bridge area, floor level, of the jungle temple. It's got to be there for a reason, but I can't find anything to blow up. Got all the plants, etc. -- I'm talking about the bomb spider on the left side of the main platform, in the back, ground level. I think it has something to do with getting the chest to drop, which I still haven't figured out.

I suck at video games.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2006, 05:49 PM

All glory to the hypnotoad.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2006, 05:52 PM

First online Wii game uses game-specific friend code - Joystiq

Sounds pretty clunky. I've been really impressed with XBox Live so far. Haven't really had any issues at all, it's easy to find games, and there hasn't been much in the way of lag. And I love being able to download game demos so easily. Doesn't sound like Nintendo is putting the same stock into online play.

"I start fires!"

iomatic
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2006, 05:54 PM

Does anyone know of a good, hassle-free place/online shop/whatever to get another controller wand thingy? Seems grampa got one for the kids...

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 05:56 PM

Our Target has them all by the dozens.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
There's a bomb spider around the bridge area, floor level, of the jungle temple. It's got to be there for a reason, but I can't find anything to blow up. Got all the plants, etc. -- I'm talking about the bomb spider on the left side of the main platform, in the back, ground level. I think it has something to do with getting the chest to drop, which I still haven't figured out.
I don't recall that bomb spider specifically, but I don't think any bomb spider is needed to make the hanging chest drop. I find it's best just to solve puzzles as you come to them. If you see something and wrack your brain trying to figure out what puzzle it solves, a lot of times you'll be wasting your time because it doesn't become useful until you've done something else in the dungeon.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 06:00 PM

Apparently there's a boulder up where the bomb spider is (on the stairs where you kill the one plant). Blowing up that boulder reveals a door, and then I'll go from there.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 06:14 PM

"GN's recent review of the Japanese version of Pokemon Battle Revolution reveals that the game uses "a unique 12-digit friend code, different from your Wii system number," to identify you to potential online opponents. As if that wasn't bad enough, the game has "no actual lobby where you can see how many players are currently doing battle under the various rules of play," meaning it's hard to find new people to play against."

Goodie Gumdrops:
First online Wii game uses game-specific friend code - Joystiq

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 06:20 PM

finally got my wii.
firstly, on my 24" monitor the wii looks horrendous, seriously awful.
Text is barely readable, graphics look marginally better than the GameCube, but at least the GameCube games were smooth.
Zelda = awesome
Red Steel = terrible, the controls are so bad...
we don't have time to stop for gas

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Dec 18, 2006, 06:31 PM

"Blu-ray. The Cell Processor. The RSX graphics chip. The PS3 was supposed to be the most insanely advanced gaming machine ever created. It was supposed to be able to deliver visuals well beyond anything capable on console or PC. According to Sony, the next generation wasn't supposed to begin until PS3 arrived.

So why is it, then, that all these PS3 games look just the same as they do on the Xbox 360?"

Extreme Tech:
Sony's PS3: What the Cell?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 18, 2006, 06:37 PM

Because developers don't know how to use the PS3 and so all of those games were developed with the Xbox 360 in mind? And what does this have to do with the Wii, by the way?

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Cripes! I'm already stuck in Zelda!!11!

Make sure you get the map and compass to help with finding chests. That's a pretty dark temple and there were a few areas where I needed the lamp to spot those bombable spots.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Because developers don't know how to use the PS3 and so all of those games were developed with the Xbox 360 in mind? And what does this have to do with the Wii, by the way?
The XBox 360 and PS3 have the exact same speed of graphics card. The XBox 360 actually has the better graphics card. I don't think there are any XBox 360 vs. PS3 optimization issues.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by strictlyplaid View Post
So why is it, then, that all these PS3 games look just the same as they do on the Xbox 360?"[/url]
They don't.

Most of the launch games are just 360 ports and as mentioned devs say they have only tapped into 20% of the PS3 power. It is also rushed.

The same thing happens with any system. With the 360 Dead Rising was the first game to use all 3 of the Xbox's processors and it came 8 months after launch. GOW is the first real eye popping game and it came out 12 months after launch.

The Wii is supposed to be twice the power of the gamecube and the same or slightly better than the Xbox 1. So far ALL of the games are hardly up to gamecube levels and no where close to Xbox 1.

You have to hold first gen games against first gen games not first against second.

If you take first gen Xbox 360 games and put them against PS3 launch games the PS3 looks better absolutely. 8 Months from now the power of the PS3 will really start to show.

ink
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2006, 11:58 PM

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Reviews

The GCN version of Twilight Princess is currently scoring ever-so-slightly better than the Wii version. I picked mine up this week, and look forward to playing it. It's a mirror-image (flipped left-right) of the Wii version, so it corresponds to the OoT map more closely. Most of the reviews say that it's just as fun on the GCN as the Wii.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2006, 12:44 AM

Why is it the GCN? GameCube Nintendo?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2006, 01:36 AM

yes

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2006, 04:07 AM

Forecast channels is pretty nice...
tin pot, garden shed

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 08:02 AM

I've been playing Zelda: Twilight Princess for about 10 days now, and it has possibly become one of my all-time-favorite games. I dont think im even half way through this game...... but im just in awe at the quality and quantity of content in this game.

I've seen a couple of reviewers give the Wii version of this game the title of "Game of the year: 2006" and many have called it "one of the greats". i totally agree.

The surprising thing is .... the next-gen consoles are all out now....the PS3, XB360 and Wii. And this Zelda game is a GameCube game with Wii controls. It doesnt have the pixel shaders, the polygons, the VRAM, the MHzs or a big budget at its disposal, and yet it has managed to get this knd of applause.

It might just be me, but it seems as though this industry is a lot more focused on $$$, market share, etc, and it kinda sad, cause the "art" of it all has taken a back seat to business. Having played through the first few hours of this game, you can genuinely see the heart and soul that went into illustrating this game. And they did it with 5-year-old hardware.

I cant imagine how they managed to fit this amount of content onto a single GameCube disc, or even manage to push the hardware to the point where you experience virtually no load times with the amount of detail this world contains.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Dec 19, 2006 at 10:23 AM. )

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Why is it the GCN? GameCube Nintendo?
Basically.

NES = Nintendo Entertainment System
DMG = "Dot Matrix Game" (Game Boy)
SNS = Super NES
GBC = Game Boy Color
GBA = Game Buy Advance
N64 = Nintendo 64
DOL = "Dolphin" (GameCube) = GCN
RVL = "Revolution" (Wii)
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 08:30 AM

I've been playing Zelda: Twilight Princess for about 10 days now, and it has possibly become one of my all-time-favorite games. I dont think im even half way through this game...... but im just in awe at the quality and quantity of content in this game.

I've seen a couple of reviewers give the Wii version of this game the title of "Game of the year: 2006" and many have called it "one of the greats". i totally agree.

The surprising thing is .... the next-gen consoles are all out now....the PS3, XB360 and Wii. And this Zelda game is a GameCube game with Wii controls. It doesnt have the pixel shaders, the polygons, the VRAM or the MHzs or budget at its disposal, and yet it has managed to get this knd of applause.

It might just be me, but it seems as though this industry is a lot more focused on $$$, market share, etc, and it kinda sad, cause the "art" of it all has taken a back seat to business. Having played through the first few hours of this game, you can genuinely see the heart and soul that went into illustrating this game. And they did it with 5-year-old hardware.

I cant imagine how they managed to fit this amount of content onto a single GameCube disc, or even manage to push the hardware to the point where you experience virtually no load times, with this amount of detail this world contains.

Cheers
I'm loving the game, too. I'm not a "gamer" by any stretch of the imagination, so I'm more worried about having fun than how well the polygons are rendered. I don't care if I can't see wvey muscle on Link's body move when he walks, see his sweat, etc. I just want to have fun.

People like me are who Nintendo targeted with the Wii and all their other consoles.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
Forecast channels is pretty nice...
Is it out yet?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Is it out yet?
It was released this morning. Perform a Wii System Update to get it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 10:15 AM

Yup, I had the blue glow this morning telling me there was an update. It's a nice feature.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2006, 10:33 AM

Forecast Channel is very nice!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 10:48 AM

I'm not sure I'll use it for much, but it's a nifty toy if nothing else. Very well-done.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 10:49 AM

Same. I have to turn on my TV, switch everything to component for the Wii. I might as well just put on The Weather Channel.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 10:52 AM

Sometimes I wonder if I am the only one who doesn't give a rats ass about weather forecasts…
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Sometimes I wonder if I am the only one who doesn't give a rats ass about weather forecasts…
I'm still pretty sure you could show me the doppler maps and I'd be 80% as accurate as a trained professional.

Also, other than a blizzard, who gives a rats ass.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
It was released this morning. Perform a Wii System Update to get it.
It is cute. I'll never use it to actually check the weather but it was fun to play with for a minute.

After that it is dashboard on my Mac as it only takes 2 seconds to check the weather over the 60 seconds it takes to fire up the TV, WIi and launch the weather channel.

Oh and this is cute:
VG Cats - Comics - Updated Monday
( Last edited by Dark Helmet; Dec 19, 2006 at 12:04 PM. )

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
It is cute. I'll never use it to actually check the weather but it was fun to play with for a minute.
Whoa; we actually agree on something Wii-related. Isn't this supposed to be a sign of the apocalypse or something?

More news: the Internet channel has been confirmed for December 22 in all regions (beta; final release is scheduled for March). Free to download until June 2007, then a one-time cost of 500 Wii points thereafter.

This will probably be only slightly more useful than the Forecast channel, unless the browser supports keyboards.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 12:51 PM

I played last night for 5 more hours putting me past 20 hours and beating the Water temple (cool but super easy boss).

The gameplay is great for sure. The problem people have with it is the presentation which isn't great. No not just graphics but the entire presentation package is very dated.

You can still fire up classics like Secret Of Mana and be blown away with the size and gameplay but if they just released it on brand new hardware with the same cost for the game as the other systems and you can see why people don't call it "Best game ever".

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 19, 2006, 12:55 PM

Yeah, the Forecast Channel is cute but 100% pointless.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2006, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Same. I have to turn on my TV, switch everything to component for the Wii. I might as well just put on The Weather Channel.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to my scart cable arriving.
tin pot, garden shed

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 19, 2006, 01:05 PM

Sounds like a trial version of the web browser is due on the 22nd.

Wii system update: Forecast today, Opera on Friday [update 1] - Joystiq

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2006, 01:28 PM

The weather channel is region locked so that you can't get a 5 day forecast for outside your own country. urmmmm..... eh!!??!1!!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
I'm not sure I'll use it for much, but it's a nifty toy if nothing else. Very well-done.
Apparently the data will be available for use in games. So the local weather can be reflected in a game. I think that's a cool idea.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Apparently the data will be available for use in games. So the local weather can be reflected in a game. I think that's a cool idea.
Immediately I think of animal crossing.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
The weather channel is region locked so that you can't get a 5 day forecast for outside your own country. urmmmm..... eh!!??!1!!
WHAT? That's stupid. If you're travelling, oh nevermind.....

Forum Links
Forum Rules