Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Failed GIMP Install

Failed GIMP Install
nmatheis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2007, 05:04 PM

Hello

I'm new to the Mac world. I have used GIMP on my Linux desktop at home and would like to use it on my shiny new Macbook Pro. I tried to install X11 last night but can't get it to install, as my Macbook Pro informs me that it's already installed. I went ahead and installed GIMP, but when I try to run it I get an error message informing me that I don't have X11 installed. So I need to know how to get around this catch-22 so that I can get GIMP installed. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Nikolaus

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2007, 07:08 PM

Do you have the X11 installed in your Utilities folder? IF not, it is an optional install on your Tiger DVD.

nmatheis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2007, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Do you have the X11 installed in your Utilities folder? IF not, it is an optional install on your Tiger DVD.
Hey, thanks for the reply! I poked around a bit looking for the X11 app but couldn't find it. I didn't look specifically in the Utilities folder, though. I'll do that tonight when I get home.

The app I installed was GIMP.app, which I thought was supposed to recognize that you have X11 installed and open it automagically just prior to opening GIMP. But when I try to open GIMP, I get an error message about not haveing X11.

I tried to install X11 last night from the DVD that came with my MBP but can't figure out how to do it. It seemed to function more like a system restore disc in that it just initiated the install and made a brand-spanking new OS X install alongside my original install. How can I find the X11 app on the DVD and just install that if that's what needs to be done?

Probably a bunch of newbie questions, but it'd be great to have some help

Thanks!
Nikolaus

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2007, 07:26 PM

You need to startup the X11 application/environment, and then Gimp. There may be a Gimp launcher included with Gimp, but X11 apps aren't double-clickable like Mac apps, unfortunately.

nmatheis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2007, 07:48 PM

You need to startup the X11 application/environment, and then Gimp. There may be a Gimp launcher included with Gimp, but X11 apps aren't double-clickable like Mac apps, unfortunately.
Thanks for the help! I'll try that when I get home and hopefully get GIMP launched

nmatheis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2007, 01:59 AM

There's no X11 app in my Utilities folder. How do I go about getting it installed from the DVD that came with my Macbook Pro? I appreciate any time you can take to help me through this install. I use GIMP on my Linux desktop at home and on my Windows desktop at work and would love to have it installed on my MBP, as well. I tried Seashore, but it doesn't have all of GIMP's features that I use.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2007, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by nmatheis View Post
There's no X11 app in my Utilities folder. How do I go about getting it installed from the DVD that came with my Macbook Pro? I appreciate any time you can take to help me through this install. I use GIMP on my Linux desktop at home and on my Windows desktop at work and would love to have it installed on my MBP, as well. I tried Seashore, but it doesn't have all of GIMP's features that I use.
Double click on the "optional installs" package on the Tiger DVD.

nmatheis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2007, 01:23 PM

Double click on the "optional installs" package on the Tiger DVD.
Thanks again for the reply!

Since I bought a MBP with Tiger already installed, it came with two system restore CD/DVDs. The first has the base system and the second has the trial software. I 'll look for the Optional Installs package when I get home tonight. Is it just a .pkg file on the DVD - or do you have to start the install process and then select Optional Installs?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by nmatheis View Post
Thanks again for the reply!

Since I bought a MBP with Tiger already installed, it came with two system restore CD/DVDs. The first has the base system and the second has the trial software. I 'll look for the Optional Installs package when I get home tonight. Is it just a .pkg file on the DVD - or do you have to start the install process and then select Optional Installs?

Hmmm.. I forgot that Apple doesn't provide a Tiger DVD but only those restore DVDs. I would imagine that the base system restore DVD would be pretty similar though, if not identical. The package should be available while browsing the DVD itself, but if not it should also be available as an optional install within the installer itself.

nmatheis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2007, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the help! I got X11 installed last night. GIMP is now installed and functional

Forum Links
Forum Rules