Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple's Shady Rebate Scheme

Apple's Shady Rebate Scheme
ShALLaX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2009, 11:39 AM

About 3 months ago, a couple of days after the launch of the 2008 MacBook Pros, I went into an Apple store and decided to take the plunge and get a shiny new MacBook. Just before I handed my credit card over to the sales person, I was informed that as I was buying a MacBook, I was entitled to a heavily discounted iPod. With Christmas just around the corner, I jumped at the offer as it'd make a cheap Christmas present. The catch? The discount had to be claimed as a rebate, which means paying the full price up front and then claiming the money back via post.

Before I even unpacked my MacBook, I went online and filled out and printed the rebate form, stapled my receipt and barcode label to the form, put it in an envelope and stuck the envelope in the post. One thing I noticed was that the offer was called the "Back to School" offer. I thought to myself "Is this offer for students only?". To put my mind to rest, I returned to the Apple store and asked for clarification from a sales person. They assured me that I was still eligible despite not being in education.

Christmas came and went, my mother was very grateful for her gift of an 8GB iPod Touch. Another month passed, and I suddenly recalled the rebate and the lack of communication regarding it for 3 months. The very next day, I received an email from Apple's promotions department stating that the offer was intended for students only and that I'd need to provide some form of identification proving that I was in full time education. Rather than getting out my old student ID and photoshopping the dates, I decided to be honest and explain exactly what had happened. The promotions department representative told me that I had to take this up with the manager of the store where the device was purchased from.

During a lunch break, I headed into Cambridge and stated my case. The staff, to their credit, were understanding, but said that the Apple store and the promotions department are separate companies with different tax codes and couldn't authorise the rebate. They did, however, offer me a refund. This was not the option I was looking for as it would mean taking my mother's gift back. I was told to contact the promotions department once again to explain that the device had been mis-sold and to see whether that would change anything.

After emailing the promotions department for one last time, I was told to contact customer service - there was no information about whether my case had been closed or whether it would be processed.

Today, I phoned customer services and was greeted by an extremely unhelpful person who explained, once again, that the Apple store, the online store and the promotions department are all actually separate companies and that had I bought the device from the online store, it would be within his remit to make right the situation, but as I had bought from a retail store, there was nothing he could do. He explained that the onus was on the store manager to remedy the complaint.

So, in summary:

1) Apple mis-sold me the iPod device. If I was a student, would I not have claimed a discount on the MacBook itself too? I made no false pretences about being in education.
2) Apple lied to me when I enquired about the offer upon returning to the store.
3) Apple's customer service is terrible. Everyone passes the buck and hides behind the excuse of each department being a different company. This really isn't the way to keep customers happy.
4) The Apple representative offering phone support claimed that as the device was 3 months old, it was outside of its return period. So by taking 3 months to query my rebate, Apple had effectively stripped me of my statutory rights. Apple's only saving grace is that they did offer me a refund, despite what I was told over the phone.

I believe I shall go back to the Apple store with my mother, iPod in hand, and ask the store manager to explain to her why he's taking her Christmas present back. If Apple is cold hearted enough to go through with the refund, I'll then purchase a brand new iPod (for the same price) from the same store to prove that money was never the issue and that it's the principle of the matter that counts.

I've been a faithful Apple customer for a good few years and have given them much business, but at the end of the day, it seems that the customer comes second.

Has anyone else had rebate issues like mine?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2009, 11:50 AM

Sorry to hear, this really sucks.

I have no bad experience with Apple, but I also covered my bases.
I have a student ID that has no expiration date on it. It was issued like that by my university, so I don't have to "lie" about anything, I'm just presenting a "fact", my student ID.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Sorry to hear, this really sucks.

I have no bad experience with Apple, but I also covered my bases.
I have a student ID that has no expiration date on it. It was issued like that by my university, so I don't have to "lie" about anything, I'm just presenting a "fact", my student ID.
That's just really effective fraud.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 31, 2009, 12:23 PM

Apple's rebates for "back to school" promotions aren't shady at all. Pretending to be a student when you're not IS shady. And as SH says, turtle777's presenting a student ID and letting the store people assume that it's still valid is indeed fraud. If enough people did this, then people like me who actually ARE students, could wind up losing out. Too much fraud and Apple could decide to drop these promotions entirely...

So ShALLaX, I'm sorry you had a lot of hassles, but you were apparently trying to take advantage of a promotion that wasn't meant for you. When I bought my aluminum iMac in August 2007, I took advantage of the iPod offer for a gift, and I know how wonderful that could be. But I was and still am (until this summer) a student...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2009, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
So ShALLaX, I'm sorry you had a lot of hassles, but you were apparently trying to take advantage of a promotion that wasn't meant for you.
That's not entirely fair. If ShALLaX's story is true, the sales person at the Apple store mislead him in a ruse to make an iPod sale in addition to a MacBook sale.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 31, 2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
That's not entirely fair. If ShALLaX's story is true, the sales person at the Apple store mislead him in a ruse to make an iPod sale in addition to a MacBook sale.
I didn't paint ShALLaX very well, did I. Sorry. But what I meant to point out was, whomever it was that suggested the Back to School rebate, it wasn't aimed at someone who wasn't a student. And it's not Apple that's shady in this issue, but the sales drone (and most Apple sales people have been much better than that in my experience).

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2009, 01:13 PM

And it's not Apple that's shady in this issue, but the sales drone (and most Apple sales people have been much better than that in my experience).
The "sales drone" is a paid representative of Apple, Inc. Therefore it is Apple that is being shady. The fact that the online store, Apple store, and promotions department are all separate companies is just unnecessary obfuscation that does nothing but alienate customers.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2009, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
That's just really effective fraud.
And what Apple is doing there isn't ?

I'm just saying: if I was told by Apple I can participate in a rebate that doesn't require me to be a student, and then they turn around months later and say I'd need to be, well, I would have no ethical dilemma presenting my never expiring student ID.

Btw, I don't use my student ID for purchases at Apple. I get the same and better prices at MacMall, w/o having to be a student

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2009, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
The "sales drone" is a paid representative of Apple, Inc. Therefore it is Apple that is being shady. The fact that the online store, Apple store, and promotions department are all separate companies is just unnecessary obfuscation that does nothing but alienate customers.
The sales drone is probably under pressure by Apple to sell as many things as possible and to accessorize laptop sales.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2009, 04:54 PM

Either that, or, for some reason, he just assumed that ShALLaX *was* a student (I've had similar misassumptions happen to me when working as a sales drone on hard days), OR, the sales drone simply didn't realize at that point that the rebate was limited to students. OR, it was simply a misunderstanding (more frequent than one might think).

None of these things are ShALLaX' fault, but OTOH, I can't really fault Apple for not being overly forthcoming after three months.

After all, turtle777's example of real, actual fraud is just one of the most harmless ways customers try to take advantage of retailers.

To err to the advantage of the customer is a good policy in general, but where iPods are concerned, I no longer believe *anything* a customer tells me.

I honestly don't believe that ShALLaX is the victim of an orchestrated scam.

And the refund option is definitely an extremely generous offering from the store manager, as it means he's already taking a fairly hefty loss on the device.

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2009, 05:45 PM

Go online and find your local BBS. (or http://us.bbb.org)
Complete a complaint online detailing your issue (heck paste your email into it).
Make a cup of tea and get comfortable. Apple will be calling soon.

Always works for me if your complaint is valid and yours sure is....

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 31, 2009, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
If the "representative" of Apple is not following Apple policy, then it's not Apple but the "representative" that's shady. Apple sets up these rebates for students, and the guy in the store that says "wink, wink, that's not really necessary" is violating corporate policy-on his own. Him, not Apple. Now if his manager knows about this it's more than just the one guy, but it's still not Apple that's shady here.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2009, 10:53 PM

If the "representative" of Apple is not following Apple policy, then it's not Apple but the "representative" that's shady. Apple sets up these rebates for students, and the guy in the store that says "wink, wink, that's not really necessary" is violating corporate policy-on his own. Him, not Apple. Now if his manager knows about this it's more than just the one guy, but it's still not Apple that's shady here.
It doesn't really matter if Apple knew about it, condoned it or not. (Well, it mattered if you wanted to go down the class-action suit route).

If an employe of Apple acted shady, the company is responsible and should be held liable.

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2009, 12:11 AM

But, *why* would an Apple "representative" do that? According to the story, at least, there was no "wink, wink". According to the story, the rep just told ShALLaX that a rebate was available.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2009, 06:40 AM

Well...

Either that, or, for some reason, he just assumed that ShALLaX *was* a student (I've had similar misassumptions happen to me when working as a sales drone on hard days), OR, the sales drone simply didn't realize at that point that the rebate was limited to students. OR, it was simply a misunderstanding (more frequent than one might think).

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 1, 2009, 07:18 AM

Sounds like it was a very confused employee -- or customer. (Though I am not claiming it is the case here, customers LOVE to hear what they want to hear, ignoring what they're being told.) Regardless, if the store misrepresented the rebate, then the store must make good for it, and that means refunding the value of the rebate, not just taking back the iPod. The three months are irrelevant, the cash register can (and will) do it with a manager override.

As for other claims: having worked in the retail arm, I can confirm that the different arms of the company do operate almost entirely independently, and that did sometimes cause customer service problems. But retail managers have plenty of leeway to fix things.

Who exactly did you talk to. You need to be talking to Apple Customer Relations (1-800-SOS-APPL, or [email protected]). They're the only people with the power to twist other departments' arms, including retail, rebate processors, etc.

ShALLaX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2009, 08:46 AM

I definitely did not mishear the sales person. I had two other work colleagues with me who never heard any mention of the offer being for students only. Not only that, but I was reassured that I'd be eligible after returning to the store to query the rebate. I spoke to two separate employees.

I've phoned apple twice now, both times I've asked to be put through to the customer relations department, both times I've been told that I don't need that department, instead they put me through to after sales.

I think I'll try one more time, being forceful about it.

I do find it funny how the Apple community is the only community I've seen that will try to stick up for Apple even in a case like this. I think this whole situation is unforgivable.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2009, 09:46 AM

Well, it sounds to me like it's the actual Apple Store employees' fault, barring evidence that Apple systematically trains people to do this. But I do think that Apple should step up and give you your rebate. And based on your telling of the story, I don't get why anyone thinks you were trying to do anything shady! I mean, you say you specifically asked if it was only for students and they told you it wasn't.

You're in an unfortunate situation where your word (and I guess that of your co-workers) is the only evidence you have that you were misled, but I think this is a situation where a higher-up at Apple should decide that they can eat the $200 to create a great-customer-service testimonial out of a bad one.

ShALLaX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2009, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Well, it sounds to me like it's the actual Apple Store employees' fault, barring evidence that Apple systematically trains people to do this. But I do think that Apple should step up and give you your rebate. And based on your telling of the story, I don't get why anyone thinks you were trying to do anything shady! I mean, you say you specifically asked if it was only for students and they told you it wasn't.

You're in an unfortunate situation where your word (and I guess that of your co-workers) is the only evidence you have that you were misled, but I think this is a situation where a higher-up at Apple should decide that they can eat the $200 to create a great-customer-service testimonial out of a bad one.
This is exactly my view on the situation. I laughed when I read the comment about Apple being "extremely generous" by offering a refund. It's not like they broke the law or anything by mis-selling me the device - am I supposed to be eternally grateful for a company actually following the UK sales act?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2009, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
I don't get why anyone thinks you were trying to do anything shady! I mean, you say you specifically asked if it was only for students and they told you it wasn't.
Nobody thinks that!

All I said was that based on personal experience, I wouldn't blame Apple for not giving him the benefit of the doubt. But they already offered him a refund, so they've already come through with goodwill, anyway.

ShALLaX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2009, 10:51 AM

This isn't "goodwill", a refund is the law. Goodwill would be giving me the rebate regardless.

It's incredible how people don't know their rights and are willing to be pushed over by companies, especially Apple.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by ShALLaX View Post
This isn't "goodwill", a refund is the law.
After three months?

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2009, 11:12 AM

I've phoned apple twice now, both times I've asked to be put through to the customer relations department, both times I've been told that I don't need that department, instead they put me through to after sales.

I think I'll try one more time, being forceful about it.
You've tried calling Apple twice and it hasn't gotten you anywhere. Why would a third time work? You need a specific name to contact, not anyone who picks up the phone because they are on duty at that time.

How about going to the store and asking to talk to the highest ranking manager on duty. Calmly explain your situation and notify the manager that you're contacting the BBB. Then ask for that manager's supervisor contact information. Take notes. Be prepared to compromise. Apple Store managers (the top manager) have incredible leeway when it comes to any customer situation.

Don't claim that you love Apple and will never buy another Apple product...nobody likes a fanboy turned crybaby. Especially Apple Store employees.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 1, 2009, 11:14 AM

Several people in this thread have said "Apple should fix this." And I agree that the store in question should fix the issue. It is clear and apparent that it was a case of the employee misrepresenting the rebate, and so the store should at least, as tooki says, refund the value of the rebate. However, saying that "Apple" as in the enormous company headquartered in California is ultimately responsible is like saying that President Hoover was personally responsible for the Great Depression. In other words, it's overstating something. Sure, "Apple" as in the retail store in question should fix the issue. But Steve Jobs and his folks did not conspire to mess with one guy at one store. At most Apple's sales associate training program needs to be evaluated because it's let someone slip through a fairly large crack. Yes, a part of Apple, Inc. needs to fix this issue. NO, Apple, Inc. did NOT "pull one over on" ShALLaX.

ShALLaX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2009, 11:24 AM

I'm not claiming there's a huge conspiracy and they intentionally go out to do this. I'm merely saying it happened and they haven't made it easy to resolve.

As for the fanboy comment, I probably won't stop buying Apple products. I'm also not pathetic enough to "love" Apple. They're a company that supplies products that I want, nothing more. However, one hand washes the other, and if Apple doesn't help me, I will no longer help Apple out in ways other than buying products - (Yes, I'm a software developer and a bit of a hacker, search for my name: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1318).

It's amusing to see responses in this thread putting words in my mouth. The Apple community is far too defensive, instead of admitting there are problems, the blame is passed onto the person daring enough to complain. Maybe it /is/ time I went back to Linux, a community built upon the idea of making things better!

@Spheric Harlot
I can't take any comment from you seriously anymore. "You mean someone can STILL go to jail 3 months after committing a rape offence!? This country...!"
( Last edited by ShALLaX; Feb 1, 2009 at 11:35 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2009, 11:34 AM

@Spheric Harlot
I can't take any comment from you seriously anymore. "You mean someone can STILL go to jail 3 months after committing a rape offence!? This country...!"
"It's the law.™"

ShALLaX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2009, 11:45 AM

"It's the law.™"

:-)

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 1, 2009, 11:49 AM

I'm not claiming there's a huge conspiracy and they intentionally go out to do this. I'm merely saying it happened and they haven't made it easy to resolve.
You just said someone needed to fix this. Others have at least implied that Mr. Jobs needs to see to it personally.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2009, 11:54 AM

I do find it funny how the Apple community is the only community I've seen that will try to stick up for Apple even in a case like this. I think this whole situation is unforgivable.
This is one of my annoyances as well with the Apple community. In general (though certainly not everyone), the community will seek to blame the customer/user when there appears to be a flaw with Apple.

In this case, I don't think the flaw is with Apple specifically but rather with common retail practices. I imagine that the Apple Store sales people have quotas they need to meet. I suspect some of the sales people you encountered might have been trying to meet their quotas by suggesting that you qualified for a rebate.

Having worked in a computer store that sold Apple products, I know how hard Apple can pressure sales people. We weren't even Apple employees and yet the Apple rep to our store was very strongly pressuring use to push AppleCare, even though our store management was generally luke-warm on the idea of extended warranties. I can only imagine what it's like for Apple-employed retail people.

ShALLaX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2009, 11:54 AM

You just said someone needed to fix this. Others have at least implied that Mr. Jobs needs to see to it personally.
Ahh, that's fine... so long as you're not implying that's my belief.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2009, 11:58 AM

Nobody thinks that!
Although he clarified the statement, ghporter's initial reaction comes across a little accusatory. I can see where the OP might have thought he was being accused of being "shady".

So ShALLaX, I'm sorry you had a lot of hassles, but you were apparently trying to take advantage of a promotion that wasn't meant for you.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2009, 12:00 PM

Yeah, well, this is like buying a lottery ticket...

-t

acorder
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2009, 12:30 PM

I think you're overlooking the fact that most responders have stood on the middle ground in their responses. A couple of people have suggested you were at fault; a couple more have said Apple's bungled this one. But it seems that, for the most part, people are saying, "You know, that sucks. Seems like something's amiss somewhere, and here's an idea about how to possibly deal with the situation and its collateral hassle."

At least, so it seems to me. Please don't be so defensive--it's much more off-putting than the "Apple is infallible" stuff you're so opposed to.

This is not a personal attack. Just a suggestion that you try to take the good out of this thread rather than focusing your subsequent replies on the negative. There are lots of helpful people around here! I hope you'll continue to be part of the community and contribute positively--we need folks of all types, fanboys and indifferent users and even some haters, to keep things more or less balanced around here; so often we learn from those with whom our ideas don't necessarily align.

I also hope that this situation gets resolved in your favor--it sounds to me like you did nothing wrong and had no intent of defrauding anyone. I understand the kind of pressure the employee who made the sale might have been under, and sometimes people are misinformed or misunderstand the promotions (both sales folks and customers), and I'm sorry that the manager hasn't stepped up to get you the refund. He/she ought to do so not only because of the spirit of the company and its promotion, but to show that he has his employees' collective backs. It's an opportunity from a retail standpoint to teach that sales person about how to resolve things to create a positive experience; turning a negative into a positive (or, at the very least, a neutral).

Hope my opinion doesn't bother anyone. Just trying to be helpful.

ShALLaX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2009, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by acorder View Post
I think you're overlooking the fact that most responders have stood on the middle ground in their responses. A couple of people have suggested you were at fault; a couple more have said Apple's bungled this one. But it seems that, for the most part, people are saying, "You know, that sucks. Seems like something's amiss somewhere, and here's an idea about how to possibly deal with the situation and its collateral hassle."

At least, so it seems to me. Please don't be so defensive--it's much more off-putting than the "Apple is infallible" stuff you're so opposed to.

This is not a personal attack. Just a suggestion that you try to take the good out of this thread rather than focusing your subsequent replies on the negative. There are lots of helpful people around here! I hope you'll continue to be part of the community and contribute positively--we need folks of all types, fanboys and indifferent users and even some haters, to keep things more or less balanced around here; so often we learn from those with whom our ideas don't necessarily align.

I also hope that this situation gets resolved in your favor--it sounds to me like you did nothing wrong and had no intent of defrauding anyone. I understand the kind of pressure the employee who made the sale might have been under, and sometimes people are misinformed or misunderstand the promotions (both sales folks and customers), and I'm sorry that the manager hasn't stepped up to get you the refund. He/she ought to do so not only because of the spirit of the company and its promotion, but to show that he has his employees' collective backs. It's an opportunity from a retail standpoint to teach that sales person about how to resolve things to create a positive experience; turning a negative into a positive (or, at the very least, a neutral).

Hope my opinion doesn't bother anyone. Just trying to be helpful.
One of the better responses so far. Though I contest that I'm being defensive (or does saying this just prove your point? ). My problem is, that I've already invested too much time and money in trying to resolve this (phone calls, lunch breaks, parking, fuel). However, the moral part of me doesn't want to let go.

toadtoad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2009, 12:39 PM

However, saying that "Apple" as in the enormous company headquartered in California is ultimately responsible is like saying that President Hoover was personally responsible for the Great Depression.
hahahaha you're out of your mind

acorder
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2009, 01:03 PM

One of the better responses so far. Though I contest that I'm being defensive (or does saying this just prove your point? ). My problem is, that I've already invested too much time and money in trying to resolve this (phone calls, lunch breaks, parking, fuel). However, the moral part of me doesn't want to let go.
Perhaps defensive wasn't quite the right word; what I meant was that it seemed you were more active in replying to the posts that you felt were aggressive toward you rather than the posts which were genuinely trying to help. Anyway, that's not really significant, and I don't want it to seem like I have some kind of personal issue with you.

I agree that pursuing this kind of thing can be a huge hassle and expenditure (financially and time-wise), but I support you in not letting up. If you sincerely feel that you were mislead, then your concern ought to be resolved by Apple (whatever division or arm or whatever) to a point where you're satisfied that your issue was handled properly. Whether that means getting the rebate or just getting an apology for the system being so difficult to navigate, that's up to you. (I say go for the refund, though I'm beginning to wonder if they'll actually cave to that.)

Thanks for taking my post in the right light, and good luck to you.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 1, 2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by toadtoad View Post
hahahaha you're out of your mind
Interesting first post there. Care to enlighten us about why you feel that I've slipped a few cogs?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 1, 2009, 01:29 PM

So ShALLaX, I'm sorry you had a lot of hassles, but you were apparently trying to take advantage of a promotion that wasn't meant for you. When I bought my aluminum iMac in August 2007, I took advantage of the iPod offer for a gift, and I know how wonderful that could be. But I was and still am (until this summer) a student...
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Although he clarified the statement, ghporter's initial reaction comes across a little accusatory. I can see where the OP might have thought he was being accused of being "shady".
I DID work at making even my first post softer than it seems it came across. Perhaps if I'd added more about how the promotions department reacted, I'd have provided the proper context for my statement. In any case, I also apologized for not coming across the way I'd intended. And at that point it wasn't clear to me that the guy at the Apple store insisted that ShALLaX could use the rebate whether or not he was a student.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2009, 02:41 PM

To be fair, the thread title itself already implies that this is some sort of illegal company policy, which I think is pretty off the wall.

magicbumone
Feb 1, 2009, 02:54 PM

That is really strange. During the Back to school promotion in the USA Apple allowed people to do the Back to School promotion even if they were not a student/staff/faculty. They did not advertise it but they did allow anyone a chance at the promotion. I am not sure if they change the policy for the UK Back to school Promotion but if they told you could do this in the store I can only assume they told the same to the UK Apple employees.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2009, 03:03 PM

I DID work at making even my first post softer than it seems it came across. Perhaps if I'd added more about how the promotions department reacted, I'd have provided the proper context for my statement. In any case, I also apologized for not coming across the way I'd intended. And at that point it wasn't clear to me that the guy at the Apple store insisted that ShALLaX could use the rebate whether or not he was a student.
Agreed. I'm just pointing out where ShALLaX could have felt as though he was being accused of being shady.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2009, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by magicbumone View Post
That is really strange. During the Back to school promotion in the USA Apple allowed people to do the Back to School promotion even if they were not a student/staff/faculty. They did not advertise it but they did allow anyone a chance at the promotion. I am not sure if they change the policy for the UK Back to school Promotion but if they told you could do this in the store I can only assume they told the same to the UK Apple employees.
Seeing as he was in an "Apple Store" in a town called Cambridge, it follows he's in Massachusetts (there is no Apple Store in Cambridge, UK, AFAI could find out)?

ShALLaX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2009, 03:57 PM

There is an Apple store in Cambridge, UK. It's been there for about 6+ months in the Grand Arcade shopping centre. It's even listed on Apple's website (http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/grandarcade/).

I love informed comments!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2009, 03:59 PM

Blame my Google-fu.

I actually did try to research that.

-c.

P.S.: And I love informed customers!

ShALLaX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2009, 04:12 PM

And what is the reason a customer might not be informed? Could it be misinformed staff or intentionally deceptive staff?

Seriously, I have a shovel you can borrow.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2009, 04:23 PM

And what is the reason a customer might not be informed? Could it be misinformed staff or intentionally deceptive staff?
No, I'm sure it's Apple's Shady Business Scheme.

Have a good evening.

ShALLaX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2009, 04:27 PM

You're a great spokesman for the community. A true credit.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 1, 2009, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by magicbumone View Post
That is really strange. During the Back to school promotion in the USA Apple allowed people to do the Back to School promotion even if they were not a student/staff/faculty. They did not advertise it but they did allow anyone a chance at the promotion.
If any store was doing that, it was definitely contrary to corporate policy. At both Fruity Computer Stores I worked at, during all the back to school promotions, it was crystal clear to employees (and consequently, to our customers) that you absolutely had to be an "individual education" buyer to be eligible for the back to school promotions. This also meant you had to be getting the discount on the Mac, as the promotion rebate will get denied otherwise. And to be eligible for the edu discount, you had to show proof of enrollment or affiliation (e.g. student/teacher ID card, pay stub, class schedule, letter of acceptance, or online login to the school).

Any store not following those rules was setting its customers up for trouble.

And given that Fruity Computer retail employees do not work on commission and do not have incentives to push more add-ons like iPods (AppleCare and other services, on the other hand, were closely tracked), it's very unlikely that they had any reason to try to get ineligible people to try and game the system. If anything, it was customers who wanted us to cheat and give them discounts/promotions they were not eligible for. That happened all the time.

dru
Senior User
Feb 1, 2009, 10:19 PM

I smell a troll.

They offered to "make it right" via a refund. You declined it because you didn't want to be embarrassed for being a cheap bastard with your mom's "expensive" X-Mas present. That's not Apple's problem.

You filled out the rebate. Never mind what you think you heard, if it's not in writing via that form or any rebate form and controlling conditions, you should have questioned it immediately. Instead, you applied and hoped to "get away with it" and have the "nice gift" cred with mom.

You did not specifically address the alleged employee who told you this incorrect information--did you alert the store? If this person was routinely giving out false information to customers, the store needed to know in a timely manner. It would know of other complaints about this employee.

Rebates and so forth are always handled by separate entities.

There's no shady Apple conspiracy / scam / scheme here.

I looked into the rebate before I made my purchase and it was clear I was not eligible (not in school), I did not buy an iPod and try to participate in the rebate. How you filled out the form and didn't notice this for yourself is beyond me.

They tried to "make it right" despite your lack of evidence and since you didn't want to look bad to mom by taking back her gift, suck it up. The problem was you, and your handling the situation and not Apple's.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

makemineamac
Feb 1, 2009, 11:57 PM

I don't believe all the intricacies of this story either.

It's was called the Back to School promo for God's sake. I just think you thought you could get around it _(many, many others have tried you know), and you got checked at the door. Too bad....

It is unfortunate, but they did offer a refund, you could have bought another iPod Touch for your mother and returned the originals. Did you ever talk to the Store Manager?

Forum Links
Forum Rules