Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Creating partitions

Creating partitions
digiology
Sep 1, 2002, 06:57 PM

I have OS 8.5 installed on my mac performa, and I want to install OS 7.5.3 on it in a different partition with the same hard drive. How do I do this? Do i need any special software?
Stuff is great, never take it for granted.

MacMonster
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2002, 01:40 AM

You need a program called "Drive Setup" to partition your hard disk drive. Drive Setup should come with the system CD. Please note that partitioning will cause all the data in the disk to be lost !!!

In Drive Setup, first select the drive you want, then click the "Initialize" button. A dialog show up, then click the "Custom Setup" button to setup the partitions in your disk.

digiology  (op)
Sep 6, 2002, 02:25 PM

I made two partitions one Mac OS extended for OS8.5, and one Mac OS standard partition for OS 7.5.3. I have OS 8.5 installed but when I insert the performa CD (with OS7.5.3 on it) and try to "restore system software) it says it cant intall Apple extras, then it says it cant install Apple vide player, and syays the same message for all the software. Is it trying to intall it on the partition(it doesnt let you choose in the intaller) it also mentions it cant intall it because the CD may be damaged, it seem perfect though.

Any help?

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2002, 03:29 AM

Are you trying to install from the cd, ie booting off of the cd?

digiology  (op)
Sep 19, 2002, 01:24 PM

Yeah I am booting off the cd. I think I know what I did wrong, I think I have to install OS7.5.3 first and then OS8.5 after.

Forum Links
Forum Rules