Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Losing my memory (and my mind!)

Losing my memory (and my mind!)
muglet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2002, 02:41 PM

I am on Mac OS 9.0.4. and in the last few weeks I keep getting error messages saying I am running out of memory. It frequently happens when I am on internet explorer (it was critically low the other day!) and can never load shockwave and often can't open new windows.

I have deleted all the cookies and had a look at the system folder to see if there is anything obvious on there that is just clogging up the system. I have increased the memory for internet explorer too. All to no avail.

Any ideas? Can anyone help! Ive even tried reinstalling the whole system but that didn't help.

Muglet

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2002, 10:18 PM

How much RAM do you have installed? If it's not a matter of not having enough physical RAM, and you're confident you've allocated a sufficient amount of memory to IE, then you may wish to try the following:

Reinstall IE
Reinstall OS

I recall running into out of memory errors recently with IE, but it has since cleared up. Are you running the latest version? Finally, is there any other software on your system not functioning properly?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2002, 10:52 PM

it's IE. i often found that, after running IE, i'd go to open another program & not have enough ram...
when i checked "about this mac", there'd be a huge chunk of ram missing.
would restart (always fixed the problem).

btw, no longer running IE. switched to mozilla 1.2a...love it!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

muglet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2002, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
btw, no longer running IE. switched to mozilla 1.2a...love it! [/B]
Hi fisherKing,

Thanks for that. Where do I get mozilla? Never heard of it! Can I still use stuff like msn messenger with it? (not that that will be a great loss if I have to bin it)

Muglet

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2002, 08:37 AM

mozilla 1.2a is the "open-source" version of netscape 7...
for me, runs fast, renders well. has tabs... you can have several pages open at once, switch between them with the tabs (my fave feature).
you can even bookmark a set of tabs!

find it here

(search for "mozilla")

try it a bit BEFORE you delete IE (in case u dont like it or something...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2002, 11:14 PM

I'm actually pretty darn impressed with Netscape 7 myself... High memory usage on classic, but that's something I can accept. Nevertheless, that's not the subject of the thread. IE shouldn't be leaking memory, and I don't think that's what the original poster was referring to, either. In any case, there are a lot of wonderful browser choices out there.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2002, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
I'm actually pretty darn impressed with Netscape 7 myself... High memory usage on classic, but that's something I can accept. Nevertheless, that's not the subject of the thread. IE shouldn't be leaking memory, and I don't think that's what the original poster was referring to, either. In any case, there are a lot of wonderful browser choices out there.

actually, seems like IE IS the cause of memory loss, was for me.

btw, netscape 7 is good for you? crashed my mac, worst ever. (but mozilla has been running beautifully)

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2002, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
it's IE. i often found that, after running IE, i'd go to open another program & not have enough ram...
when i checked "about this mac", there'd be a huge chunk of ram missing.
would restart (always fixed the problem).

OS 9 doesn't handle RAM as well as X. Memory gets fragmented similar to how your hard disk gets fragmented. Except apps need a continuous block of RAM (I think) whereas a hard drive can put a large file into numerous smaller areas.

Brad

muglet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2002, 01:55 PM

Finally managed to get back on here to say thanks to you all for the help and advice.

I've been having great trouble getting back on here as my computer has been going sssooooooooo slooooooowww. But! I haven't had a loss of memory message for a few days now (but it did go a bit faster when I was getting them so I think I may have preferred it!)

Just going to try mozilla and hopefully my life on the net will improve.

Cheers
Muglet

Forum Links
Forum Rules