Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > HD probs on 7600; Norton can't fix...

HD probs on 7600; Norton can't fix...
Shanachie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2002, 12:50 PM

I wrote a few weeks ago about trouble with my apps not working and hard disk space seemingly disappearing on my Powermac 7600, running OS 9.0. I got Norton Disk Dr. and it fixed a number of problems but I'm getting messages about major errors concerning extent B-trees and crosslinked files and the master directory block. After running Disk Dr. the OS wouldn't start up so I did a clean install, so the machine now works, but I'm still getting the same messages when I run DD.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is the HD damaged or do I need to do a do a reformatting or reinitializing or something else? Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

Jodar
Sep 28, 2002, 06:47 PM

I get the cross link files error from Norton as well but not on Tech Tool Pro. Norton will fix it but then after some period of time, it crops up again involving another set of files. The Symantec site suggests a formatting problem. I'd have to back up the drive and reinstall everything again and I'm too lazy, at this point, to do it. You should try using TTPro and/or DiskWarrior after Norton. It should provide a better, if temporary fix, until you decide to reformat the drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules