Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Macs in the Media > Ameritech

Ameritech
fletch521
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2000, 02:43 PM

I recived an advertisement for Ameritech.net's Speed Path DSL service that had two pictures on the cover of a 500 MHz. iMac DV SE. The best part is that Ameritech will not support Mac with its DSL service.

Fletch
MacBook Air, 2.13GHz, 128GB solid-state drive
24-inch Apple LED Cinema Display
iPhone 4

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2000, 09:46 PM

That will change. Ameritech will offer Mac users access to its DSL service soon.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2000, 11:58 PM

Sure. They'll charge $100 a month and it'll take 4 weeks to install. Then you'll get 10 telemarketing calls a week asking if you want DSL service. When you call to get off the phone spam list they'll require your mother's maiden name and your SSN.

Other than that Ameritech is great!

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2000, 02:44 AM

Ameritech may be dragging its feet on DSL for Mac users, but it isn't that bad. It's $40 a month. And they already have your personal information, so any direct marketing you get from them, you would have gotten anyway.

Misha
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2000, 12:51 PM

Having just moved to the area I must say that Bell Atlantic (Verizon)--which already sucks quite a bit--sucks less than Ameritech.

Forget DSL, Ameritech charged my buddy $55 to change his phone # to another location (25' away). Bell Atlantic does this for free.

To get another line installed, it will cost me $150. I had the same work done by Bell Atlantic last year for less than $50.

Monopolies are fun.

johnnydigital
Oct 4, 2000, 06:40 PM

I work in Datacomm and deal with many different telcos. Ameritech is the second worst. Only US West (now owned by Qwest) is worst. Hopefully Qwest will turn them around, then Ameritech will be #1 for shitty telcos.

Kozmik
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2000, 10:10 PM

Ameritech is the worst company in existance.
<A HREF="http://www.macnet2.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi" TARGET=_blank>
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2000, 07:01 PM

I had a friend of mine move to St Louis. The local phone wanted tons of cash for all the features she wanted, caller id, voice mail.... Solution? Cell phone. Cost less and you take it with you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules