Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Getting paranoid here!!!

Getting paranoid here!!!
HiDDeN
Jan 10, 2003, 04:59 PM

Has anyone ever taken some time to watch Netbarrier or some other firewall that has monotoring capabilities? I did these last few days. I came to conclusion that there is a lot of activity going on even when there are absolutely no internet apps running. Might this be SPYWARE sending out packages of information on my surfing habbits, system passwords, creditcard numbers and installed software? Anyway it gives me the creeps, just thinking that some big corp is watching my a$$ on every thing I do on my computer. It's not that I'm doing anything wrong but I don't need or want someone looking over my shoulder. Is there anyway to know where these packages are sent to or software that eliminates spyware?
Nick

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2003, 05:48 PM

what programs are you running? Many applications attempt to check the internet for updates and the like. MS office checks the local network for other instances of the same license, h*ll, even the system uses software update from time to time...
cpac

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 05:54 PM

Most of this will be legit traffic. Time Server, software update etc.

There are no real spyware apps for the mac as far as I know but without looking at the port numbers and your logs I could not tell..

(I suppose real player can be a bit chatty at times in the old days.... but if it's not running it cannot do anything)

Cheers Edwin

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2003, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by edddeduck:
Most of this will be legit traffic. Time Server, software update etc.

There are no real spyware apps for the mac as far as I know but without looking at the port numbers and your logs I could not tell..

(I suppose real player can be a bit chatty at times in the old days.... but if it's not running it cannot do anything)

Cheers Edwin
That sig image is fucking annoying!

Forum Links
Forum Rules