Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther drag 'n' drop: WOW!

Panther drag 'n' drop: WOW!
tabarnak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 01:02 PM

Try this: create a new textedit document, select some text in safari. start draging it and press F9 to expose all windows. go to the textedit window, when it appears drop the text in the document! that's freaking awsome! you can even do this with a picture from safari to a photoshop document!

but it doesn't stop to expos�, you can also do this with the application switcher. it's a good way to drag something into an hidden app!

anyone found some other undocumented features?

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2003, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by tabarnak:
Try this: create a new textedit document, select some text in safari. start draging it and press F9 to expose all windows. go to the textedit window, when it appears drop the text in the document!
but it doesn't stop to expos�, you can also do this with the application switcher. it's a good way to drag something into an hidden app!
That's a great tip! Very cool. But you have to release f9 (or whatever key is set to show all windows) once you are over the application you want to move into.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 02:37 PM

Great! And I tought I was already in love with Expose...

Deestar
Oct 25, 2003, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by riverfreak:
That's a great tip! Very cool. But you have to release f9 (or whatever key is set to show all windows) once you are over the application you want to move into.
If you hold for a second or two over the window you want to drop the object into, it will bring that window to the front and active ala spring loaded style, then you can drop the object into the place you want.
Where there's a will
there's a way..

tabarnak  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 03:06 PM

or also ala spring loaded style, you can press the space bar!

i've just set my right upper corner to show all windows. at this place, it will be easy to bring stock photo from safari to photoshop!

another thing that impress me. i have a 3 boutons mouse. while i drag something i can still use the middle button (wich is also set on show all windows). you can use 2 buttons at the same time doing totally different thing. not bad for a company that doesn't even have 2 buttons mouse!

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 04:04 PM

another thing that impress me. i have a 3 boutons mouse. while i drag something i can still use the middle button (wich is also set on show all windows). you can use 2 buttons at the same time doing totally different thing. not bad for a company that doesn't even have 2 buttons mouse!
Oh, it's not just mouse buttons... try this; close that TextEdit window (but don't quit TextEdit). Now drag text from another app, use Command-tab to switch to TextEdit, then hit Command-N to make a new window, and then drop the text into it! Sometimes I wonder if the old Mac OS 9 team gets to work on just one feature per release... because there's always one feature that has all these wonderfully cool, intuitive behaviors in it and generally makes the rest of the OS look lazy.

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 08:08 PM

Try this: create a new textedit document, select some text in safari. start draging it and press F9 to expose all windows.
Come on folks. Some of you may think I'm being anal, but not everyone is going to have F9 set to do anything Expos�-related. You could be confusing some people when it doesn't do anything.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2003, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by kennethmac2000:
Come on folks. Some of you may think I'm being anal, but not everyone is going to have F9 set to do anything Expos�-related. You could be confusing some people when it doesn't do anything.
It's the default install behaviour.

Surely anyone who has already changed their default hot-keys will realise they no longer work as described..?

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by Phoenix1701:
...use Command-tab to switch to TextEdit...
You don't even have to do that...

Just bring the switcher window up and drag your text onto the TextEdit window. It then automatically switches for you

tabarnak  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by kennethmac2000:
i'm pretty sure most people still has it set at F9 because panther is only a few hours old now. so you are right, i may think that!

Forum Links
Forum Rules