Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Hand brake issue

Hand brake issue
Linda101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2011, 10:06 PM

Recently ran in to a few problems with handbrake. Once i converted a DVD to MKV i am sometimes unable to re-convert the MKV file - screen aspect all screws up and it flags up an error.settings i use are: MKV, AAC, CF:17, and loose anamorphic i think everthing else is default.

Doesnt happen with every video i convert.The MKV file plays back just fine in VLC so no issue as far as i can tell with the encoding process.

anyone got any ideas ?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2011, 03:22 PM

Post your activity log from Handbrake - they're all stored on disk http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/ActivityLog

LaurenceB
Banned
Nov 10, 2011, 10:48 PM

When converting to mp4 are you using high profile or normal? And I don’t understand why you need convert DVD to MKV firstly, then convert the MKV to other format, what video format do u want to finally get? You’d probably be best just convert the dvd directly rather than compressing a video files that’s already been compressed I’d have thought. The most common DVD tools I choose: MacTheRipper+Handbrake+MacX DVD ripper free edition, convert DVD to any video, no problem.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by LaurenceB View Post
You’d probably be best just convert the dvd directly rather than compressing a video files that’s already been compressed I’d have thought.
I agree that cutting out the middleman is worth a try, and I have often had Handbrake work better on the DVD directly than using makemkv in between (like if the disc is scratched). But makemkv is a lossless conversion from DVD, it just copies the MPEG-2 data streams into a new file, without compressing them. So that's not the reason to cut out the middleman.

Linda101  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2011, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
I agree that cutting out the middleman is worth a try, and I have often had Handbrake work better on the DVD directly than using makemkv in between (like if the disc is scratched). But makemkv is a lossless conversion from DVD, it just copies the MPEG-2 data streams into a new file, without compressing them. So that's not the reason to cut out the middleman.
Yep, although make mkv is lossless for video quality, the .mkv files always will be generated a huge file, i suppose h.264/mp4 is a better neutral between vieo size and quality.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2011, 03:38 PM

It took me a while, but I thought of a (legit) reason for using makemkv over handbrake directly on the disc. If you're ripping a whole pile, makemkv is a lot faster (like 10x faster on some machines) for the manual labor step (inserting DVDs). It will end up taking just as long to compress the ripped MPEG-2 files in the end, but that can be batched overnight, while the physical part needs to be babysat by a human.

Linda101  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2012, 04:38 AM

Thank u so much~guys Keep answers coming~

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2012, 01:32 PM

You still haven't posted your encoding log, so we have no idea what your issue is.

Linda101  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2012, 10:38 PM

Thanks, guys.

My problem solved simply by using HB 0.9.6 ....hahaha

Linda101  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2012, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by LaurenceB View Post
When converting to mp4 are you using high profile or normal? And I don’t understand why you need convert DVD to MKV firstly, then convert the MKV to other format, what video format do u want to finally get? You’d probably be best just convert the dvd directly rather than compressing a video files that’s already been compressed I’d have thought. The most common DVD tools I choose: MacTheRipper+Handbrake+MacX DVD ripper free edition, convert DVD to any video, no problem.
HB crashed when I am trying to convert a 1080P MKV file to MP4. So im thinking to try ur way and maybe u could give me more details, thx!

Forum Links
Forum Rules