Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Watching DVD movie on the new iPad issue

Watching DVD movie on the new iPad issue
Linda101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2012, 04:13 AM

The biggest reason for me to buy the new iPad is its retina display, I enjoy watching videos and movies a lot, but I don’t think I can watch all of them directly because of format problem and I don’t want to pay to watch movies and TV shows I already have on DVD. And I doubt is there any software or solution could help me out? Thanks in advance.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2012, 05:18 AM

As of last November, you were using Handbrake to convert DVDs.

Has that stopped working for you, or is someone paying you to solicit advice for commercial packages that will to a crappier job for money?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2012, 05:04 PM

There's no reason to buy a retina iPad to watch 720x480 DVDs.

But Handbrake still works to convert your DVDs to an iPad compatible format.

soeasedev
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2012, 09:56 PM

Yeah, Handbrake works. I used to ripper my old school DVD collection by Handbrake, but found it only support mkv. and mp4 output.(not sure it's version issue or not)
I want more universal compatible formats such as mov. Then noticed a recommendation app called exactly "DVD Converter" on a daily app deal site, and I loved the app immediately after a several rounds. It works really smooth and stable. It can be found on Mac App Store.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2012, 01:17 AM

Obvious spam, since mp4 is a subset of mov.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2012, 03:58 AM

Now that's just dumb.

LaurenceB
Banned
Apr 1, 2012, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by soeasedev View Post
Yeah, Handbrake works. I used to ripper my old school DVD collection by Handbrake, but found it only support mkv. and mp4 output.(not sure it's version issue or not)
I want more universal compatible formats such as mov. Then noticed a recommendation app called exactly "DVD Converter" on a daily app deal site, and I loved the app immediately after a several rounds. It works really smooth and stable. It can be found on Mac App Store.
Yes! Handbrake definitely works! If it doesnt, check ur version, make sure it is the newest. Actually, i dont know it also supports the output of iPad3 for sure, cuz Im still using iPad2. But i believe it does for they should have the same video formats requirment. If it still doesn't help u, dude, i think you could try something new, like DVDfab DVD Copy, MacX DVD Ripper Pro, Magic DVD Ripper, they all cool

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2012, 06:51 AM

You say you want it to work on the iPad. Unless you're using third-party players on iPad, that means it's .mp4.

I can only assume that you are the same person as this one here:
Touch Arcade - Search Results
which means you're a developer of iOS apps.

Are you trying to make us believe that you don't know the difference between .mov and .mkv as a container, and .mp4 as a compression format, or that you are unable to research playable formats given your developer connections?

Really?

Tall story.
Are Softease (the developer associated with this username) and SeaSky (maker of DVD Converter, and a developer known for spamming various forums with their crapware) the same people?

Inquiring minds want to know.

andi*pandi
Apr 1, 2012, 10:07 AM

I could ban all these people, but I shall continue to let Spheric rip them new ones.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Are you trying to make us believe that you don't know the difference between .mov and .mkv as a container, and .mp4 as a compression format, or that you are unable to research playable formats given your developer connections?
mp4 is also a container which can contain a variety of "compression formats".

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2012, 12:01 PM

Sorry, yes, you're correct.

In contrast to the original poster, I am not a developer.

soeasedev
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2012, 10:45 PM

Actually, I don't hang on this forum too much. A few days ago, happened to notice the thread and then shared what I use. So, was I spammer?
Someone talked about iOS apps shouldn't mention any mac apps? If so, OK.

Linda101  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2012, 04:41 AM

Thank u guys so much, plz keep answers coming

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2012, 05:13 AM

I have personally evaluated DVD Converter, DVDfab DVD Copy, MacX DVD Ripper Pro, and Magic DVD Ripper and can say that none of them are worth paying for when you consider that handbrake is completely free and works very very well indeed.

HandBrake
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2012, 05:14 AM

Actually, I don't hang on this forum too much. A few days ago, happened to notice the thread and then shared what I use. So, was I spammer?
Why the hell would anyone use all of those programs?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2012, 03:52 AM

(this was a reply to a spam post since deleted)
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Apr 23, 2012 at 02:54 AM. )

Linda101  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2012, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Obvious spam, since mp4 is a subset of mov.
im not a good Handbrake user, actually, i dont know much about the encoding, ripping, output video format differences.

@mduell Not everyone you knows all, just stop being ironic, if u dont wanna help, thats totally fine. No one is begging u

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2012, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Linda101 View Post
im not a good Handbrake user, actually, i dont know much about the encoding, ripping, output video format differences.

@mduell Not everyone you knows all, just stop being ironic, if u dont wanna help, thats totally fine. No one is begging u
I was replying to soeasedev's spam-like comment; no one was begging you to reply.

Linda101  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2012, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I was replying to soeasedev's spam-like comment; no one was begging you to reply.
not to REPLY, i mean UR HELP.

Forum Links
Forum Rules