Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Printer stopped working after upgrade

Printer stopped working after upgrade
Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2010, 11:40 AM

I finally got around to upgrading to Snow Leopard. Did a clean install and all my software etc worked like a charm right from the start... except one, my printer. I thought, no problem. Go onto the Epson site, get the new drivers and I'm good to go. Nada. I downloaded and installed the driver that said for 10.6.X and nothing. Printer didn't work. They have a "combo" pkg that says for 10.5.x and 10.6.x. Again, nothing.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get this printer working again? I use this for my business and not having it working is critical. I have 10.6.5 installed on a Intel Mac Pro if that makes any difference.

Epson link: Epson Stylus Photo R1800, Drivers & Downloads - Technical Support - Epson America, Inc.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Lee
2 X 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 4.5GB RAM, 30" Cinema Display

Lee33  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2010, 10:00 AM

All the smart folks on this forum, doesn't anyone know how to solve this?

F1Mikal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2010, 11:26 AM

Lee,

I have serious problems with the same printer when I upgraded to Snow Leopard; the ink doesn't print in full saturation everything is 'muted', and when I print in larger format paper, it shrinks it down to fit on 8 1/x 11.

Printing from Word, pages, exel, quark, illustrator, EVERY program...
Nothing works.

But the printer works fine if a friend plugs in their MBP which came preloaded with Snow Leopard.
hmmmmm

Can someone help US... P L E A S E !!!

Thorzdad
Nov 19, 2010, 12:36 PM

It could be that you have older Epson files leftover from before you upgraded to SnowLeopard. It may be that you need to completely uninstall all Epson files, and then install only the latest stuff (I've seen this suggested for people having similar issues with HP printers, sooo...) Do you know if there is an uninstaller provided in any of those Epson downloads Lee33 links to?

Lee33  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2010, 03:10 PM

Hey F1,

We could be out of luck. I was on Amazon looking for another printer this morning (incase all efforts failed at my R1800) and found another guy who posted a review of a printer I was looking at. He said he also had upgraded to 10.6 and his Epson CX 8400 stopped working and he could not solve the problem with drivers or anything. He finally just gave up and got a new printer.

Back to Amazon for me.
( Last edited by Lee33; Nov 19, 2010 at 05:08 PM. )

SVass
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lee33 View Post
All the smart folks on this forum, doesn't anyone know how to solve this?
Gutenprint for Mac OS X
I never got the standard drivers to work with my old Epson. Try Gutenprint
sam

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2010, 07:28 PM

According to Apple, that printer should be supported by gutenprint, which is now updated via software update.

I would ctrl-click on the printer and choose "reset printing system". This will delete ALL your printers, so make sure you want to do this.. Then add the printer back in, and run software update to see if there are any epson or gutenprint updates.

Good luck.

harddrivedude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2010, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
According to Apple, that printer should be supported by gutenprint, which is now updated via software update.

I would ctrl-click on the printer and choose "reset printing system". This will delete ALL your printers, so make sure you want to do this.. Then add the printer back in, and run software update to see if there are any epson or gutenprint updates.

Good luck.
I had the same problem. Crab is right when I reset printing system it deleted my printers. Reinstalling it did the trick. Make sure to update drivers after on the website.
"The best way out is always through." -Robert Frost
My squidoo Lens: External Hard Drives Review

Forum Links
Forum Rules