Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Transferring everything from old Mac to New Mac

Transferring everything from old Mac to New Mac
Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2015, 03:00 PM

I have an 8 year old Mac Pro. It's time to get a new computer. Going with the iMac 27". My problem is this, I don't want to use the Migrating Ass't and transfer everything over as I really NEED to do a clean install. Old computer is just too full of old apps and other junk. Does anyone know if I can use DropBox or Google Drive to move stuff one at a time to the cloud and then take it out of either of those apps and move it to my new computer? If I can't do it that way, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lee
2 X 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 4.5GB RAM, 30" Cinema Display

reader50
Administrator
Oct 10, 2015, 04:29 PM

You could do a clean install of the OS - a new iMac should arrive in this state anyway. Upon bootup, Migration Assistant will launch. Then only import your user folder. Reinstall apps as you need them.

You'd still have any junk in your user folder, but everything else would be clean. If you want/need to clean up your user folder too, things will get a lot more involved.

Lee33  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2015, 06:12 PM

Reader, I was told that apps to not just move over to a new computer. If you wanted any of your old apps you'd have to install new. If they were paid apps there would be a record of that purchase at the apps website. Is this not true. I'd LOVE to move my photoshop over but Adobe, as you know, is no longer selling PS. You want to use it now you "rent it."
2 X 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 4.5GB RAM, 30" Cinema Display

Forum Links
Forum Rules