Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Waking Display from Deep Sleep

Waking Display from Deep Sleep
ACORN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2008, 04:45 PM

...i know this issue has been around for a while in the MAC community with no "real" reasons or solutions but, hopefully you guys/girls can help me out with my problem.

First off i have experienced this problem in both OSX.4.11 and OSX.5.1 so it is not just a Leopard problem. The issue only started after a processor upgrade...so i am sure that is part of the problem. The problem is more of an annoyance than a genuine problem, but a problem just the same.

Background info... My MAC is an original 2001 Quicksilver G4 867 GHz[which i have owned since new] and is truly a workhorse, never giving any real problems even while working long nights on projects.... i recently upgraded to a NewerTech Dual processor 1.73 GHz 7448 G4 and i have NO complaints other than the inability to sleep...or rather, wake from sleep I have searched countless forums, websites, googled this subject to death and can not find any concrete answers AND PLEASE dont just tell me avoid sleeping - the issue is upon waking from sleep, the cpu and fans come alive but the Display doesnt. I have reset PRAM/NVRAM, done a clean install of my OS on a zeroed HD, removed aftermarket PCI cards, switched out my video card to one that the MANUFACTURER [NT] suggested - all to no prevail. Anything i am missing. Any opinions or answers [other than avoiding sleep] is appreciated. THANK YOU- Aaron

ACORN  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2008, 06:54 AM

anybody have first hand experience with this issue.......

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2008, 08:45 AM

I'm using a dual 2GHz G5 and I too am having this issue. I've had it for years. In my case since I'm hesitant to spend money on a new sequencer right now (or add/partition harddrives) I'm still using 10.3.9. I've read enough posts such as yours to know that OS updates generally aren't resolving the issue. My problem actually worsened to the point where I'd be sitting here typing you and POOF, the monitor would go blank. Everything still running, but no monitor. I'd have to reboot and too often the machine would seemingly come up, no monitor. I'd have to boot up in OF, 'reset- nvram', 'reset-all' to get it to come back or often times I'd reset PMU and it'd come back. (the unplug and wait reset on my G5, not the 'push the button inside the case reset' mind you. I've never liked messing with that button on the processor itself. Horror stories of pressing too hard, too long, etc...) The below is a list of potential culprits I've compiled since battling this issue;
  • Could be the ATY, RV350 AGP card. This has supposedly given many mac owners a headache. I'd have to say that I've had no other problems with the card so I've not swapped it. I've heard of many others swapping it and no luck.
  • PRAM battery needs replaced. I've read too many who tried this and no luck.
  • Could be peripherals/drivers/plists/etc.... In the case of the drivers/plists, I'd have assumed that your fresh installs would've resolved them and seeing as how many others have tried fresh installs/upgrades and didn't have luck, I'm skeptical. Out of curiosity-do you use an HP printer?
  • Processor problem. In fact, at the time I was having the spontaneous black-outs I ran one hardware diagnostic that told me I had a bad CPU. I dumped a whole bunch of known wonkity HP drivers, then ran it again several times and never got the error message again nor have I had the spontaneous black-outs. However, I do still have the wake from sleep issue. In the case of 'wake from sleep', I really do believe it relates to bad hardware; likely the processor. It's of course hard to say for certain because all other things seem fine.
  • Some type of overheat or short. Some have suggested that something is either overheating or shorting out causing the monitor to black out in order to protect itself. I've re-seated the graphics card, all RAM, ports, plugs, connections... I don't think this is the problem. My black-outs are exclusively 'wake from sleep' black-outs. At least since dumping all the HP drivers, plists, etc...
  • I am running CHUD tools (a hack that has a feature to disable 'nap mode' for quieting processor chirp while recording among other utilities) which I often suspected, but am not willing to give up. At least not while using this noisy G5. Do you also have CHUD tools?

Sorry bub, that's all I got. Wanna know what I did eventually? Avoided sleep. Either I set the machine to avoid it or I personally avoid it. One or the other.
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules