Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "regular" coffee: what does that mean where you live?

"regular" coffee: what does that mean where you live?
hart
Senior User
Jan 21, 2007, 11:09 AM

I don't get this "regular" coffee thing. Apparently here in Brooklyn it means lots of sugar (like three heaping teaspoons) and some milk. People seem very confident when they order it so I guess it must be a mutual understanding around here but when did they get together to decide this?

Is it the same everywhere? I remember the hogie/sub thread and the soda/pop question so I'm just wondering.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 21, 2007, 11:16 AM

I don’t think there’s such a thing as ‘regular’ coffee over here. But I’d take it to mean straight-up black coffee, no milk, no sugar.

The only time I’d ever use it, though, would be to explain ‘regular’ coffee, as opposed to cappuccinos, frappuccinos, Turkish/Greek coffees, bicas, Nescafé, or God only knows what other kind of esoteric coffee.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 11:47 AM

I've only heard it used to mean it's not decaffeinated.

hart  (op)
Senior User
Jan 21, 2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
I've made that mistake before. but that's not what it means here. I have to say "caf" or "decaf" to indicate that variable.

Where are you?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 21, 2007, 11:53 AM

I'm with BRussell on this. There's "regular" and "decaff" and everything else is, well, different. At Starbucks and Seattle's Best I almost always order "regular" coffee, and I get brewed, non-decaff coffee. If I want a latte or something else, I have to order it that way.

There's one exception to this, and it's based on the store I visited. There are Seattle's Best outlets on some (all?) Royal Caribbean cruise ships, and to get "regular" coffee, they have to make café American because they don't have the appropriate hardware to brew coffee the "normal" way. It's good stuff, but it takes as long to prepare as a cappuccino.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 11:54 AM

Where I am, I just order "coffee." They assume I mean caffeinated. Sometimes they will ask if I want them to "leave room" for milk or cream, but I've never had it added for me.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2007, 11:55 AM

There's regular and decaffeinated. I don't believe there's a word for coffee with 3 heaping tsp of sugar besides "candy". Yuk.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 11:58 AM

At Tim Horton's, that venerable Canadian institution, a regular coffee means a single-single (as opposed to the infamous double-double). It is what I get, when I get coffee at Tim Horton's.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

vexborg
Senior User
Jan 21, 2007, 12:00 PM

As Oisín said, here "Regular" is black, no sugar or milk.

Not decaf as coffee with out any caffeine isn't coffee...
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

hart  (op)
Senior User
Jan 21, 2007, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
There's regular and decaffeinated. I don't believe there's a word for coffee with 3 heaping tsp of sugar besides "candy". Yuk.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 21, 2007, 12:12 PM

I don't believe there's a word for coffee with 3 heaping tsp of sugar besides "candy".
I can think of a few...

(Though, to be honest, I’d equally bestow most of those rather unflattering words on any other kind of coffee. Yuk, indeed.)

What’s café American (café américain?)?

paul w
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2007, 12:15 PM

I'm with hart, though I grew up in NY. Actually I'm surprised it means milk AND sugar. I thought it was only milk. In any case I learned to be clear and say BLACK coffee quickly before it was too late.

If you say coffee it means caffeinated. No reason to specify unless you want decaf. So I fail to see the logic of calling regular coffee.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2007, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
What’s café American (café américain?)?
café américain, also know as café allongé, refers simply to the more watered down coffee than say espresso. In Paris sometimes it actually means getting an espresso in a larger cup and a little pitcher of hot water.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
café américain, also know as café allongé, refers simply to the more watered down coffee than say espresso. In Paris sometimes it actually means getting an espresso in a larger cup and a little pitcher of hot water.

Yes. It means, "here wussy américain, here's some extra water for your coffee. I fart in your general direction."

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

hart  (op)
Senior User
Jan 21, 2007, 12:22 PM

Oisin: weren't you in China for a while? How prevelent is coffee there anyway? and how do they drink it? I spent some time in Hong Kong in the 80's but I can't remember.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2007, 01:30 PM

If you order "regular coffee" around here, they'll usually look a little bit confused, but what they assume you mean seems to be "black coffee from your most popular blend."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2007, 01:35 PM

At Dunkin Donuts a "regular" is cream and sugar

Railroader
Banned
Jan 21, 2007, 01:37 PM

Regular coffee around here = black caffeinated. No special blends or exotic flavors. Plain black coffee. I think Maxwell House™ when I think regular coffee.

Drinking a Kona blend right now with 1 sugar 1 cream.

hart  (op)
Senior User
Jan 21, 2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
At Dunkin Donuts a "regular" is cream and sugar
Ok so there's a non-Brooklyn location with the sugar thing. Any other Dunkin Donuts reports? Is that universal or just in KeriVit's local?

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2007, 01:44 PM

Here in Boston a regular is cream and sugar.
Michael

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2007, 01:49 PM

a regular coffee here means caffeinated, black

however, I usually just drink a straight espresso...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 21, 2007, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by DeathToWindows View Post
a regular coffee here means caffeinated, black

however, I usually just drink a straight espresso...
At Dunkin' Donuts they look at you funny if you order that. At least they did to me yesterday.

There might have been other reasons.

hart  (op)
Senior User
Jan 21, 2007, 02:18 PM

Just got back from the bagel store where I did research. There "regular" means milk and 2 sugars, altho some people mean just milk so they always ask.

It's the donut shop at which 3 sugars is the norm. Maybe donut customers have a heavier sweet tooth.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 21, 2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
Oisin: weren't you in China for a while? How prevelent is coffee there anyway? and how do they drink it? I spent some time in Hong Kong in the 80's but I can't remember.
Yes, I was (actually, I came from there five days ago). Coffee’s still not particularly common in China—or rather, it’s ubiquitous, but only a fairly small percentage of the population drinks it regularly.

Chinese coffee, like Chinese chocolate, is vile, even by coffee standards. In China, Nescafé is considered good, quality coffee. Brewing coffee is nigh unheard of. Starbucks is the high goal.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 21, 2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post

I knew I'd misspell that! (And I've always heard the emphasis on the last syllable so if I'd tried to put an accent on it...)

Anyway, it's typically a shot of espresso with hot water added to make a full cup (6oz).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2007, 03:31 PM

Regular is an old-school way to order it with cream and sugar. Doesn't mean anything consistent anymore.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 21, 2007, 03:33 PM

(And I've always heard the emphasis on the last syllable so if I'd tried to put an accent on it...)
C’est français—the accent means the e is to be pronounced closed, as [e], not open, as [ɛ]. The emphasis always falls on the last syllable in French.

And, now that I’ve had it explained, I find myself remembering my Portuguese teacher telling me that a watered-out coffee is often known as um americano in Portugal, as well. They certainly have high opinions of you ’Muricans

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 05:00 PM

A 'regular' coffee in Spain would be the one that would be classified between a coffee that tastes good and a coffee that tastes bad… OK, bad joke if you speak spanish (regular like being so-so)… but since I am not into coffee or any other weird drink for that matter, that joke was all I could say.

andi*pandi
Jan 21, 2007, 05:07 PM

I always thought if you order a regular coffee at Dunkin Donuts, that just means what size. I never knew that anything to do with cream or sugar implied or inferred.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Jan 21, 2007 at 05:10 PM. Reason: never knew that)

Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2007, 05:30 PM

I gotta side with the simple replies at the start, here in 'merica that is...

Long before Starbucks, and "Gourmet" coffee, ya gots yer cup a joe in a diner or coffee shop.

You park your butt and say "Coffee please".

Depending on the time of day, it would be appropriate for the waitress to ask...

"Regular or Decaf?" (Obviously... post WW II)

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
Here in Boston a regular is cream and sugar.
good to know! thank you

Alex

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
A 'regular' coffee in Spain would be the one that would be classified between a coffee that tastes good and a coffee that tastes bad… OK, bad joke if you speak spanish (regular like being so-so)… but since I am not into coffee or any other weird drink for that matter, that joke was all I could say.
Wouldn't a regular coffee in Spain be a shot of espresso? As in a cafe?

In Miami, for a 'regular' coffee you would ask for American coffee. The biggest distinction, for me anyway, depends on what country you are in: for some a coffee is espresso, for others it's drip/filter.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2007, 09:29 PM

Here in Vancouver, 'regular coffee' refers most often to drip coffee as opposed to an americano (espresso with hot water, I'm sure there are several names for this).

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2007, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Ditto. I own and run a coffee shop / restaurant. Regular and Decaf. Has nothing to do with what may (or may not) be put in it. Of course I'm just a hick from the sticks of Central New York, so who am I to question those from New York City. They must need all that sugar just to make it through the day. :stick

Also, I personally do not like anyone "fixing" my coffee for me. Dunkin Donuts always puts too much cream in it. I am also diabetic, so I must use the "pink", "blue" or "yellow" stuff. I dislike the "pink", but if I must use it I only need 1/3 packet for a 12 ounce cup. The other two a full packet will do.
macforray

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 10:12 PM

Here outside Philadelphia, "regular" coffee refers to non-decaf (as opposed to "decaf", which unsurprisingly refers to decaffeinated coffee).

Used as in, "Would you like regular or decaf?"

flyordiedays
Jan 21, 2007, 10:18 PM

Here in East Tennessee, regular coffee is caffeinated (similar to how Cadaver describes it above), and any additives are DIY.

Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2007, 03:19 AM

Well, I guess us old school hicks are in the minority worldwide. No surprise, time moves on.

Last I was in Europe, I was still a teen, more interested in the beer than the coffee. But as a coffee lover, I admit I would like to ask for a "coffee" and be served an espresso. Mr. Illy is a god. Don't own any of the company's products, I just admire the scientific approach to making the best damn coffee product possible. Bean DNA testing indeed!

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 03:26 AM

I just order "coffee" and it's (rightly) assumed to be coffee of the caffeinated variety with nothing in it.

This is at restaurants and diners, though. I don't visit caffein dens.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2007, 04:11 AM

I went to High School on Long Island, and in delis and bagle shops, regular meant cream and lots of sugar, but at most sit-down or fast food resturants, regular meant non-decaf. I think the whole regular=cream & sugar was a bit of an affectation- being purposefully obtuse to frustrate non-locals.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 22, 2007, 04:15 AM

"American coffee" - just a regular cup o' joe, regular or decaf. milk or cream on teh side. sugar and sh*t.

cappucinos, espressos, macchiatos, cortalitos, cafe cubano are all based on Italian or Cuban type coffees. Some have raw sugar added to the drink, some have milk(foamed and/or steamed) sometimes served "short" or "long" depending on the amount of water poured thru the coffee.

*Cuban coffees will turn you into a chupacabra for like 25 minutes.

**American coffee, cup for cup, bests espresso type coffees for caffeine content.

* - fact

** - real fact
ice

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2007, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by k squared View Post
Wouldn't a regular coffee in Spain be a shot of espresso? As in a cafe?
No idea sorry, it was just a joke about what a spaniard would understand if you tell him-her 'ese café es regular (ni es bueno ni malo)' --> it is neither good nor bad).

medicineman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2007, 10:45 AM

In Jersey, coffee regular is with milk and sugar.

as2
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 11:47 AM

In the UK Regular coffee is one that you have every day, or on a regular basis.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

paul w
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 11:58 AM

Coffee is something people drink to stay regular...

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2007, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Hehe

Anyways, I don't think there is a term like 'regular' coffee in Spain. Not to my knowledge.. One ask for coffee and they ask 'solo'?

So yeah. Great coffee though. In the morning I drink a café con leche with sugar and then in the noon and afternoon it is cortado without sugar. MMmmmmMMM...

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2007, 12:22 PM

Yeah, when I was in Paris, I ordered coffee everywhere and it was always espresso. I was later informed that they don't drink "normal" coffee there. Since I like espresso, it wasn't a big deal.

Here in Missouri, a regular coffee is non-decaf.

You order a regular, and they bring it to you black with creamer and sugar on the side.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by as2 View Post
In the UK Regular coffee is one that you have every day, or on a regular basis.
Also If you ordered 'coffee' in the UK you would get 1 of 2 things a) Garbage instant "coffee" with milk or b) coffee out of a filter machine with milk/cream in a little jug.
This is of course the norm NOT in an American style "Coffee Shop"

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2007, 01:28 PM

Normal = Caffeinated in Louisiana

In NYC, normal coffee =

paul w
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
In NYC, normal coffee =
Um, no.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2007, 03:04 PM

In Texas, down where I live...

"Regular" means caffeinated.
"Decaf" means decaffeinated.
"Black" means no cream or sugar.
"With cream" means with cream.
"With sugar" means with sugar.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Forum Links
Forum Rules