Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What is Sendmail in Mail.app prefs?

What is Sendmail in Mail.app prefs?
macrophyllum
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2000, 06:42 PM

I am trying to configure the Mail.app to send email from my network at work and from my dial up connection from home. In the preferences pain "Sending" there are two radio buttons. What is the one that is labeled Sendmail and then has the following path: /usr/sbin/sendmail ?

It seems that if this radio button is selected some mail sends reliably and others are apparently lost in cyberspace. Can someone please tell me just exactly what "Sendmail" is?

Thank you.

cheesler
Sep 30, 2000, 01:32 AM

sendmail is a faceless background application that acts as a mail router. It is standard on almost all unix systems and handles the vast majority of email on the internet today. sendmail is not to be confused with email readers such as Eudora or Outlook Express, or even Apple's mail.app as it cannot create or display messages. Nor is it an email server exactly, though it can be configured as such with a bit of work.
As I am still waiting for my copy of XPB (15 days and counting!) I cannot comment on exactly how its configured in that release, however, since it is such a complex piece of saftware I would not suggest playing with it unless your are familiar with it.

cheesler

macrophyllum  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2000, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by cheesler:
sendmail is a faceless background application that acts as a mail router. It is standard on almost all unix systems and handles the vast majority of email on the internet today. sendmail is not to be confused with email readers such as Eudora or Outlook Express, or even Apple's mail.app as it cannot create or display messages. Nor is it an email server exactly, though it can be configured as such with a bit of work.
As I am still waiting for my copy of XPB (15 days and counting!) I cannot comment on exactly how its configured in that release, however, since it is such a complex piece of saftware I would not suggest playing with it unless your are familiar with it.

cheesler
I think I will just stick with SMTP. Thanks for filling me in.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Sep 30, 2000, 08:02 AM

I just read about sendmail elsewhere on the 'net. OS X is a UNIX OS and hence includes sendmail. What this means is that if you use mac.com to receive your mail, you now no longer need to worry about finding an smtp server host in order to be able to *send* mail. All you need to do to configure OS X to sendmail is to choose "localhost" as your smtp mail server in internet preferences (I think).

Forum Links
Forum Rules