Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any chance for a new revision of powerbooks before the end of the year?

Any chance for a new revision of powerbooks before the end of the year?
Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2004, 05:32 PM

I've been saving my money. Before the end of the year I plan on buying 2 apple notebook computers. One for myself and one for my wife/kids. We will be moving overseas (Australia) for one year and I'd like to have the latest/greatest notebooks before we go (I hear Australia prices are very high).

lw

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Jun 27, 2004, 10:42 PM

Australia's are very high. my friend in australia comes to america just to buy new macs. as for powerbooks, i don't think so.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 11:18 PM

There is a great chance there will be a revision of Powerbooks before the end of the year.

Apple has made at least 2 revisions to the Powerbooks for as long as I can remember. 6 to 8 month intervals.

Probably speedier G4s at the same prices. Can't see much of a design change as the current ones are as close to perfection as I can imagine.

The question you have to ask yourself is will the wait be worth it? Probably not, as the increase in speed in any new G4 system will not be huge. I would just get a current Powerbook or a left over previous line. Awesome machines.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 12:37 AM

New G4s, but probably no G5s.

Kate
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 03:15 AM

Maybe...maybe not. This depends a lot on IBMs offerings. Howeveer, they seem to have worked on that front lately.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=946&s=1

It reads:

IBM Mobile PowerPC G5

Technology for a notebook version of the PowerPC G5, aka the PowerPC 970 series of processors, may be at hand. The PowerPC 970FX chip used in Apple's Power Mac G5 desktops and Xserve servers can also be used comfortably within future PowerBook notebooks through a power-management technique called "PowerTune."

G5 PowerTune design is based on a single PLL that can shift the processor into several low-power states in a single clock cycle. The PLL will be locked to a single frequency, simplifying the synchronization of circuitry. Instead, a multiplexer will divide the bus speed, thus slowing the chip. This scheme is the opposite of desktop processors, where the processor often runs at some greater multiple of a given bus speed. The frequency switch will not be limited to the processor core but also manage the processor bus, the I/O bridge and the memory controller.

The portable-space specs that are out there talk about 15 to 30 watts for maximum power. The low-frequency operating conditions in the idle state�nap�are in the 1- to 2-watt range. A PowerPC 970FX in the 1/64 "deep nap" state could run at 30MHz, which would equate to about 1.9GHz in full-speed mode. PPC 970FX-based notebook is not expected to ship before the end of the year.

Looks promising.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 03:18 AM

Walker--some crucial questions need to be answered. Mainly, what machine(s) do you currently have. And are they meeting your current needs or do you feel they are becoming obviously inadequate.

If you don't feel the urgent need or desire to upgrade immediately, then, by all means wait. If you think you will get six months of serious value (and/or pleasure) out of one or two new machines now, then buy now.

My guess is that we will see a minor upgrade to the PB's about mid to late fall. Oct/Nov seem to be a favorite time. But that is, of course, just a guess on my part.

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2004, 12:46 PM

If Apple is planning on coming out with the new G5 PB's in January, you MAY not see an upgrade to the line this year. Demand is already high for the G5 PB, and by waiting they'll just be increasing their sales in January for the new ones. If there's any upgrade at all, it'll be small like the one we just had. It was big for me because the 12" got a pretty good upgrade this time around. The 15" & 17" models received minor bumps this time around, and I'm expecting the same for the entire line IF there's another upgrade. I'd say...when you're ready to buy...buy. Don't wait if all you're waiting for is minor upgrades. No time like the present!
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

Walker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2004, 01:06 PM

My 667 DVI powerbook works fine for me now. Also I've got an 867 mh quicksilver that I'll be selling before we leave. Both of these computers work fine for me now. I have no intention of selling them until just before we leave in December 2004.

The powerbook I end up purchasing will be mainly used for video iChat with my relatives back here in the states and internet browsing/emailing. I've got enough money saved up where price really isn't an issue anymore. I simply want the top of the line powerbook. Probably a 17 incher for me, and a 12 incher for the kids (more likely an iBook for them).

The main thing I don't want to happen is to purchase a G4 Powerbook and then have the new G5's released within 30 days. That would be quite upsetting.

lw

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jun 28, 2004, 01:42 PM

No way. They are pushing the limits with the current speeds.
Buy a fast HD and you won`t notice the difference anyway.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2004, 05:06 AM

I'd like to see the G5 either come very early (so I can wait for rev B) or the G4 to stick around for another 12 months or so (then I can upgrade my rev B 12" to a rev D at the end of the year).

On second thought, no, I don't want the G4 to stick around that long.

Forum Links
Forum Rules