Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Sell current router, buy another Airport Express?

Sell current router, buy another Airport Express?
Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2004, 09:04 PM

Well, I used to own an Airport Extreme base station for a while, and it worked without a hitch. BUT, then the Airport Express was annouced! I quickly sold my Extreme and ordered an Express (can't wait to finally get the damn thing!). Anyway, while at work I saw that we had an old 802.11g wireless base station made by Microsoft (yea, i know, i know). The cool thing was that it was only going for $50, and with my discount it was coming down to around $40. I thought, this might not be such a bad deal, and i'll have two base stations to work off of instead of just one! Just recently though, the MS station has been having interference problems with my 2.4GHz Panasonic phone. Never had this problem with the Airport Extreme, and for the first month or so the MS station was working fine. So what's up? Since I bought it from work I DO have the option to return it, and go with another Express. Albeit, more money, but I would pay up for another one of those babies. The one that I've ordered is for the living room with the home stereo in it, so maybe a second one would be the best solution?
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 15, 2004, 02:15 PM

Panasonic 2.4GHz phones are famous for causing interference with WiFi.

Chances are the reason you're not having trouble now is that there's a good chance the AP Express defaults to a different WiFi channel than the MS one did.

tooki

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2004, 02:24 AM

I just setup one of those microsoft routers for my friend last night. His dad had bought it while he was at school (along with a cable modem). He managed to get the cable setup but couldn't figure out the router. Needless to say it was very easy to setup and they now love it. It seems like a solid piece of equipment. I would suggest just changing the channel of the router if you're having problems with your phone. I think it defaulted to 6... to change it just go into the setup by putting in the IP (192.168.2.1) into your web browser w/ a computer wired to the router and it should be right there. Anyway, though the airport express is nice, I don't know if I would ditch that good deal. Microsoft does seem to make good hardware (mice/keyboards/routers/etc...) even if some of us don't love their OS.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Frumpy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2004, 08:23 AM

Hey, thanks a lot for that piece of information! I'm not usually one to read the instruction manual, so I didn't even know about all of those settings that I could change with that site. I just got it home, plugged it in, and it worked! I guess it was set to 802.11b mode, and at channel 6. So i changed it to G mode, and i'll see if that might change anything. If not, I'll go back and change the channel. Thanks!
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules