Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4.4 ?

10.4.4 ?
doublep
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 12:53 AM

Does anyone care to speculate when we will get 10.4.4 ?

Apple Insider reports the following:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1418

I'm just really hoping for better drivers to improve the performance of high end nVidia GeForce cards...

msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2005, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by doublep
Does anyone care to speculate when we will get 10.4.4 ?

Apple Insider reports the following:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1418

I'm just really hoping for better drivers to improve the performance of high end nVidia GeForce cards...
real soon now.

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2005, 04:31 AM

In 2005.

nexus5.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2005, 07:05 PM

I can't wait to be disappointed! Yay!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2005, 07:09 PM

This week.

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2005, 07:58 PM

Either Saturday December 24th or Tuesday January 10th.
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 04:19 AM

Give it about two months before IT gets around to this update. Hell, some departments I know of are still on Jaguar, let alone Panther.

jdiddy
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2005, 08:12 AM

Sometime before next year.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2005, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
I can't wait to be disappointed! Yay!

&
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2005, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Grrr
&
^ That's how I feel about Tiger. Everyone should know this by now. Apple makes crap software now-a-days. I just wish they'd start making things work again.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2005, 11:16 AM

Also, I think it's about time for Adobe to update their design Apps and re-write them completely in Cocoa instead of Carbon. Carbon sucks... everyone knows that.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2005, 11:41 AM

^ That's how I feel about Tiger. Everyone should know this by now. Apple makes crap software now-a-days. I just wish they'd start making things work again.
Yes everyone knows.

That you hate tiger and you seem to be in the minority with your other statement regarding crap software, most people here thing they make excellent Operating systems and applications. Why not stop complaining about 10.4 and go back to 10.3. Life will be good for you (and us).

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
Yes everyone knows.

That you hate tiger and you seem to be in the minority with your other statement regarding crap software, most people here thing they make excellent Operating systems and applications. Why not stop complaining about 10.4 and go back to 10.3. Life will be good for you (and us).
I did revert back to 10.3 at home which still doesn't change my opinion about Tiger but sadly, I have to use Tiger at work and it's not fun for me. When you use Tiger along with Adobe Apps all day, you notice every little annoying glitch and bug that Tiger has which Panther did not have. So I have the right to complain, I'm a power user so I don't just use it for email and web browsing. I use almost everything in the OS as well as a lot of Pro Apps. Also, I have an extreme attention to detail because I'm a graphic designer and a perfectionist.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2005, 01:22 PM

So I have the right to complain, I'm a power user so I don't just use it for email and web browsing. I use almost everything in the OS as well as a lot of Pro Apps. Also, I have an extreme attention to detail because I'm a graphic designer and a perfectionist.
Well I use it quite heavily myself (not just emails and surfing) and have not noticed any the issues you posted in various other threads. Do you have a right to complain sure - its America but you seem a little over the top to state "Apple makes crap software now-a-days." If that's how you feel then why don't you buy a PC and/or find a job that uses a PC. Nobody is holding a gun to your head making you use Apple products that you seem to despise so much.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 02:05 PM

I did revert back to 10.3 at home which still doesn't change my opinion about Tiger but sadly, I have to use Tiger at work and it's not fun for me. When you use Tiger along with Adobe Apps all day, you notice every little annoying glitch and bug that Tiger has which Panther did not have. So I have the right to complain, I'm a power user so I don't just use it for email and web browsing. I use almost everything in the OS as well as a lot of Pro Apps. Also, I have an extreme attention to detail because I'm a graphic designer and a perfectionist.
There is a difference between "extreme attention to detail" AND making "mountains out of mole hills"

There are a couple of things in Tiger that I would like addressed, but I haven't seen anything that would EVER make me consider reverting back to 10.3.9...

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 02:12 PM

Let Spaz complain. Why should we care? Does Tiger work for you or not? Was Panther better for you or not?

Do the complaints from Spaz suddenly make your system start acting weirdly for you?

If you don't like it, just skip over the Spaz's comments. That's what I do.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Dec 19, 2005, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by kcmac
Let Spaz complain. Why should we care? Does Tiger work for you or not? Was Panther better for you or not?

Do the complaints from Spaz suddenly make your system start acting weirdly for you?

If you don't like it, just skip over the Spaz's comments. That's what I do.
Ok, but server-wise, it's taking up space, and post-wise, it's taking up bandwidth. The MacNN servers can take on bozo repeating the same things over and over again but what if there were 100 bozos?

The behavior is inexcusable. It would be fine if his comments about Tiger being a disaster happened once a month, but they're posted once every 3 hours, daily!

I'd have pity for him if he was FORCED to use 10.4 but he's got complete access to 10.3 and he's unwilling to revert back simply to continue yammering about 10.4's suckiness. He's earned a one-way ticket to 'IgnoresVille'. Too bad MacNN is hiding that feature in the user prefs.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Dec 19, 2005 at 04:00 PM. )

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2005, 04:25 PM

So I have the right to complain
I recall reading a post by you a while ago saying that your tired of getting flamed and/or arguing with everyone else here at macnn that doesn't have a problem with tiger and you'll no longer post imflammatory/negative posts regarding tiger.

I'm sure windows has no problems

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2005, 05:18 PM

I'm a power user so I don't just use it for email and web browsing. I use almost everything in the OS as well as a lot of Pro Apps. Also, I have an extreme attention to detail because I'm a graphic designer and a perfectionist.
As a Power User I'm sure you have more important work to do than posting on the MacNN Forums all the time. Give us all a break.

Back to the subject.

Any real information on the update?

OreoCookie
Dec 19, 2005, 05:20 PM

Live and let live, guys. If someone has problems or other personal preferences, then let him, ok?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2005, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jonesy
As a Power User I'm sure you have more important work to do than posting on the MacNN Forums all the time. Give us all a break.

Back to the subject.

Any real information on the update?
well put

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2005, 08:50 PM

Back to the topic, 10.4.4 very much better fix the issue of the NVidia drivers where they broke the front buffer in 10.4.3.

The company I work for bought a brand new Quad G5 with a package over £5000 and it was shipped with 10.4.3. It came with a Geforce 6600 and there are a few critical pieces of software I use that I haven't been able to run because the drivers are broken.

Since when was shipping £5000 machines with faulty software acceptable?

It wouldn't piss me off so much if there was an update released quickly but it's been weeks now. Would it have been so hard to make an installer with the 10.4.2 NVidia drivers?

What is the deal with the constant updates to the drivers anyway? We seem to get new ones every release now and they never seem to get any better. Not faster anyway.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Dec 20, 2005, 08:51 AM

It's going to be delayed....

There are issues getting the Snappy™ functionality in and the Debug code out.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2005, 10:33 AM

...I'm a power user so I don't just use it for email and web browsing. I use almost everything in the OS as well as a lot of Pro Apps. Also, I have an extreme attention to detail because I'm a graphic designer and a perfectionist.

nexus5.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
I'd have pity for him if he was FORCED to use 10.4 but he's got complete access to 10.3 and he's unwilling to revert back simply to continue yammering about 10.4's suckiness. He's earned a one-way ticket to 'IgnoresVille'. Too bad MacNN is hiding that feature in the user prefs.
I am forced to use 10.4 every day at work and I explained earlier that here at work we do not have a copy of Panther around, otherwise I'd revert to Panther at work. I think the things I complain about are reasonable. I have to download 3rd party software and learn about little work-arounds in order to get the OS to operate correctly and it's tiring when Panther worked so much better in my opinion.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 03:01 PM

On the server side, I heard from someone that it fixes the problem with MySQL and PHP talking on the same server? It was a socket problem that can be fixed my apple's instruction...but is annoying. Can anyone confirm this has been fixed?
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 03:30 PM

I am forced to use 10.4 every day at work and I explained earlier that here at work we do not have a copy of Panther around, otherwise I'd revert to Panther at work. I think the things I complain about are reasonable. I have to download 3rd party software and learn about little work-arounds in order to get the OS to operate correctly and it's tiring when Panther worked so much better in my opinion.
Seriously, there are no features that "worked better" under Panther.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 09:18 PM

I explained earlier that here at work we do not have a copy of Panther around, otherwise I'd revert to Panther at work.
One word - Ebay

I understand no OS is perfect, no OS is the end all and be all and to be fair, and I mean this. Why not pick up a copy of panther on ebay. You spend a lot of time and energy here posting about the short comings of tiger, which means you spend even more time at work dealing with these problems, so just downgrade to panther. You'll be happier and live longer.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 09:30 PM

I have an extreme attention to detail because I'm a graphic designer and a perfectionist.
This self-proclaimed talent as a perfectionist may be the answer to your dilemmas.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chinasaur
It's going to be delayed....

There are issues getting the Snappy™ functionality in and the Debug code out.

It was funny five years ago.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 05:31 AM

Where is the ignore feature? That would be useful.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2005, 10:18 AM

The ignore feature is activated by pressing cmd-w.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 10:33 AM

Tiger is at least as good as Jayson's HTML

signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Kristoff
Tiger is at least as good as Jayson's HTML

Yep, you caught me. I'm not an HTML expert. What does that prove? I'm not a programmer but, I do know what I like in a program. Did you happen to see how often I actually work on that site?

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 10:39 AM

It was a joke. I actually think your layout looks nice. Chill......

But much like Tiger, there are some very minor issues that will only present themselves under certain circumstances.

But it wouldn't be too hard to get it to validate

Cheers!
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2005, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kristoff
It was a joke. I actually think your layout looks nice. Chill......

But much like Tiger, there are some very minor issues that will only present themselves under certain circumstances.

But it wouldn't be too hard to get it to validate

Cheers!
Sorry... I didn't realize it was a joke but, taking a second look I did see you used the icon. Sorry for attacking you. Thank you for the compliment too. Heh.

cambro
Senior User
Dec 21, 2005, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Webscreamer
On the server side, I heard from someone that it fixes the problem with MySQL and PHP talking on the same server? It was a socket problem that can be fixed my apple's instruction...but is annoying. Can anyone confirm this has been fixed?
No, but I can confirm that it has never been broken.

My server runs MySQL and PHP has not had any problem under 10.4.x. (or 10.x.x for that matter).

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by cambro
No, but I can confirm that it has never been broken.

My server runs MySQL and PHP has not had any problem under 10.4.x. (or 10.x.x for that matter).

Then why did apple create this?
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301457

I had problems... I followed the instructions and it works fine. I just hope they have a fully compatible version of PHP and MySQL that supports MySQLs new passwords out of the box...

cambro
Senior User
Dec 21, 2005, 02:04 PM

Well, there must be an issue on some installations, but all I can tell you is that I run MySQL 5.0.15 and PHP 4.3.11 on both a G5 and a Powerbook G4 running 10.4.x with no problem - mysql_pconnect just works.

Perhaps this is only an issue with 10.4.x server and the shipping versions of the software on the server? If you install MySQL and turn on PHP on a regular OS X installation everything works fine.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by cambro
Well, there must be an issue on some installations, but all I can tell you is that I run MySQL 5.0.15 and PHP 4.3.11 on both a G5 and a Powerbook G4 running 10.4.x with no problem - mysql_pconnect just works.

Perhaps this is only an issue with 10.4.x server and the shipping versions of the software on the server? If you install MySQL and turn on PHP on a regular OS X installation everything works fine.
Well, you installed MySQL 5.. that's why it works. It doesn't work on default install.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2005, 09:47 PM

Well, you installed MySQL 5.. that's why it works. It doesn't work on default install.
Then... download MySQL 5? Problem solved?

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 09:48 PM

Then... download MySQL 5? Problem solved?
I don't want to use MySQL 5 yet.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2005, 05:02 AM

Just Burdiet.
Linkinus is king.

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2005, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Seriously, there are no features that "worked better" under Panther.
I perfer Tiger but it did break wireless printing (Canon i865) on two computers for me, this problem is well documented on the Apple forums (and here!).
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2005, 05:06 PM

Right. And if you update an 10.3 Server with MySQL/PHP to 10.4 then you have a problem.

nexus5.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2005, 05:17 PM

Also, I think it's about time for Adobe to update their design Apps and re-write them completely in Cocoa instead of Carbon. Carbon sucks... everyone knows that.
Oddly, every time the subject comes up on these fora, the developers, who actually KNOW what the hell they're talking about, seem to disagree.

Maybe it's just "power users" who know this?

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2005, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Oddly, every time the subject comes up on these fora, the developers, who actually KNOW what the hell they're talking about, seem to disagree.

Maybe it's just "power users" who know this?
I'm not a developer but, it seems to me that Carbon is bad. I don't like it. I much perfer Cocoa because they seem to run smoother for me... and it doesn't remind me of OS 9 as much ;-)

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2005, 12:59 AM

I'm not a developer but, it seems to me that Carbon is bad. I don't like it. I much perfer Cocoa because they seem to run smoother for me... and it doesn't remind me of OS 9 as much ;-)
Carbon is not bad,
FUD

donparr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2005, 01:11 AM

It may just be 'me,' and the fact that I'm still new and mostly email and surf the net, but I'm thrilled with 10.4.3, but I would give 10.4.4 a look I suppose .
iMac 24-inch 2.16 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB DDR SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM
250GB HDD
iBook G4 - 14”
OSX “Tiger” 10.4.8
~ Saving one animal won’t change the world, but the world will change for that one animal. ~

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2005, 01:31 AM

Carbon gets a bad rep for two reasons: the first (and primary one) is that all the old OS9 apps were ported over using it, and naturally they act like OS9 apps. The second is that it's harder to work with than Cocoa, so more developer time is put into just getting things working, and less into polishing it. However, what a lot of people don't realize is that Carbon is both faster (in general) and more complete (in general) than Cocoa, with the result that many Cocoa apps use Carbon internally for certain things.

<edit> For stuff that isn't extremely performance-sensitive (i.e. just about everything), and stuff that's possible to do from Cocoa (most stuff), I do prefer Cocoa. It's just easier and faster to work with, and happy programmers == good code </edit>

Forum Links
Forum Rules