Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Music from iTunes on an external HD

Music from iTunes on an external HD
Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2006, 07:22 PM

So i'm in the situation of running out of room on my PB 12" 60gig hard drive because of my music. 28 gigs to be exact. I have an 80gig external FW drive that I'd like to put all of this music onto to free up my PB drive for some video editing. The thing I'm trying to figure out, is how do I get my music, playlists, and even play counts to translate over smoothly to the other drive? And how would I use it from another drive. Do I have to install a copy of iTunes on the other drive and open it from the drive? Will that still work with my iPod? I still need iTunes on the PB drive, though, for my podcasts. I love taking those to work with me. Any ideas?
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

thiagofll
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2006, 07:37 PM

Drag the songs from the folder where you currently have your MP3 files at into the external hard drive. Then open iTunes...Make sure you delete all the song folder from the itune library (so u can start fresh, after you got all your songs in the external hard drive of course). Then from your external hard drive, drag the folder where your mp3s are located at into the iTunes Source window...
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]My Gadgets: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Wireless Mighty Mouse // MacBook Pro 17" 2.44Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM / 8GB Apple iPhone/ JBL Spot/ Canon SD850 w/ 4GB Card/ Canon XTi Rebel Black.[/FONT]

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2006, 04:35 PM

And make sure that you have the "copy songs to itunes folder" option UNCHECKED.

Forum Links
Forum Rules