Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod touch advice

iPod touch advice
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2007, 08:04 PM

So it looks like I'll be buying an iPod touch soon. First of all though, does anyone suspect the touch will be updated in January? I thought it might be at first, but now I'm not so sure. Also, if I buy it in late December from say, Best Buy, will I be able to return it if it's updated and get the new model (or bigger size or whatever is standard)?

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2007, 08:20 PM

Apparently an SDK will be out for the iPhone and touch about that time, so it's likely there will be a lot of application development for them, regardless of any hardware updates.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2007, 08:53 PM

Yeah I heard about that. The 16 Gb size would be nice, but that's out of my budget. I would wait if there were some rumors out about that becoming the new standard size, but I just wanted to know what you guys thought. Thanks for the fast reply!

passmaster16
Senior User
Nov 12, 2007, 01:36 PM

I was wondering this myself. I'd like to get a Touch but I'd be willing to wait until January if the new revision is imminent. If anything, I would mind getting the 16GB version for a little less money.

Voch
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2007, 02:24 PM

I'm kinda wondering when the refurbished iPod Touches are going to show up at the Apple Store. That might bring the 16GB $399 model down to, say, $349. Then I *might* jump after I find out early next year if the SDK is going to make the iPod Touch a PDA/mobile platform.

jaydon34
Senior User
Nov 12, 2007, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Yeah I heard about that. The 16 Gb size would be nice, but that's out of my budget. I would wait if there were some rumors out about that becoming the new standard size, but I just wanted to know what you guys thought. Thanks for the fast reply!
I've got one for sale in great condition
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

terryshaw09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2007, 06:05 PM

you wont be able to return it for an updated one though if thats the case

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2007, 07:46 PM

Would there be a hardware bump so soon after introduction? iPhone, I can understand, but it'd be really short on the life cycle if they did the Touch.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Visnaut
Senior User
Nov 29, 2007, 12:24 AM

I highly doubt a hardware revision is coming soon.

Although there is no historical data on the iPod touch, if we use the classic and the nano as examples, their average time between hardware refreshes are well over 200 days. Since we're only 85 days into the touch's release, I wouldn't worry about a refresh until next summer at least.

A good source of info for this is the MacRumors Buyer's Guide

passmaster16
Senior User
Nov 29, 2007, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
I highly doubt a hardware revision is coming soon.

Although there is no historical data on the iPod touch, if we use the classic and the nano as examples, their average time between hardware refreshes are well over 200 days. Since we're only 85 days into the touch's release, I wouldn't worry about a refresh until next summer at least.

A good source of info for this is the MacRumors Buyer's Guide
I agree. I think MWSF would probably be too early for a revision. Amazon had the 16GB for $360 last week so I finally broke down and pulled the trigger. I wasn't planning on the 16GB due to the cost, but I figured that taking 10% off to get the 16GB was a better deal than only getting 2% off for 8GB. I think the 8GB has been outselling the 16GB which is why there is very little discount on the 8 vs 16.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2007, 10:22 AM

I, too, just pulled the trigger and bought one from a local guy on Craigslist. Unopened with receipt (will open to make sure it's not a rock!) on a 16GB won in a prize draw for $400 which puts me on par with US pricing and no taxes.

Update: jb'd and running with full assortment of apps. This thing is absolutely amazing and after waiting for about 4 years since my Palm V died, I finally have a new PDA! As someone said in another forum somewhere: do I need it, no. Am I happy I got it? Absolutely.
( Last edited by legacyb4; Nov 30, 2007 at 10:45 AM. )
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Forum Links
Forum Rules