Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anyone know of a Mail client that...?

Anyone know of a Mail client that...?
Aviah Morag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2001, 06:07 AM

Hi,

Is there are mail program that supports threading for mail? By which I mean the following - instead of having to click between the Inbox and Outbox, etc., you could view one [collapsable] thread, starting from the original message, all replies sent back/forth, and the latest message? This would be AMAZING if it were possible.

Aviah

pdjr
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2001, 11:28 AM

Most current e-mail programs can do that as long as the people on both ends have them set up to "include original message text" on replies and forwards.

Aviah Morag  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2001, 01:51 AM

You're right, but this is annoying, both users have to select it (and if one doesn't, everything is lost), and you have to sent the entire chain back and forth. It's hard to believe that it's impossible to thread mail like you can do with Newsgroups.

Aviah

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2001, 03:38 AM

As you have already noticed, threadding is typical of newsgroups, and that is, for all practical purposes, managed by the server, not the client. The server keeps the topic starting posts and subsequent replies in a hierarchy. The newsreader client then replicates that order.

Threading is not typical of most email transactions, therefore most email clients do not even atempt to copy the look or feel of genuine newsgroups.

If you would like that kind of representation, I would recommend trying out http://egroups.yahoo.com/ That way you can set up a group messaging management system that will provide exactly what you want without investing in any software or expecting users to try to set up their programs in any specific manner.

Aviah Morag  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2001, 06:03 AM

Interesting, I'll look into that. As for my regular mail, perhaps what could help is a way of threading e-mails to and from individual people, without anything on the part of the server. That way I could keep track, for example, of what I wrote, what a person's response was, and so on...

Aviah

Forum Links
Forum Rules