Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why is my Mac waking during the night?

Why is my Mac waking during the night?
Le Flaneur
Senior User
Dec 11, 2010, 08:25 AM

I have a MacBook Pro used in closed clamshell mode with a 27" Apple Cinema Display. Plugged into the ACD's USB bus are an iPhone, an Apple Modem, and an Apple wired keyboard. I'm seeing seemingly random wakeups during the night:

Dec 11 01:29:04 Musa loginwindow33: loginwindow SleepWakeCallback will power on, Currenttime:12/11/2010 1:29:04.755 AM - Waketime:12/11/2010 1:28:58.690 AM = Deltatime:6.065069914
Dec 11 01:29:07 Musa configd[13]: Sleep: Success - AC 100 - Maintenance Sleep
Dec 11 01:29:07 Musa configd[13]: Wake: Success - AC 100 - RTC

Dec 11 05:32:08 Musa loginwindow33: loginwindow SleepWakeCallback will power on, Currenttime:12/11/2010 5:32:08.942 AM - Waketime:12/11/2010 5:32:04.660 AM = Deltatime:4.282137990

Why?

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2010, 04:33 PM

It seems that some process called Musa is wanting something. Do you know what Musa is, have you installed it? All I could find was some font called that, but fonts don't usually go around launching processes.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Dec 11, 2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
It seems that some process called Musa is wanting something. Do you know what Musa is, have you installed it? All I could find was some font called that, but fonts don't usually go around launching processes.
"Musa" is the name of my computer.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 11, 2010, 04:51 PM

I would guess at one of the USB devices.
Does this happen regularly, every night?

Disconnect the power adapter and leave it running on battery, USB devices won't wake up a machine while it's on battery.

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2010, 05:07 PM

Possibly a bluetooth mouse waking the MBP? You don't mention a USB mouse so I'm wondering if you have "allow bluetooth devices to wake the computer" in System Prefs?

If you have a USB mouse plugged in the keyboard, then perhaps the mouse is getting jogged by something?

Either that or some app that insists on updating on the iPhone is triggering it via the USB bus. Leave the iPhone disconnected overnight to see.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Dec 11, 2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
I would guess at one of the USB devices.
Does this happen regularly, every night?
It does seem to happen almost every night.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Dec 11, 2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Possibly a bluetooth mouse waking the MBP? You don't mention a USB mouse so I'm wondering if you have "allow bluetooth devices to wake the computer" in System Prefs?

If you have a USB mouse plugged in the keyboard, then perhaps the mouse is getting jogged by something?

Either that or some app that insists on updating on the iPhone is triggering it via the USB bus. Leave the iPhone disconnected overnight to see.
You're right -- I have a (bluetooth) Magic Mouse. And I do have "allow bluetooth devices to wake the computer" in System Prefs. But the Magic Mouse wouldn't be waking the computer on its own, would it?

OK, I'll leave the iPhone disconnected overnight.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 11, 2010, 10:57 PM

If anything vibrates the mouse enough, it MIGHT be enough to wake the computer. It's worth a shot to change that setting.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Kiana Walker<3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2010, 11:58 PM

It's definitely a ghost!^__^ my mac does this too. I don't know what it is. But frankly, I don't really care(: I don't think it's anything serious.

P
Dec 12, 2010, 08:21 AM

Have you tried disabling "Wake for network access" ?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Dec 12, 2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
If anything vibrates the mouse enough, it MIGHT be enough to wake the computer. It's worth a shot to change that setting.
I checked, and only clicking the mouse wakes the computer; moving it does not.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Dec 12, 2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Have you tried disabling "Wake for network access" ?
I've hesitated to do that, because it's required by the new Wake on LAN feature in Snow Leopard, but that could be the culprit.
( Last edited by Le Flaneur; Dec 12, 2010 at 05:13 PM. )

P
Dec 12, 2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Le Flaneur View Post
This is generally true, but there is one confusing exception: If you have a "wireless desktop", with both mouse and keyboard that connect to one wireless adapter, then moving the mouse will wake the computer. If the mouse is connected "directly", either through bluetooth, a separate wireless adapter or wired, moving it will not wake anything.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Thorzdad
Dec 12, 2010, 04:47 PM

Odd. Simply moving the MagicMouse that came with my iMac does wake the computer from sleep. No click needed.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Dec 12, 2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Odd. Simply moving the MagicMouse that came with my iMac does wake the computer from sleep. No click needed.
You have a bluetooth keyboard as well? See P's post.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2010, 07:37 PM

I've hesitated to do that, because it's required by the new Wake on LAN feature in Snow Leopard, but that could be the culprit.
I have the exact same issue with my MacBook Pro and I've disabled wake on network connection with no fix. It wakes up at 2:53am every morning. Super annoying. And I don't have a wireless mouse, I use a wired Mighty Mouse.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2010, 07:44 PM

Did you try disconnecting the modem overnight?
Do you own a cat?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Dec 12, 2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Did you try disconnecting the modem overnight?
Do you own a cat?
I haven't disconnected the modem yet, but I did uncheck "wake on ring" in Energy Preferences. Made no difference. No cat.

Forum Links
Forum Rules