Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Australian pricing... Ouch!

Australian pricing... Ouch!
michaelb
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 08:45 PM

Look, I know the Australian dollar is worth only slightly more than an Argentinian IOU at the moment, but even with current exchange rates, someone at Frenchs Forest really needs to learn Excel a bit better.

Australian price "should" equal (=) US price divided by (/) current exchange rate, times (*) GST.... right?

So for the top-end model:

Theoretical Aust. price = 1799 / 0.52 * 1.1 = AUD 3805.58

Okay, add around a hundred bucks per unit to navigate customs, and a further hundred to keep the Frenchs Forest employees in a job, and call it a price point of $3,995.

Not! Go to the online Apple Store and find the actual price is $4,195.

And with the Australian economy showing strength and the undervalued dollar improving daily, that pricing is going to look extremely suspect over the coming months.

Guess who's going to wait until his next trip stateside to pick one up...

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2002, 09:17 PM

Man i can feel youre pain. I hope the imacs have a slight price drop soon.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2002, 09:54 PM

What really sucks is that these machines are manufactured in Taiwan
then shipped to the USA to be boxed up then shipped to Australia.

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2002, 11:15 PM

Just got of the phone with a guy from the apple store. He told me that all imacs should be in Oz within the month.

neverwind
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2002, 01:17 AM

And that's not all:

We, in Australia, cannot order our prints online or send away for a hardcover photo album using iPhoto. What's with that? Are not those two features the ones that stand iPhoto out from the crowd? What do we do for prints?

Damn Apple Australia.

Heman
Jan 8, 2002, 01:26 AM

New iMacs in Oz cost au$500-$700 more than those in apple store Hong Kong.

Hehe, I've just ordered a 800Mhz one and a friend of mine will bring it here.
Powerbook G4 15" Alu 1.33GHz 768MB, combo Drive

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2002, 04:11 AM

Originally posted by neverwind:
<STRONG>And that's not all:

We, in Australia, cannot order our prints online or send away for a hardcover photo album using iPhoto. What's with that? Are not those two features the ones that stand iPhoto out from the crowd? What do we do for prints?

Damn Apple Australia. </STRONG>
Why cant you order online? just curious.I Wish mac's were slightly cheaper in oz.

neverwind
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2002, 07:42 AM

Why cant you order online?
Because the iPhoto online prints and online book ordering are for the US and Canada for now...

It seems the rest of the world are second class people. Whats the point of offering the software for download around the world if we can't use the key features?

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 8, 2002, 07:45 AM

It's an outrage. People who run Apple here in Australia have no clue.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: ]

gMan
Jan 9, 2002, 12:24 AM

The first thing I did when I saw the new iMac is go to the Apple Australia online store to see what they'd be selling it for in comparison to the U.S price. Australian's have always been ripped off when it comes to Apple products (although it's not just Apple products...) For the high end model, convert the U.S price to Australian dollars and ADD MORE THAN $700!! For many, that's enough to make an affordable product unaffordable.

If I get one, I'll get it from the U.S. I don't care if I have to pay $200 shipping, it's still a massive saving in my opinion.

<Dan>
Jan 9, 2002, 07:39 PM

Believe me, this is certainly not unique to Apple products along in Oz. I've been shopping around for a digital camera (specifically a Minolta Dimage 7) here in Sydney to go with whatever new Mac I get. The price here ranges around the AUD2800 mark when I can get it mail order from the States for USD6-700. If that isn't absurd, I don't know what is. I've put off the purchase till the next time I travel and bought an iPod instead. At least the price differential isn't quite so severe there.

Doesn't anyone think that lugging a 10+kg box with them back to Oz is a pain though? I was going to get a TiBook in Asia (which is incidentally about AUD1000 cheaper than it is here) but I think the iMac's won me over.

Big Fat Octopus
Jan 9, 2002, 11:08 PM

Before you buy one in the States and haul it back to OZ just remember that the modem will not work with Australia's phone system. The power adapter that a US model uses can be easily modified but the modem would have to be replaced. It costs around AUD$400 to replace a modm in an Egg iMac so there goes the savings you thought you'd get, DOH!

Also Apple Australia gets products shipped from Singapore, not the USA.

I agree that the price is a bit stiff across the Apple range. Chop $200 off the price of all iMac models and they'd be much more attractive. TiBooks and PM G4s need about a $300-400 reality check too. Only the iBook range bears any sensible price tag for Aussies, in fact their pricing is spot on!
- 24" iMac 2.4Ghz 4GB 500GB
- PMG4 450Mhz 384Mb OSXserver.
- iPhone 3GS

<wiggles>
Jan 10, 2002, 05:02 AM

Originally posted by neverwind:
<STRONG>

Because the iPhoto online prints and online book ordering are for the US and Canada for now...

It seems the rest of the world are second class people.</STRONG>
Did you just notice that recently?

OF COURSE EVERYONE BUT AMERICANS ARE SECOND CLASS.

DUH.

iAntipodean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2002, 05:03 AM

As much as I am impressed by the new iMac I'm curious/furious as to why Apple Australia have priced the range up to 15% dearer than the current exchange rate and seem to be the only international Apple who have! It ain't that expensive to live here. Probably not of much interest to our lucky American cousins but very dissappointing for loyal Mac-stralians down here.

Or are Apple gearing up to do a Gateway and looking for an excuse to pull-out of less profitable regions?

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2002, 05:26 AM

Originally posted by iAntipodean:
<STRONG>As much as I am impressed by the new iMac I'm curious/furious as to why Apple Australia have priced the range up to 15% dearer than the current exchange rate and seem to be the only international Apple who have! It ain't that expensive to live here. Probably not of much interest to our lucky American cousins but very dissappointing for loyal Mac-stralians down here.

Or are Apple gearing up to do a Gateway and looking for an excuse to pull-out of less profitable regions? </STRONG>
Steve jobs are u reading this. Apple wake up. someone should email him.

gMan
Jan 11, 2002, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by Big Fat Octopus:
<STRONG>Before you buy one in the States and haul it back to OZ just remember that the modem will not work with Australia's phone system. The power adapter that a US model uses can be easily modified but the modem would have to be replaced. It costs around AUD$400 to replace a modm in an Egg iMac so there goes the savings you thought you'd get, DOH!
</STRONG>
I had thought of that, but plan to have the iMac on a network with shared 'net access, so I wouldn't be using the modem anyways.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2002, 03:03 AM

The modem should work. Just set it to "ignore dial tone" in the modem control panel. Works for me (and my US-bought PBG3).

retroneo
Jan 11, 2002, 07:39 AM

<STRONG>Before you buy one in the States and haul it back to OZ just remember that the modem will not work with Australia's phone system.

The power adapter that a US model uses can be easily modified but the modem would have to be replaced. </STRONG>

To fix the modem use the "Modem Country Selector" in the Apple Extras folder inside the Applications (Mac OS 9) folder. You must start up in OS 9 to do this classic won't work. It does not need to be replaced!!!!

iMac doesn't use a power adapter, the power supply is internal so no problem there.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: retroneo ]

Wardy
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2002, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by molala:
<STRONG>The modem should work. Just set it to "ignore dial tone" in the modem control panel. Works for me (and my US-bought PBG3).</STRONG>
It may well work but I think it's a violation of Austel rules. And I think that's a bit serious if you're found out - which you may be if it upsets things in the exchange.

Nothing to panic about - just something I remember reading a long time back about the price differences between US and Oz.
iMac G4 800Mhz, 1Gb; Mac OS 10.3; Canon S200SP; Zip 250 USB; Canon MV30i; iPod 40Gb; Canon PowerShot G3; UMAX 1220U
iMac Rev A, 96Mb, MacOS 9.2.2

Wardy
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2002, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by michaelb:
<STRONG>Australian price "should" equal (=) US price divided by (/) current exchange rate, times (*) GST.... right?</STRONG>
Just a thought ....

I think things might be even worse than this. I know nothing about the US tax system but here in Oz, GST (10%) is not applicable to exports.

So, something worth $4400 retail to Australian would be exported for only $4000.

Do we need to remove some of the retail price amount from the US Apple Store prices for US tax? Or is tha tax still payable for exports? Or is the tax on top of the Apple Store price?

If it's not applicable to exports, the formula would be :

<font face = "courier"> AUD = ( ( USD - ??%) * exchange_rate ) + GST (10%)</font>

A whole lot worse....
iMac G4 800Mhz, 1Gb; Mac OS 10.3; Canon S200SP; Zip 250 USB; Canon MV30i; iPod 40Gb; Canon PowerShot G3; UMAX 1220U

Cipher13
Jan 11, 2002, 09:50 AM

Apple Au sucks.

Screw a $2995 iMac (BASE model)...

I just got a 600 MHz Graphite G3 iMac (the model before the Sunflower) for $2195 - thats like a $700 saving.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2002, 10:57 AM

if you buy from the online Apple Store in the US, you still pay additional state tax, which ranges from 0 to 9% i think (depending on which state you reside in). while the Australian Apple Store already includes the GST in the price.

re: modem. i don't see any difference between a modem dialing directly whether it waits for a dial tone or not and my dialing a local number whether i wait for a dial tone or not. it's just timing - why would this be illegal?

Wardy
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2002, 11:13 AM

<STRONG>i don't see any difference between a modem dialing directly whether it waits for a dial tone or not and my dialing a local number whether i wait for a dial tone or not. it's just timing - why would this be illegal?</STRONG>
I can't remember all the details. Maybe there's a web site but i'm too tired (2am local time) to care right now.

Basically, there are telecom rules enforced by the government, not the telco's. Things like the number of rings allowed before an auto pickup (it's minimum 2) must be enforced. There's some other obscure stuff like millisecond delays here and there.

It's more than the dial tone.

Then again, this might be propaganda to make local modems more expensive than o/s equivalents!

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2002, 11:26 AM

Thats horrible! Thats a hellovalotta money!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2002, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by &lt;wiggles&gt;:
<STRONG>

Did you just notice that recently?

OF COURSE EVERYONE BUT AMERICANS ARE SECOND CLASS.

DUH.</STRONG>

Wiggles, It's just not Australian people that hate you, everyone hates you. I'm not going to blow a post on your crap...

----------------------------- ANYWAY ------------------------------

Perhaps some of you Oz types would be interested in having
someone from the US ship your iPhoto books to you for $5 US +
S&H? I don't know how that works, but I bet it could be done. It
would still cost an arm and a leg. Perhaps we could ship
computers considering I live a block away from the Apple Store here

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2002, 12:32 PM

thanks for expounding on that... i hope rule is not so complex, maybe putting a comma or two before the phone number to delay the dialing would make the modem fully government-compliant. $400 does sound like a scam to me to change a perfectly working modem.

Originally posted by Wardy:
<STRONG>

I can't remember all the details. Maybe there's a web site but i'm too tired (2am local time) to care right now.

Basically, there are telecom rules enforced by the government, not the telco's. Things like the number of rings allowed before an auto pickup (it's minimum 2) must be enforced. There's some other obscure stuff like millisecond delays here and there.

It's more than the dial tone.

Then again, this might be propaganda to make local modems more expensive than o/s equivalents! </STRONG>

Asimuth
Jan 11, 2002, 05:12 PM

Like the defenses that people are mounting but, unfortunately, Apple Australia is worse than everyone is discussing. while it takes a long time to get a new communication device passed by Austel it is not expensive (less than $10g - even for a "major" communication device). The iMac is no biggie and the parts are relatively standard.

The price calcuation used originally was bodgy. Apple Australia buys at wholesale price from Singapore (including a volume discount because AA is one of the larger markets outside the US). The ex-factory price does not include shipping but Singapore to Sydney is a back-load because most of the primary produce shipping is heading in the other direction. When it lands in Sydney AA pays for warehousing (aha some equalty!) BUT... they only keep 4 to 6 weeks ahead of demand so the warehousing is pretty brief. Most of the cost is re-labelling to suit their stock tracking system.

Distribution cost in Australia are relatively high, but still not enough to justify the price gap.

Since Apple is claiming some 24% profit you would be safe in saying the markup between wholesale and retail (including distribution costs) is about 15% (Apple will make some profit on manufacture and some on wholesale and some on the retail margins through the online store and AppleStores). That means our illustrious Apple Australia is landing new iMacs in Australia alot cheaper than they are selling them via franchise distributors.

The outstanding services offered by Apple Australia would make up for the rate of theft right? Ah, no, actually, very few services are offered locally - certainly nowhere near the level of support for iMac buyers in the states. Not to mention that we usually get a different (inferior) software bundle...

ps. GST is at the retailer (transfers of GST along the supply chain are essentially at no cost to the supplier) so it is not a factor in pricing until just before the machine is in your hands - and since it is a percentage the lower the price, the lower the tax.

Don't want to make you sad, just pointing out why foreign sales accounted for some 40% of Apple US profits.

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2002, 12:30 AM

If you have jobs email. please email him. damn u apple australia

Oink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2002, 01:05 AM

One of the reason I left Australia was that computers related stuff, especially books, are way overpriced.

80% of the people I know in Australia are scared of computers, and they think they are luxury items, only corporations use them! It is quite scary.

It is a shame, lovely country, unbeatable weather, bluest ski....

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: Oink ]

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2002, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by Oink:
<STRONG>One of the reason I left Australia was that computers related stuff, especially books, are way overpriced.

80% of the people I know in Australia are scared of computers, and they think they are luxury items, only corporations use them! It is quite scary.

It is a shame, lovely country, unbeatable weather, bluest ski....</STRONG>
Agreed

Big Fat Octopus
Jan 12, 2002, 08:53 AM

Oink, you must have lived the wrong side of the black stump when you were living in Australia!

Australia has the highest per capita usage of the Internet in the world and the same goes for mobile phone usage!!! That makes us a very switched on nation in my estimation.

I pity you. Leaving the best country in the world so you can get a few bucks off a computer. How sad.
- iPhone 3GS

Oink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2002, 12:52 PM

Oink, you must have lived the wrong side of the black stump when you were living in Australia!

Australia has the highest per capita usage of the Internet in the world and the same goes for mobile phone usage!!! That makes us a very switched on nation in my estimation.

I pity you. Leaving the best country in the world so you can get a few bucks off a computer. How sad.
Seriously, there were other reasons why I left.... but currently it is one of the main reasons I cannot convince myself to return.

Highest per capita usage of the internet in the world? Sure. One thing you notice after living in several countries is that almost every country claims that, just like every design studio is an award winning studio, every city, the most livable city in the world.

Pity me? Thank you. But narrow minded people are every where, you are not unique. I don't even pity you, I just smile..

iAntipodean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2002, 08:15 PM

<STRONG>if you buy from the online Apple Store in the US, you still pay additional state tax, which ranges from 0 to 9% i think (depending on which state you reside in). while the Australian Apple Store already includes the GST in the price. </STRONG>
Molala makes a good point and tax makes this an interesting debate (and if I think tax is interesting then it must be getting late :-| Asimuth makes a good case a few posts up for Apple Australia extending the inequity though.

But wait fellow antipodeans - just be glad you aren't buying in Europe! Ignoring a cost of living weighting for the moment the shelf price of an entry level new iMac in Germany is EUR1,855 or USD1,650 (that's AUD180 more folks!). In France it's nearly EUR60 more again. For our fellow Republicans in the UK the price weighs in at GBP1,149 when you include VAT (AUD200 more)

Feel free to correct the math but the inequity unfortunately remains

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: iAntipodean ]

michaelb  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2002, 09:06 PM

<STRONG>
&gt; I pity you. Leaving the best country in the world so you can get a
&gt; few bucks off a computer. How sad.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously, there were other reasons why I left.... but currently it is one of the main reasons I cannot convince myself to return.</STRONG>
Actually, now is a truly EXCELLENT time to come to Australia.

If you have money from a country such as the US or Britain, then converting your money at current exchange rates you could live like a king!

Sure, you may be paying 400 bucks more than you should for an iMac, but that's AUSSIE bucks - only about 200 greenbacks (or just bring one with you). And think of the money you'll save by not having to tip cab drivers!

Seriously, if you're making money overseas, you can end up a very rich person in Australia. Hell, half the people I went to school with are working in London or New York as accountants or web designers ... getting paid in the local currency ... transferring some of it back here each time the dollar dips ... buying up expensive real estate ... intending to retire at 35.

Infrequent purchases like imported electronics notwithstanding, Australia is a VERY cheap country to visit or live.

kstevens
Jan 12, 2002, 09:20 PM

yeah!! and what about them aussie women!!!

Ken

Oink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2002, 09:55 PM

If you have money from a country such as the US or Britain, then converting your money at current exchange rates you could live like a king!
Believe me, if I can make my money elsewhere while I spend it in Australia, I would. in a instance. I was in fact there for 3 months just when your $ dipped. Had a wonderful time but I didn't catch a cab, didn't spend all that much money, so the exchange rate thing wasn't making me giggling through the nights, scaring the possums off the roof.

Prices of mac can get ridiculous though. Somebody in a mac store quoted me AUS$1000 for a modest LaCie cd writer. Of course I would have to wait while it was being ordered from the States. This is not doing any good to making computers a part of day to day life. There is a certain lack of competition amongst retailers.

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: Oink ]

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2002, 04:22 AM

Consumer benefits are one of the best things about the U.S. and it really is quite unique to them. 30-day guarrantees and returns, discounts and rebates on computer equipment, numerous competing mail-order and internet stores, and cheap and efficient shipping nationwide, even credit cards with 5% discounts and no annual fees. I don't see it happening anywhere else and not in Australia anytime soon. That said, I'm still happy I moved to Australia. The cost of living is lower, the pollution is less, the lifestyle is more relaxed, the cities are safer, NextByte is within walking distance of downtown Adelaide, and the football players wear short shorts . There's always a trade-off living in any country. I only wish someone told me about the bayonet cap standard for light bulbs sooner. Very few things make you feel so helpless you want to fly home as almost falling off a barstool in an unlit living room because of a lightbulb that will just not turn!

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2002, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by Heman:
<STRONG>New iMacs in Oz cost au$500-$700 more than those in apple store Hong Kong.

Hehe, I've just ordered a 800Mhz one and a friend of mine will bring it here. </STRONG>
Actually, as we in HK never have to pay sales tax (knock on wood), and the general markup for apple products is about HK$100 (~US$14) or so, Hong Kong is one of the cheapest places in the world to buy stuff. Lucky me.

Plus anything that's compatible with PCs, like firewire enclosures, etc., is MUCH cheaper here. The only exception is RAM.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

SunSeeker
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2002, 05:07 AM

I only wish someone told me about the bayonet cap standard for light bulbs sooner. Very few things make you feel so helpless you want to fly home as almost falling off a barstool in an unlit living room because of a lightbulb that will just not turn!
LOL

I moved from England to Germany for 3 years before coming to Adelaide.

You wont believe the relief, when I found I could once again buy bayonet bulbs to fit our UK Table Lamps.

I think the extra imac cost is a small one compared to all the benefits of living here, remember - second hand values will likely be higher so you will generally only lose out once.

I think the consumer laws in the UK are probably among the best in the world, you wouldn't believe the refunds I have obtained and I am pretty sure that you can't buy anything new with less than a 12 month Warranty.
Plus 100% free banking (if you stay in credit) and what about a credit card that pays you back 1% of everything you spend

talisker
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2002, 12:18 PM

While we're on the subject of Antipodean Mac stuff, does anyone have any info on how New Zealand compares in terms of pricing / availability / attitudes to Macs / computers etc? I'm moving from the UK to NZ in a couple of months, and will be using some of my valuable foreign currency on a Mac later in the year. I notice there's no New Zealand store on Apple's website for instance. This isnt carte blanche for you Aussies to hurl abuse at your neighbours (by a few thousand miles - like my neighbours are in Moscow!)

iAntipodean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2002, 07:25 PM

Apparently they do have computers in New Zealand (sorry, couldn't resist it ) with Macs being distributed by an authorised reseller - Renaissance LTD. Given there's only one reseller choice will be even more limited than in Oz.
http://www.apple.co.nz

But why by a single machine when for a few UK Pounds you could buy the whole company? (sorry again, I'll stop now )

Originally posted by talisker:
<STRONG>While we're on the subject of Antipodean Mac stuff, does anyone have any info on how New Zealand compares in terms of pricing / availability / attitudes to Macs / computers etc? I'm moving from the UK to NZ in a couple of months, and will be using some of my valuable foreign currency on a Mac later in the year. I notice there's no New Zealand store on Apple's website for instance. This isnt carte blanche for you Aussies to hurl abuse at your neighbours (by a few thousand miles - like my neighbours are in Moscow!) </STRONG>

stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2002, 08:33 PM

iMac G4 800 in Europe (NL): �2616 eq. US$2318
(price all-in)

fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2002, 02:40 AM

Tyche Digital (AppleCentre's Broadway, Sydney CBD and Neutral Bay) are currently offering the new iMacs for AUS$2870, $3270 and $3925 as an 'early bird special' which is valid until the 21st of this month.

Not a bad deal, but still doesn't compensate for the exorbitant prices set by Apple Australia.

cheers,

davester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2002, 03:03 AM

Remember, if you are friends with someone who studies at uni, or if you study yourself, buying a new SuperDrive iMac will cost you $AU3859 and come with a *3 YEAR WARRANTY*!!! It's the deal of the century, baby.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: davester ]

Telomar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2002, 07:27 AM

Apple Australia hideously overcharges. I have been considering buying an iMac overseas for my mother (as a gift) then shipping it back. Don't really want to have to have her deal with any possible hassles that arise though.

Originally posted by Asimuth:
<STRONG> Apple Australia buys at wholesale price from Singapore (including a volume discount because AA is one of the larger markets outside the US). </STRONG>
Actually last I heard Apple was selling very badly in Australia (around 2 - 3% market share).

<STRONG>One of the reason I left Australia was that computers related stuff, especially books, are way overpriced.

It is a shame, lovely country, unbeatable weather, bluest ski....</STRONG>
Yeah my reasons were much the same (ok so there was a woman involved too ). Australia is a lovely country to visit but various issues can make it a lousy place to live (maybe when I retire I'll go back and stay). Too small a market for many products too.

<STRONG> Australia has the highest per capita usage of the Internet in the world and the same goes for mobile phone usage!!! That makes us a very switched on nation in my estimation. </STRONG>
Actually we don't have the highest per capita usage in either of those areas. For mobile phones I believe we come in 3rd behind Sweden and Japan (I think that's the right countries but may not be and I can't be bothered seeking out the link right now. We come in 3rd however) and our internet adoption tends to hover around 10th or below (for broadband we are among the worst in the world).

Unlike the mobile phone market though the internet market is actually going backwards and losing ground to other countries. Too many Australian's have very little idea about the true benefits the internet or computers, that includes the corporate world as well.

For a country that adopts technology as well as Australia I have no idea what has gone wrong there.

I sound awfully harsh of Australia there but don't take it the wrong way. It is always the country I am ultimately from and there are a great many things I love about it but Australia has some serious faults that still bug me.

Big Fat Octopus
Jan 15, 2002, 08:36 AM

When it comes to technology, Australia lacks a lot of the bells and whistles that our Northern Hemishere counterparts enjoy for several reasons.

1. Population 20 million: We simply do not have the population to support the diversity of services, such as broadband internet, that other countries enjoy. This also relates to the higher prices we pay for imported items, like iMac's . We just do not buy enough of some things to make importing them cost effective.

2. Lack of competition: Telstra still maintains a monopoly (even though they'll tell you otherwise) on Australias telecommunications.
Regional areas suffer from lack of services the most. I still use bog stardard phone dial-up for Internet access and I work for an ISP. Fact is there is nothing else available aside from expensive Satellite. Broadband Internet has not been widely adopted due to lack of services and rates charged where they are available.

Now while frustrating at times (and obviously enough so for Oink to leave our golden shores) these inconveniences, especially lack of broadband access, will in time be overcome. One thing remains certain though, with or without broadband access, I still live in the best country in the World
- iPhone 3GS

Telomar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2002, 06:41 AM

<STRONG>When it comes to technology, Australia lacks a lot of the bells and whistles that our Northern Hemishere counterparts enjoy for several reasons.

1. Population 20 million: We simply do not have the population to support the diversity of services, such as broadband internet, that other countries enjoy. This also relates to the higher prices we pay for imported items, like iMac's . We just do not buy enough of some things to make importing them cost effective. </STRONG>
In the case of broadband Australia's population isn't so much the problem. The problem is a number of factors. The largest of those would be a lack of competition and overcharging at the wholesale end by Telstra.

<STRONG>2. Lack of competition: Telstra still maintains a monopoly (even though they'll tell you otherwise) on Australias telecommunications.</STRONG>
Don't get me started on Telstra. The fact that an Australian government owned company is legally being allowed to continue business practices that are so clearly exploiting a monopoly position is sickening.

The same thing occurs in other areas around the world but Telstra is among the worst I have ever seen. The only reason the Government won't step in yet is to protect share prices.

Whether or not Australia's technological and technical deficiencies will be overcome isn't so much the issue. It is a question of whether it will be too little too late. There is a great deal that needs fixing in a great number of areas in Australia. This isn't the forum though.

tegdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2002, 04:13 AM

Your right, its about population. Catering to 17 million Australians comes after catering 290 million Americans, the other way would be impractical business.

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2002, 05:26 PM

Fortunately some of us (eg me) are eligble for apple education discounts.

I get the entry level imac for $2814.90 which is pretty good.

Look i agree that apple machines should be cheaper here but the pricing issues seem to be across the board with computer goods.

Eg the ps2 was released in the US for $299 but was $749 here (maybe that should be $349/799 i cant remember). I got mine for $709 and you can now get em for as little as $399 oh well hehe!

I feel strongly about the broadband issue though. I was a telstra adsl subscriber and recently cancelled when they introduced the new aup. Sorry, but $89 a month for 512/128 with a 3gb limit is embaressing. I now use a very efficient dial up provider at $24.95 a month and get unlimited downloads and hours, no busy signals, no disconnections and around 6-7kb/s download speed and pings as good as 120 and averaging around 150. Awesome for dial up.

Telstra need a damn good kick in the head.

If you are considering adsl in australia at the moment, why not try netspace. You can get 3gb a month for as little as $59.95 and 10gb a month for $99.95.

Anyway, wouldntyou just love a new imac? They are awesome...
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2002, 04:15 AM

what dialup are you using? right now, i'm on the Telstra essential plan $24.95 but 300MB download limit. never had to worry about download limits before, i'm not even sure how many MB's i download/upload a month. so i'm looking for alternatives. thanks.
===
I feel strongly about the broadband issue though. I was a telstra adsl subscriber and recently cancelled when they introduced the new aup. Sorry, but $89 a month for 512/128 with a 3gb limit is embaressing. I now use a very efficient dial up provider at $24.95 a month and get unlimited downloads and hours, no busy signals, no disconnections and around 6-7kb/s download speed and pings as good as 120 and averaging around 150. Awesome for dial up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules