Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PBG4 Battery usage while sleeping

PBG4 Battery usage while sleeping
adamberti
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2006, 02:48 PM

The battery on my PowerBook G4 (1.5 GHz) battery has kind of kicked the bucket - it's max charge is 1254 mAh. This equates to not much time at all. I think a brand new one is about 4400 mAh. My computer doesn't last very long when sleeping, so I was wondering if maybe something happened and my computer is chowing down the battery while sleeping, or if my frame of reference is off because the battery has such low capacity. It seems like sometimes I use the computer for a bit, put it away in my bag and pull it out a few hours later to a dead battery.

The computer is about 18 months old, and coconut battery reports the number of cycles at 197 - but my battery has been pretty terrible for the last 6 months - it just hadn't bothered me enough to do something about it. But now I got my new battery from the Apple replacement program, and I don't want to start using it and toast it if something is wrong with the computer (because we know how picky AppleCare is with batteries).

Does anyone know how much power a powerbook should use while sleeping? I calculated mine out to have used 309 mAh over a 9.5 hour period, or about 33 per hour. That was only one test however. I'm also wondering how accurate Coconut Battery is... is thinks my charger is not connected and not charging, but it is.

pcummins
Oct 8, 2006, 10:39 PM

My battery on a 15" Alu during sleep was using about 10% over quite a period of time (overnight, during the day) - I'd say your estimate of 33 mA per hour is about right, it seems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules