Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Soon to join TiBook faithful!!

Soon to join TiBook faithful!!
lehman
Jun 19, 2001, 09:30 AM

After literally weeks of going back and forth between the new Combo iBook and a TiBook, yesterday (6/18/01) I made up my mind for 15 minutes and ordered a TiBook.

While a lot of people have rolled their eyes at the new promotion, it helped to seal the deal for me.

My TiBook 500/128MB/20gig is already being assembled. Im sure the Apple Store is starting to get tired of me checking the status every 5 minutes!

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2001, 10:22 AM

Welcome to the TiBook Family!!!
dave

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2001, 10:32 AM

Let me be the second one to congratulate you on your purchase. I recommend the first thing you do should be to get a wireless mouse,
but not just any wireless. Logitech makes one that you can right click
on an icon or file and get options just like Microsoft Windows, without programming. It is color coordinated with the TiBook and works great.
I purchased a 400 Mhz Powerbook G4 but liked it so much I upgraded to a 500 Mhz model before the 14 day grace period ran out at CompUSA. Both Powerbooks ran perfectly by the way. Be sure to upgrade to QuickTime 5.0 and know that you can increase the quality of your captured video files; the QuickTime player default is on a low setting. Remember; half the fun is the anticipation of receiving your Powerbook!

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: buddy1065 ]

<jksu>
Jun 19, 2001, 01:19 PM

congrats! i couldn't make up my mind as well for a while, but bit the bullet and got a g4/400/128/10 2 weeks ago.

only regret was missing the vst promo, but i love the powerbook! fast, beautiful screen. would've liked a 20gig....apple included quite a bit of software on the drive, including os x and tons of mp3s (including harry potter, good if you have kids i guess).

order up a mouse definitely...i'm using my $15 from ebay ms usb intellimouse (not explorer, not optical). i'd like to get a apple pro mouse to match the tibook... or a logitech cordless.

also get a sleeve case to carry the pbg4. got my from sfbags and like it. but there's also ones from timbuk2 (see other thread).

john

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2001, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by &lt;jksu&gt;:
<STRONG>congrats! i couldn't make up my mind as well for a while, but bit the bullet and got a g4/400/128/10 2 weeks ago.

only regret was missing the vst promo, but i love the powerbook!
john</STRONG>
Hi John,
Welcome to you, as well!! Where did you get your powerbook from? Many places have a 30 MBG... which means you could return it (basically have them ring it as a return), and then have them rebill you... and you would qualify for the promotion.... i have a friend who did that here in Boston the other day....
good luck...
dave

lehman  (op)
Jun 19, 2001, 08:05 PM

Since I already own a Pro Keyboard and mouse the only other goodies Im looking to get now are a Kensington lock, a leather keyboard cover to protect the screen, and a 256 MB RAM stick.

Eventually I would also like to get a extra battery and a 512 MB RAM stick.

Since the iBook was released back in May I have literally "made up my mind" about 3 times a day about what laptop I would get. Now that I have actually ordered, I am certain I made the right choice.

As of today (6/19) it is still being assembled. (Ordered on 6/18)

I know I am having it alot easier than all of you who ordered right after MWSF. I'll stop complaining.

For all of those who are wondering the primary functions of this new beast:
I am a 2nd year Industrial Design student at Rochester Institute of Technology. Along with the usual Photoshop and Illustrator, I'll be running this with some 3D modeling software and possibly FCP.

It will be good to use a computer I can call my own again after selling my old one (iMacDVSE 400MHz, 13gig, 640MB RAM). Luckily my dad has a Cube so I can still feel safe from the Wintel menace. (His new Dell laptop is going to be a runt next to TiBook)

Circa
Senior User
Jun 19, 2001, 08:56 PM

Congrads doesn't it feel great! I honestly think that part of the fun is just waiting, the suspense gets bigger ever day and then finally it happens you have the powerbook in your hands. You will be in complete awe!

I am debating as well, really its a hard choice...
Circa

Arcayx
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2001, 09:09 PM

Well I just go my Ti 500/256/20 yesterday and now I'm sitting on my couch surfing the Internet with no wires at all. Its like I'm in on some kind of cool revolution. Anyways.... good luck with your new machine!
(just as a side note, this thing is cosmetically perfect. Not even one dead pixel)
-Cogito, Ergo, Sum

lehman  (op)
Jun 20, 2001, 08:32 AM

It shipped!! It's in Taiwan right now. The pacing begins....

<jksu>
Jun 20, 2001, 04:03 PM

hi, thanks for the welcome.

wow the return is a great idea. but i got mine from apple.com. do they have 30 day money back guarantee?

oh well, i'm happy...actually got mine at a good deal (25% off) so i'm satisfied. the university discount here is 19% if that's a possiblity for some folks out there....

the promo's worth maybe $100 or as much as i could sell the vst for... even less considering they might not show up for 2 months!

who will want a 4x when 16-20x burners are out now for under $300?
still it's free for some lucky/late-adopter folks...

john

Originally posted by ddiokno:
<STRONG>

Hi John,
Welcome to you, as well!! Where did you get your powerbook from? Many places have a 30 MBG... which means you could return it (basically have them ring it as a return), and then have them rebill you... and you would qualify for the promotion.... i have a friend who did that here in Boston the other day....
good luck...
dave</STRONG>

lehman  (op)
Jun 20, 2001, 10:12 PM

Apple chose the VST for 3 reasons:
1) Is bus powered.
2) Is super thin.
3) Looks good next to the TiBook

Circa
Senior User
Jun 21, 2001, 01:02 AM

Hey its free, who is to complain about speed.
Circa

lehman  (op)
Jun 23, 2001, 09:05 AM

The TiBook just made it to my town (Rochester) this morning! Of course it has to be Saturday and they won't deliver it. I hope they let me go down there and get it.

The suspense is unbearable, I hope it lasts.

lehman  (op)
Jun 26, 2001, 11:07 PM

I just received the TiBook on Monday (6/26).

Some notes:
The Power Adapter that is new to the iBook is the one that comes with the TiBook. I was kind of upset at first with this but talking to an Apple Rep I found that there is actually a tiny plastic ring that is on the poer cord to keep it locked into the power puck.

It came loaded with 9.1 and 10.0.3.

The button that keeps the LCD latched came broken so already I have to send it back to get repaired. Bummer.

Other than that I am really impressed with this machine.

Ekim Neems
Jun 27, 2001, 09:17 AM

I'm also joining the TiBook family as well.

I got myself a 400/128/10 barely used for $1699. I'm going to immediately upgrade to 384 or 640mb of RAM, and if it's possible, upgrade the harddrive a bit later.

I really wanted the 500, but I think I'm gonna stick with the 400 and just buy a cheap desktop PC for kicks/variety.

<mathew>
Jun 27, 2001, 10:31 AM

Where did you find the barely used $1699 tibook?!

Anybody want to speculate on just how big a price drop we'll see on the low end model once the new one is announced. Even though I think once you throw in the vst cdrw drive ($200) and any one of the bundles (VPC 4.0 $190 & $50 carry case from Macconnection) you're getting closer in value to the ibook ($500 is not that much more considering the bigger screen and g4 and in my opinion worth it), the bottom line is that the ibook is just as fast if not faster than the ti400 for most tasks.

After July 17th my decision will probably be even more difficult.

YoungTurk
Jun 27, 2001, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by &lt;mathew&gt;:
<STRONG> the bottom line is that the ibook is just as fast if not faster than the ti400 for most tasks.

</STRONG>
Don't agree at all - see my Titanium to iBook to Titanium post.
PB G4 12" 1.33 ghtz 1.25 RAM/80 HD/AE/SuperDrive, FP iMac 800 (Superdrive), Silver iPod Mini, iBook 600 Combo, PMac G4 733 (Superdrive), Snow iMac 600

Ekim Neems
Jun 28, 2001, 06:57 PM

The bottom line is that:

66mhz bus and 4500 RPM hard drive = not fast.

Thank you.

<mathew>
Jun 28, 2001, 08:18 PM

http://www.barefeats.com/pb05.html

With very little experience with either unit, I was basing my thoughts on what I've read. I also pointed out that the price difference between the ibook 500 combo unit ($1799) to the Ti400 ($2429 - $2599 which now includes the ext. cdrw drive) wasn't that big.

That's my bottom line.

<Tester>
Jun 28, 2001, 09:54 PM

test

<Tester>
Jun 28, 2001, 09:59 PM

test

Oink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2001, 10:14 PM

May I suggest a Kensington Flylight, for those nights sitting in front of the TV in the dark while surfing via airport. Also a coolpad, it actually does make it cooler. A Tibook is definitely not a laptop, it is like an inverted stove. Welcome

Ekim Neems
Jun 29, 2001, 08:03 PM

Show me those same tests with OS X and I *might* still believe the iBook comes close to the G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules