Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > FISHPC: another iMac Rip-off!

FISHPC: another iMac Rip-off!
antdesign
Apr 23, 2000, 07:36 PM

Gather all iMac fans,
have a look yourself the uncannily iMac look-alike PC http://www.fishpc.com.au

perhaps we can do something about it, like everyone of us send an e-mail to their manager asking them to stop selling those rip-offs(im sure there are more polite ways of phrasing their "rip-offs").

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2000, 07:39 PM

Anthony the PC lover
Senior User
Apr 24, 2000, 03:21 PM

Where have you been? Under a rock?

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2000, 05:32 PM

It isn't an iMac rip off. It doesn't look anything like an iMac.

The monitor, however, looks about the same as an Apple Studio Display.

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2000, 06:05 PM

It's times like these that we need to go to a young white rapper named Eminem for wisdom. In his latest song "The Real Slim Shadey" he states:
"and there is a million of us just like me, who cuss like me, who just don't give a 'freak' like me, who dress like me, who walk, talk, and act like me, it just might be the next best thing, but not quite me... I'm Slim Shady..."

Simply put... No matter how close other company�s come to copying the iMac, it will never be as cool as an iMac.
Later
ps - Adam is right. It looks nothing like the iMac... It's way to ugly.

[This message has been edited by blizaine (edited 04-24-2000).]

penginkun
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2000, 06:06 AM

OK, you know, it doesn't look a damned thing like an iMac. Just because it has translucent plastics...sheesh...

I mean, I've seen TV sets made with translucent plastics. Will AAPL be suing them as well?

The really funny thing to me is that when the iMac came out all the Windopes users were blathering on about how stupid the plastics looked. Now you can't swing a cat (not that you'd want to do that) without hitting something translucent.

disectamac
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2000, 10:27 AM

First of all, in all honesty, you probably could swing a cat and not hit something translucent. Although it may require some practice.

Second, it may not look the iMac as much as the eOne per say, but it is in Apple's best interests to keep these wanna be companies away from Apple's hard earned market share. If one gets away with it...they soon all will.

If it's important enouph to phishPC
that they would immitate it for profit then it's definetly important that Apple have it
patented, copyrighted it and in the works of a law suit.

pismo
Apr 25, 2000, 12:46 PM

I'd have to agree, apple has to protect it's interests. It's true that the computer itself looks nothing like the imac, but the monitor w/o the computer looks vary similar to it and some numb-nuts out there who is buying thier first computer will look at it and think,"Hey, it looks cool like an imac . . .I'll take it."

Simon Kornblith
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2000, 04:44 PM

And it's smaller than a 30cm ruler! Hmm... I didn't think that it was really that thin!

Ca$h68
Banned
Apr 25, 2000, 04:53 PM

I dont understand how something thats a blatent ripoff is considered revolutionary or changing the rules. Hrm.

Ca$h

lehman
Apr 26, 2000, 01:35 PM

Who cares? I guarentee that if you made an iMax beige and a FishPC beige, the iMac would be the far sexier machine. It's not about pretty plastic. It's about sound design.

Forum Links
Forum Rules