Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > cd buzzzz...

cd buzzzz...
andi*pandi
Jun 21, 2000, 04:09 PM

Ok, I know this is kind of an old imac question, but I have kind of an old imac. Rev. b. w/64 megs ram.

The CD drive has buzzed since I got it, to varying degrees with varying CD's. (The worst offender is my Tomb Raider II CD, but usually if I eject, put it back a few times I can get it to work with only a little hum.) I've read the technotes that said it's to do with artwork on CD's, and I've also read that it's got something to do with how my case was taken apart to put memory in, and not put back together well. I haven't dared take it apart myself, thinking I'd only make it worse.

I'd installed CD Firmware Updater 1.0, which worked for a while, then the problem seemed to get worse--it took 4 or 5 tries of the Tomb Raider CD to get it to take without sounding like a swarm of bees. I was on the brink of bringing it in for service when I discovered CD Firmware update 2.0, which I installed. It also seemed to work for a little while... but now it's getting worse again. I'm no longer under warrantee now, of course.

I just wanna play Tomb Raider in peace! argh.

Anybody have any ideas? besides a new external drive? >

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2000, 04:23 PM

I've read that if one installs more RAM that when you put the iMac back together that if CD-ROM bay does not "seat well" you can get some extra noise from the drive. You may want to take a stab at reseating the motherboard to see if that gets the drive in better?

I also read of people slipping paper and what not to dampen the virbrations and keep the noise down. Worth a try.

P
Jun 27, 2000, 10:24 AM

Bad CDs vibrate more or less - this (often) what causes the hum. Depending on if you manage to center the cd correctly in the tray, it will hum more mor less. The comment above about reassembling the iMac is also relevant.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi  (op)
Jun 27, 2000, 10:34 AM

ok, well now that it's no longer under warrantee, maybe I can be adventurous. Can anyone give me pointers on how to best open the case to reseat the cd drive?

P, the cd is centered on the tray, it has no choice, it snaps in. When I have this problem, I do eject, take out the cd, put it back in, and press gently to make sure it's fully snapped. Pressing against the closed door will reduce the noise.

Rave
Jun 28, 2000, 12:36 PM

There was an update to help alleviate this problem. Are you up to date on all your updates?
http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11129

If you didn't all ready have this, you can find it there. GL

Peace

andi*pandi  (op)
Jun 28, 2000, 12:55 PM

yep, as I said in the first post, I have installed both CD Firmware updates.

thanks anyway!

s club evan
Jun 28, 2000, 11:20 PM

the humm is probably caused by uncentred, not totally round CD's, not the fault of the drive but the CD itself!!!!!!!

Ca$h68
Banned
Jun 29, 2000, 12:59 AM

I think the firmware updates suck. I installed them on my imac (rev D) and yeah, the humming DID go away. But I think the reason it did was because my CD rom was spinning at HALF the speed it used to. It seriously took FOREVER for CDs to load, and I got crappy transfer rates too. I hate firmware updates. NEVER AGAIN.

Needless to say, I UNinstalled them. CD ROM is fast again.... I can live with the buzz...

Ca$h

PS: See, if yer a mac pirate like me, all your burned CDs dont have artwork...hence.. less humming.

Course, hummers arent all THAT bad. HAHAH!

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2000, 01:41 AM

I checked out speed before and after the update with a subjective test. I loaded a huge image from a PhotoCD. I couldn't tell the difference pre and post update.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2000, 04:30 AM

Ca$h, I agree that the CD Firmware updates are evil in the performance idea.

But, I ask you one thing: please don't make it obvious that you're a pirate, because it's not doing wonders for your reputation. I know a few zealous software crusaders that will give you a very hard time. Just a tip.

Also, MacNN absolutely does not reccomend anything that might break your computer, or render your computer inoperable. Remember that modifying your Mac is your and only your choice, and that we cannot be liable for any damages that might occur.

Ca$h68
Banned
Jun 29, 2000, 08:07 PM

Sorry bout the pirate thing... but.. come on. I'm in college, and I make like 250 bucks a week. I have to LIVE on that. Im certainly not going to spend over 2 weeks salary on photoshop when I can get it for nothing, nor would I spend 2 weeks salary on Flash 4. If these companies made "consumer" versions for like 4-60 bucks, I'd consider it.

Ca$h

terrel
Jul 2, 2000, 02:56 PM

Would it be possible to make a disk image of a cd that you use a lot? One could write an apple script to access the cd image and then start the game. This is not a solution for all cds, as it would fill your hard drive, but it may work for your favorites, that have the buzz.

andi*pandi  (op)
Jul 5, 2000, 02:13 PM

making a disk image sounds like a good idea terrel... at least for Tomb Raider, which I use a lot, and is the worst.

any idea how to do that?

I am a graphic designer, not a code warrior, unfortunately... my knowledge of scripting is limited to Photoshop's Actions palette.

ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2000, 05:49 PM

Val again here to whine about Techworks and their decision to discontinue the Internal CD-R drive. It sure sounds to me like it would be a solution to andi*pandi's problem (although a $300.00 one) and it would enable him/her to also burn CD's. So everybody, let Techworks know if you want them to bring back that drive, or let Apple know that you want a better fix! P.S.: My drive buzzes sometimes too.

Whiny Val

gMan
Jul 6, 2000, 07:20 AM

My CD-ROM drive buzzes quite loudly also, but only with certain CDs.
By the way, why does the drive seem to make the decision to not spin certain CDs more than what sounds like around 2x speed, even when they are not scratched?? In fact, I have a super-scratched CD and not only does it rev up to full speed, it is one that causes buzzing.

Meanwhile, to make a CD image you can use the "Disk Copy" program, which you'll find on your Mac OS CD. Just select "Make image from disk" from the "Image" menu.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2000, 03:34 PM

Ca$h - I sure hope you understand when some poor punk with no money borrows your car - if you have one. Maybe your Mac will be borrowed by some poor unfortunate soul? Get the picture? You're a criminal, no matter how hard you try to justify your actions...

Scott

[This message has been edited by slboett (edited 07-06-2000).]

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2000, 07:28 PM

Pirate smirate, the only two of my programs that I have that were actually bought are Ray-Dream 3D, and SoundJam. All the others (Photoshop, Illustartor, Director, Form-Z, etc..) were "donated" from G3's from my sister's university computer lab. I am guessing you wouldn't be offended if i told you that i download Metallica off Macster, right? Ca$h, you are my kind of dude, POWER TO THE POOR PIRATES!!....and another thing, when someone "steals" a program, the original is still there, unlike car and/or computer theft.................wait a minute, CD buzz! duh! just stick a folded peice of paper in the gap between the cd tray and case when it buzzes..its low cost and it won't void your waranty

------------------
--->
--->[email protected]
--->

[This message has been edited by sek929 (edited 07-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by sek929 (edited 07-06-2000).]

terrel
Jul 8, 2000, 02:38 AM

andi*pandi making a disk image can be done by using the program disk copy on one of the cdroms that came with your imac. you do not have to write a script to start the program, that is just an extra. the program disk copy will make the cdrom into a file stored on your hard drive. all you need to do is open this file (s disk image is created) and your computer will think it is the cdrom.

Forum Links
Forum Rules