Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple reports double-digit gains in Q1

Apple reports double-digit gains in Q1
Thorzdad
Jan 28, 2021, 06:03 AM

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2021, 07:55 PM

That’s what happens when you actually update your product lines.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Jan 31, 2021, 11:58 AM

I'm pretty bored with apple the past few years. I'm not wowed by any of it. The pro is still way too much $, and there still isn't a decent replacement for the cMP. The laptops and phones are just incrementally better specs; nothing really ground breaking.

Meh.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2021, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNFamous View Post
I'm pretty bored with apple the past few years. I'm not wowed by any of it. The pro is still way too much $, and there still isn't a decent replacement for the cMP. The laptops and phones are just incrementally better specs; nothing really ground breaking.

Meh.
Sounds like somebody missed the whole "Apple Silicon" thing, eh.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Feb 1, 2021, 10:59 AM

Isn't that a few years out for pro machines?

Demonhood
Administrator
Feb 1, 2021, 12:03 PM

They'll likely upgrade every Mac this year except for the Mac Pro. And rumor has it (once again) that there is a mini Pro situated between the Mac mini and Mac Pro coming out.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 1, 2021, 12:35 PM

And the new Silicon Mini crushes even a fully decked out cMP in both single and multi-core scores. The only limitation of the current Mini is if you're regularly working with mutli-gigabyte files that fill up your RAM, and even then silicon makes better use of RAM than traditional systems do. I pick mine up today, the huge, heavy, loud, hot cMP that dims the lights every time it wakes up goes to the basement. It's going to be very boring.

I actually found a local shop that specializes in Mac and is an Apple authorized reseller. In an effort to support local businesses, we're buying there instead of paying ~$40 less on Amazon. The hilarious part is they actually have one in stock that I can get today, where if I ordered through Amazon they're backordered for a couple weeks at least.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2021, 12:44 PM

When a $699 Mac Mini can run rings around a $5,000 iMac Pro in most ways, does it really matter that much when the "pro" machines are coming out?

If that's not exciting then nothing ever will be. I'm struggling to come up with any other single leap in Mac computing that is bigger... I don't know... This might be the single biggest jump since the Mac was introduced in 1984.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Feb 1, 2021, 01:00 PM

It can in SOME ways, but from what I've been reading the cMP still wins for all the ways you can customize it. If they would shove an M1 into a cMP case and offer PCI slots I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...p-5-1.2267297/

Also, I used to have a Mac pro 2.1, and yeah, that thing was loud and basically a space heater.

My 5.1 hex is silent and efficient by comparison.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 1, 2021, 04:35 PM

Maybe having a full 12 cores makes a difference, maybe it's my graphics card, but the thing winds up like a jet engine when the games get going. And absolutely nothing about the power consumption of that cMP is efficient. 150+W at idle and 250+W at max? The Mini does 7W at idle and 39W max, and the Mini is faster.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Feb 1, 2021, 04:46 PM

Yeah, but no expandable ram, no bootcamp for windows, and questionable eGPU support.

If I could literally replace my machine with one, I would consider it more, but it literally can't do bootcamp, correct?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2021, 05:42 PM

Isn't that a few years out for pro machines?
When the entry-level MacBook Air is equivalent to or faster than the fastest Intel MacBook Pro on the market, it might be worth reconsidering what „pro machine“ means.

eGPU is irrelevant for large swathes of the pro market.

Few ports, no eGPU, 16 GB maximum, sure. But if you’re after raw horsepower, these machines already meet the criteria — at a small fraction of the power consumption, and a fraction of the cost.

They beat the hell out of my late ’16 15“ MBP for my purposes.

I suppose it’s fair to be skeptical as long as your personal criteria aren’t being met, but everything about the Apple Silicon transition qualifies as „wow“ by virtually all industry standards.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2021, 06:14 PM

There will never again be affordable and expandable Macs. It's never happening.

I don't like it either, but it is what it is. Endless kvetching about it at this point is simply screaming into the void. If that doesn't work for you (and that's 100% understandable) than the Mac platform will probably isn't the one for you moving forward.

I got a new 16" MacBook Pro from my work at almost the exact same time I got myself an M1 MacBook Air...

It's ridiculous how much smoother and better the overall experience is on the M1 which costs literally half as much.

The 16" gets hotter in the first 20 seconds then the M1 ever gets, uh, ever. I would say it pretty much doesn't even change temperature. I've only ever felt it feel ever so slightly maybe warm... and this is using it for hours on a couch and/or bed and stuff like that... and it lasts like a 2 straight days without needed a charge.

I'm not really pushing the processor, but everything feels so responsive and immediate.

It's pretty crazy. It will be interesting to see what they do with the pro machines and also what they do down the road with hardware actually built with these processors in mind.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Feb 1, 2021, 06:45 PM

For web surfing or video editing?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2021, 07:15 PM

For web surfing or video editing?
Audio work is apparently just absurdly better. When a 600€ Mac mini with 8GB RAM beats out a 5000€ TubeMac, things are weird.

Video performance is apparently approximately on a level with an iMac Pro, with video conversion being WAY faster on the M1.

Web surfing...yeah. Silly fast, too.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2021, 09:39 AM

Pick my Mini up last night. The shop had a cool classic Mac setup, and the Mac Classic was running!

I only got as far as plugging it in and booting it up last night, no time to actually play with it. I'm trying to decide if I want to use Migration Assistant at all or just start fresh and copy my documents and files over by hand.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Feb 2, 2021, 03:15 PM

Start fresh, always.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Feb 2, 2021, 03:16 PM

Also gotta say the Lampshade G4 iMac was hte best form factor of all time. That super adjustable screen was just ****ing awesome; way better than the current form factor.

andi*pandi
Feb 2, 2021, 05:40 PM

Luxo Mac!

Forum Links
Forum Rules