Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So, Tropical Stormy Enough For You?

So, Tropical Stormy Enough For You?
ghporter
Administrator
Aug 27, 2017, 07:03 PM

Most of Texas has been anxiety-ridden because of Hurricane Harvey, and in most of the Gulf Coast areas, with good reason. Here in San Antonio, we've had less than two inches of rain since Friday, and some gusty wind.

On the other hand, San Antonio is essentially choice #1 for evacuating from Corpus Christi and many other areas along the coast. My neighborhood has more cars parked along the street than I've seen in a long time, and there are a lot of formal evacuation centers either here or nearby.

My rather far-flung family has been watching national news and asking how we're doing. We're doing just fine, thanks. My wife's family in the (northern and western) Houston area have had some problems with street flooding and such, but they're fine too.

I wanted to post this to make an observation: nobody took this as something of a drill. No hurricane parties, no folks riding it out in really endangered areas, none of that. You can find headlines about how "America still hasn't learned the lessons of Katrina," but I think that for the most part, we have. Architecturally, maybe we still have a long way to go, sure. But people took this storm seriously, from government officials to corporate headquarters to Joe Man-on-the-street. I think that's a big deal.

DO NOT turn this into a platform for argument about how things didn't go well in other storms. I'd like to hear from people about things that went well. Facebook's "I'm safe" checkin system, for example, seems to have worked quite well. How else have we done better as people and as a people in dealing with this particular crisis?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2017, 07:12 PM

My company has two wafer fabs in Austin. I have not seen any emails about the fate of them, nor did I see any regarding going to work or staying in place. Any idea numbers on inches of rain/flooding in Austin?
45/47

Ham Sandwich
Aug 27, 2017, 08:24 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:47 AM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2017, 08:54 PM

Seems to have thrown up a few unforeseen issues. Namely gators, snakes and balls of fire ants swimming or floating to places you wouldn't normally find them.

I haven't seen any reports of deaths yet. If that stays the same it would be fairly incredible wouldn't it?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2017, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
My company has two wafer fabs in Austin. I have not seen any emails about the fate of them, nor did I see any regarding going to work or staying in place. Any idea numbers on inches of rain/flooding in Austin?
It looks like 8" so far.
45/47

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Aug 27, 2017, 09:54 PM

Austin is pretty spread out; the official rainfall at Camp Mabry (which is what NWS brings up when you search for rainfall in Austin) is around 6 1/4", but Camp Mabry is kind of northwest Austin. The east side is likely to have quite a bit more rain. I wonder what part of town those wafer fans are?

Oh, and Shoal Creek appears to be flooding again. It's something that happens with surprising regularity. One time I heard this joke: "Shoal Creek can flood when more than three people spit at once." It's not quite that bad, but Shoal Creek is in a very key location to impact a lot of Austin.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2017, 03:05 AM

Glad to hear you and yours are alright!

I thought the mayor telling people they had to write the equivalent of "I'm the world's biggest idiot" on their arm if they wanted to stay was a stroke of genius.

andi*pandi
Aug 28, 2017, 09:59 AM

My brother's house is in san leon/galveston. He is safe and not there but his stuff is probably flooded.

When we visited galveston we marvelled at the houses with the historic signs showing the water levels from 1900. That record is probably beat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1900_Galveston_hurricane

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2017, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
My brother's house is in san leon/galveston. He is safe and not there but his stuff is probably flooded.

When we visited galveston we marvelled at the houses with the historic signs showing the water levels from 1900. That record is probably beat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1900_Galveston_hurricane
I saw this some time ago.
45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 28, 2017, 11:46 AM

I feel bad I forgot gh is in Texas

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 28, 2017, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I wanted to post this to make an observation: nobody took this as something of a drill. No hurricane parties, no folks riding it out in really endangered areas, none of that.
Like...not a single one?

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2017, 03:05 PM

… .
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Jan 5, 2024 at 01:25 AM. )

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2017, 08:01 PM

In the midst of disaster, hope.

45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 29, 2017, 10:28 AM

No hurricane parties, no folks riding it out in really endangered areas, none of that.
Like, no one?

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/weat...our-dogs-truck

andi*pandi
Aug 29, 2017, 10:41 AM

They were lucky. I did see video of someone wakeboarding in the water. not sure if being pulled by truck or boat.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2017, 11:35 PM

… .
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Jan 5, 2024 at 01:24 AM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2017, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
Im in Houston. It's a bigger disaster than what the media is probably letting on. I dont have TV service but I can imagine it's going full throttle with humanism worship about how heroic everyone is and how they're all coming together to help each other. Thats one side of it. There are in fact thousands of volunteers out rescuing people in their personal boats, kayaks, jet skis, etc.. Theres simply no way 911 can answer everything or get to people.

The 500 yr flood plane has flooded and then some. Most roads are underwater at some point so even if you're like the responsible chupacabra who didnt buy in a flood plane you're stranded on an island of some kind. The city is inaccessible to emergency vehicles unless they have a boat..
Holy crap, didn't realize you were there. Sending prayers and good wishes your way. You're in a similar situation as my brother, from what it sounds like. He's down in Sea Brook. While his house is dry, his neighborhood is completely inaccessible. They stocked up in advance, so they're good on food, but they're struggling to even find people in the area to help.

The other side is.... how unprepared and irresponsible the lower middle class continually proves itself to be. As someone who doesnt even have TV service I still had it burned into my brain there was a hurricane coming and made sure I had a weeks worth of food, water & a full tank of gas. Why? Because catastrophic flooding happens ~every year in Houston with the same results. Now just 1.5 days in, people are rushing fast food & grocery stores in mob like fashion, which of course are mostly closed. There are only a few open and cars are lined up the street in 2 hr lines. People are on FB whining about how stores are closed. People are banging on the doors of closed stores of which employees weren't able to get to work. They're calling corporate headquarters of stores demanding they be opened. One person on the neighborhood page is complaining the bank isn't open. A local church has opened its doors to 400 refugees who are now on fb with the nerve to say they want home cooked meals. Not just food or anything you can donate, but home cooked meals. While Im in ration mode eating apples & peanut butter, thinking "oh I could donate some fruit to them" the irresponsible class wants us to bring them lasagna, tacos and burritos! Just goes to show beggars can be choosers. For the stores that are open the junk food is flying off the shelves fastest, most stores are out of it by now. The vegetables section is almost untouched (as of a few hrs ago).
Holy cow. I guarantee many of them thought, "They always exaggerate the severity of the storms so that people play it safer than they need to." It happens every storm, and this theory still persists.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2017, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
In the midst of disaster, hope.

I dont wanna be that guy, but how in hell do you burn down three flooded houses in the middle of a hurricane?
( Last edited by Waragainstsleep; Aug 30, 2017 at 07:12 PM. )
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2017, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Holy cow. I guarantee many of them thought, "They always exaggerate the severity of the storms so that people play it safer than they need to." It happens every storm, and this theory still persists.
You don't hear the stories of the people that were advised to evacuate but didn't, and then found themselves outside of the brunt of the storm. If that works for you a few times, it makes more sense that you'd put less stock in evacuation advisories and then get bit.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2017, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
Im in Houston. It's a bigger disaster than what the media is probably letting on.....
Wow, good to know you're safe in the midst of some pretty historic flooding

I feel the majority of people that spend almost all their lives in major cities and metropolitan areas tend to underestimate nature. Coupled with a total cluelessness and lack of common sense preparedness they find themselves utterly useless in the face of disaster. Flooding is some next level horror though, high winds knocking down trees and houses is one thing but 2-4 feet of rain in 48 hours swallowing entire interstates is pretty humbling.

In fact, I'm going to take my own advice and look a bit closer at what my plan for something like this is. Last major hurricane this area saw was Bob in 1991, which makes us looooong overdue for a big storm.

andi*pandi
Aug 30, 2017, 08:17 PM

I'm agonna be perched here on my little ski hill when the flood takes out the cape.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2017, 10:43 AM

If it's not a hurricane, it's a tornado.
If it's not a tornado, it's an earthquake.
If it's not an earthquake, it's a volcano.
If it's not a volcano, it's a tsunami.

Nature is freaking scary.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2017, 11:13 AM

We are at the mercy of nature and are fools to think otherwise.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Aug 31, 2017, 11:13 AM

Mother Nature is a b!tch, too.

Here in San Antonio, we got enough rain to push back drought actions a while; we went into "stage 1" restrictions in mid-July, which meant only watering lawns once a week, and a few other details. We were expecting to move to "stage 2" which would mean things like pools would need to be covered when not in use, outdoor fountains would be restricted, and so on. The aquifer level moved up a bit and put that off.

My hospital has several patients who were evacuated from the impacted area - most from the Victoria area - and some employees from Victoria are here working with us while their hospital is cleaned up and (hopefully) put back in operation. Mostly it seems to be an issue with power and water there; there is a "boil your water" order in effect, and the power system is not yet stable (one therapist told me that her house had power "now and then" but it was not reliable anywhere in her area).

My larger worries are about the Houston area, and the Texas-Louisiana border area. The Addicks and Barker reservoirs are overflowing (which has NEVER happened since they were built in the 1940s), and the heavily populated areas around them are in dire straits because of all the impermeable cover like roads, buildings and so on. The border area is worse off in some ways, since all of it has been built up and the impermeable cover alters how the whole area drains - in a very bad way. My wife grew up in the "Golden Triangle" area, a region she terms "part of Louisiana that sloshed over the border". It's all flood-prone and even the hinterlands of the area are pretty built up.

I'm seeing a LOT of really superb responses from a lot of quarters. And some Houston area retailers who "appeared to be" gouging on gas and bottled water prices have been called out. >$8 for gas IN TEXAS??!!??? WTF! Oh, that was an error, as was the case prices (>$40 for 24 20oz bottles) for water. "We don't even usually sell cases of water. We've corrected the prices and refunded customers." Texas has a pretty strong anti-gouging law, and it's being applied to these cases.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 31, 2017, 04:50 PM

If it's not a hurricane, it's a tornado.
If it's not a tornado, it's an earthquake.
If it's not an earthquake, it's a volcano.
If it's not a volcano, it's a tsunami.

Nature is freaking scary.
And if its not all that it's a killer asteroid

Ham Sandwich
Sep 1, 2017, 07:31 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:48 AM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2017, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
??

According to city-data.com, "Houston-area historical earthquake activity is significantly below Texas state average."

Scroll down to Earthquake activity: http://www.city-data.com/city/Housto...#ixzz4rQSOcYtW

Last time that a magnitude 5 or greater impacted Houston was February 10, 2006. And even then, the center was estimated to be 341 miles away.

So, if it's not a tornado, it's likely NOT an earthquake.
No, I was saying that it almost doesn’t matter where we live — life-altering natural disasters are within the realm of possibility.

https://m.slashdot.org/story/330609
(We all know this. I was just musing)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2017, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
And if its not all that it's a killer asteroid

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2017, 11:43 AM

No, I was saying that it almost doesn’t matter where we live — life-altering natural disasters are within the realm of possibility.
Yellowstone will make Krakatoa look like a firecracker.
https://m.slashdot.org/story/330609
(We all know this. I was just musing)

45/47

andi*pandi
Sep 1, 2017, 12:00 PM

again, I'll be on my little hill, here in NE. (because I'll be snowed in)

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2017, 03:15 PM

One of the nice things about Chicago is we (knock on wood), don't really get natural disasters. No hurricanes. We're close to where tornados are a problem, but not close enough it's common. We're above sea level, and about a mile inland, there's a ridge which jacks everything a good 10'-20' higher.

We get bad blizzards, but those aren't really a disaster by modern standards.

Only problem is we're on a fault line, and it's theorized because it doesn't release built-up tension very often, when it finally does, it's not going to play around. Also, our building codes aren't earthquake foucused.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2017, 07:14 PM

I think one of the reasons Britain has such a successful history for its size is that we have no killer wildlife, geography or meteorology.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2017, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I think one of the reasons Britain has such a successful history for its size is that we have no killer wildlife, geography or meteorology.
You forgot about the Rabbit of Caerbannog!
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2017, 10:47 PM

Our killer wildlife are ****in skeeters.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Sep 2, 2017, 05:04 PM

Midwest skeeters deserve a lot of respect. They're nasty. Interesting note: when George Washington (yes that George Washington) surveyed the area west of Lake Erie and around Lake Huron, he declared it to be nothing but swamp. That's Southeastern Michigan, where I grew up. Yes indeed, Midwestern mosquitos are nasty.

On the "human stupidity" front, since several major refineries are off line for a while, someone decided "OMGOMGOMG there's no gasoline!!!!!" The predictable run on gas stations took place over the last couple of days, and now because of this idiocy, there ARE gas stations that have no gasoline. Some of the ones that do have enormous lines because there's still plenty of OMGOMGOMG, despite all the TV stations and the newspaper explaining in small words and short sentences that there IS NO GASOLINE CRISIS. Well, they had to try, right?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2017, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
One of the thing I've realised since I've moved here is that is a culture forged by minor annoyances. No hurricanes, tornados, bears, etc, but lots of plants that cause mild irritation (ie nettles), day after day of dreary rain, and the occasional fox killing your chickens.

It's this environment that leads to 'traffic calming measures', pay and display parking, train delays, and fines for taking your kid out of school in term.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2017, 05:35 PM

Hey... we have pay and display now!

I actually like it. Only problem is when we tried to get the 2016 Olympics, we needed bribe money for the IOC, and sold the rights to collect revenue to a private company.

For 20 years.

That money's gone, we got no Olympics, and there's still about 12 years left on the contract.

Here's the best part... when there's construction, we have to pay them for lost revenue.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2017, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
It's this environment that leads to 'traffic calming measures', pay and display parking, train delays, and fines for taking your kid out of school in term.
I really hate the new pay and displays where you have to put your car number plate in to get the ticket. If I buy a ticket for a day (or whatever) it's my bay and if I want to give my ticket to someone else then I should be allowed to. It's not the money as such it's the petty meanness. It's nice to hand over an unused ticket. It makes the other persons day better and it is a small way we get to be nice to each other, which is actually important in peoples lives. And councils stop it for a few measly ponds more in their pockets.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2017, 05:57 PM

oh and back on topic. Because Texas:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-u...-to-the-rescue

Monster trucks make everything better.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2017, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
I really hate the new pay and displays where you have to put your car number plate in to get the ticket. If I buy a ticket for a day (or whatever) it's my bay and if I want to give my ticket to someone else then I should be allowed to. It's not the money as such it's the petty meanness. It's nice to hand over an unused ticket. It makes the other persons day better and it is a small way we get to be nice to each other, which is actually important in peoples lives. And councils stop it for a few measly ponds more in their pockets.
Agree completely, but then we shall never be surprised at the c*****h behaviour of our local councils. Especially B&NES. I need some kind of spitting emoji.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Sep 3, 2017, 08:51 PM

Because of how so many people have gone ahead and moved to help, for years we'll be hearing "see, I told you it was a good idea to spend that much on jacking my truck that high up!" This will also be justification for millions of men to buy flat-bottomed fishing boats, "just in case there's another Harvey to deal with." I'm not joking on this...

Local grocery chain H-E-B has gone above, beyond and back again to help in Houston and surrounds. Sure, it's not bad for business, but it is incredibly good for the community, and something that is more about community than anything else. Check out the Here and Now program on their efforts.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2017, 05:58 AM

Because of how so many people have gone ahead and moved to help, for years we'll be hearing "see, I told you it was a good idea to spend that much on jacking my truck that high up!" This will also be justification for millions of men to buy flat-bottomed fishing boats, "just in case there's another Harvey to deal with." I'm not joking on this...
I already told a Houston based friend he should invest in a dealership for small boats and maybe jetskis. I wasn't joking either. There will be a boom as soon as the clean up starts winding up.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2017, 06:51 PM

Local grocery chain H-E-B has gone above, beyond and back again to help in Houston and surrounds. Sure, it's not bad for business, but it is incredibly good for the community, and something that is more about community than anything else. Check out the Here and Now program on their efforts.
H-E-B has been incredible.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2017, 06:23 AM

45/47

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2017, 11:49 AM

I'd have been stunned if there wasn't looting.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2017, 11:54 AM

It reminded me of this golden Apu moment.
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2017, 12:06 PM

DailyMail? Really?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2017, 01:24 PM

I didn't give them the click, but I've definitely seen footage of looting (as in non-emergency related retail goods)

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Sep 11, 2017, 06:36 PM

My cousin who lives in Miami got all the way to Charleston. She has two small kids, and is passing this off as another vacation, but she's still very worried about how Miami has actually fared.

My inlaws in Tampa hunkered down and seem to have done fine. They had high winds and a few trees damaged, but no structural damage. Their dogs slept through the storm... Other cousins, classmates, etc. in Florida are doing fine, though without power for the moment.

Now, what's Juan going to do after two legendary hurricanes have beaten up Texas and Florida?

andi*pandi
Sep 12, 2017, 11:38 AM

My folks hunkered down also, they are a north of Tampa, they lost power but have a generator. They say they've seen worse, so it slowed down by then.

Forum Links
Forum Rules