Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 23)
Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2006, 05:33 AM

I can just hear Brother Cavell after being reanimated. "Man, how come I'm the only cylon with a 70 year old body?"

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
That would rock if it aired on NBC HD. It would make the wait actually worth it.
I've been getting the show on Universal HD since Comcast added it to our service just before the Olympics. (Comcast, you rock!) The episodes are several weeks behind, so this weekend I get "Resurrection Ship" in glorious widescreen high-definition...

You've gotta love the risks this show takes in its storytelling. How many other TV dramas would skip an entire year with one cut, and just expect the audience to fill in the blanks?

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 11:45 AM

All I gotta say is this better not be a reset-button story like Enterprise always had.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2006, 12:29 PM

That was a frakkin' great finale. Baltar is the consumate a$$hole. I harped on the show because the middle f the second season got too slow for me, but this new plot lines is refreshing.

The colonists got to live on their sh*t hole of a planet and becaseu of Baltar, the Cylons are back.

It makes you wonder why no one thought about tracking the signature of the nuclear blast. You'd think Adama would have known about that. I guess they are not as advanced as they could be.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Mar 11, 2006 at 09:55 PM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

awcopus
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 01:15 PM

I think we're genuinely supposed to believe that the Cylons are turning over some kind of new leaf. Otherwise they would have just blown away the colonists with nukes from orbit. Frankly, what possible incentive does the fleet have to return? To die fighting in a futile attempt to take on a vastly superior force? Well, they had that opportunity and they jumped. So... complex to be sure, and a little bit unbelievable.

But would it have been any more believable if, say, Roslin and Starbuck and maybe 12,000 others had stayed aboard the ships to maintain a credible defense effort, so that when the Cylons appear they essentially face (and make) the same decision they faced in the first episodes of the series? To leave everyone behind?

Wouldn't Adama have made clear that anyone who settles on the surface is assuming full responsibility for defending themselves? And wouldn't more people have decided against settlingi based on (1) Adam's warning and (2) reports of conditions on the planet? Baltar's order to settle the surface has no teeth without the support of the military and I just don't believe that the seventeen thousand folks who did in fact vote for Roslin (and against settling the planet) would be forced against their will to join the others on the surface.

I hope the show revisits events from the year. Overall, BSG is just fantastic. October.... ouch... but at least Season 2 will be available on DVD.
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Baltar also ordered everyone down to the planet.
Which obviously wasn't the case since all of the ships in orbit were indeed manned.

How many people was it said were left on Galactica? 1/3 the crew? That's probably significant right there. Pegasus was probably similarly manned. And then there's the other ships.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Which obviously wasn't the case since all of the ships in orbit were indeed manned.

How many people was it said were left on Galactica? 1/3 the crew? That's probably significant right there. Pegasus was probably similarly manned. And then there's the other ships.
I got the impression there were enough left on the ships to man the bridge and man the fighters.

The destruction of Cloud 9 did destroy other ships, as noted by the Battlestar Wiki:

http://www.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Cloud_9

"Cloud 9 and several smaller ships are destroyed by Gina just after the presidential election using a nuclear device that was given to her by Gaius Baltar (Lay Down Your Burdens, Part II)."
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2006, 04:18 PM

Anyone notice the symbolism that the survivor count was replaced with that portrait of Baltar?
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Jan Van Boghout
Mar 11, 2006, 04:25 PM

Awesome finale. Which Six was it in the end though, Caprica Six or Cloud 9 Six?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jan Van Boghout
Awesome finale. Which Six was it in the end though, Caprica Six or Cloud 9 Six?
Caprica Six, of course. Cloud 9 Six is gone--no more Resurrection Ship, remember?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Jan Van Boghout
Mar 11, 2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
Caprica Six, of course. Cloud 9 Six is gone--no more Resurrection Ship, remember?
That's what I thought at first, but she had the much more tormented look of Cloud 9 Six. It also struck me as odd that Caprica Six would help with another Cylon occupation.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jan Van Boghout
That's what I thought at first, but she had the much more tormented look of Cloud 9 Six. It also struck me as odd that Caprica Six would help with another Cylon occupation.
I also thought it looked like Cloud 9 Six. She also seemed to know exactly what the nuclear traces were about. It's plausible that the Cylons deployed another resurrection ship.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ozmodiar
What did the voice say? I only saw the second showing of the episode and I don't think we got a preview. I didn't catch it anyway.
I don't remember it all, but the end was something along the lines of, "We will be strict and demanding, but always show them our love. We will be like God."

By the way, was anybody else anxious to know what happened to poor depressed WasCapricaButIsNowGalactica Boomer?
( Last edited by Chuckit; Mar 11, 2006 at 05:12 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 05:19 PM

I'm 100% sure it was Caprica Six with Boomer and the Number 5. Gina was inches away from a nuclear detonation (no upload or download for her) and I'm pretty sure they've even said the Clyons who die in the fleet die forever now anyway.

She also had the same sad/lost expression on her face as she did on Caprica. Gina's look seemed a little more depressed. I think Caprica Six and Boomer would help in a new occupation just because they're looking for Baltar and the Chief (respectively).

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 06:29 PM

Yeah their is definitely something other than total destruction of the human race driving the Cylons now, otherwise they would have just nuked the settlement and went after the remaining fleet.

The Brother Cavell twins must've been telling the truth about the Cylons new way of seeing things. This will no doubt not be any better for the colonies though.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2006, 07:54 PM

has anyone else noticed that the cylons each have an important role in society?

Simon: A doctor
Brother Calvin: Priest
Lucy Lawless: Journalist
Boomer: Military
Six: Seductress
Doral: PR Rep/Politics
Leobin: um...*shrug* business man?

So using this logic, can we assume that other cylons play other important roles in their society?
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by gumby5647
has anyone else noticed that the cylons each have an important role in society?

Simon: A doctor
Brother Calvin: Priest
Lucy Lawless: Journalist
Boomer: Military
Six: Seductress
Doral: PR Rep/Politics
Leobin: um...*shrug* business man?

So using this logic, can we assume that other cylons play other important roles in their society?
I think Leobin is more of a Prophet.

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 08:13 PM

Well, the original Six was nominally working for a military contractor (IIRC she convinced Baltar to let her into the defense computers so that she would have insider information when bidding on a contract, or something along those lines). The Shelly Godfrey Six had the cover story of working with for a scientist that had a similar sort of access. And the Six from Pegasus got aboard as a civilian dockworker, when that ship was in for refit.

So probably the Six role would be in military support. Sure, she seduced Baltar, but how hard is that? Two of the Sharons, meanwhile, seduced the Chief and Helo. It's probably something that any of them might try with the appropriate target, depending on their longterm goals. Some are probably better at it than others, though.

Oz--
Well, by now the Cylons probably have brought more resurrection facilities with them.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 08:25 PM

She also had the same sad/lost expression on her face as she did on Caprica. Gina's look seemed a little more depressed.
Hasn't Tricia Helfer blossomed into a fantastic actress?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2006, 09:01 PM

HOLY BLEEDIN' CRAP!

Now THAT is how to make a TV show, my frineds!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 12, 2006, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
I got the impression there were enough left on the ships to man the bridge and man the fighters.

The destruction of Cloud 9 did destroy other ships, as noted by the Battlestar Wiki:

http://www.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Cloud_9

"Cloud 9 and several smaller ships are destroyed by Gina just after the presidential election using a nuclear device that was given to her by Gaius Baltar (Lay Down Your Burdens, Part II)."
I just rewatched the episode and when Adama met with Tigh he said that 'more than half' of the crew was on the planet. That leaves a pretty significant number of people aboard. And as I said above; I think it's safe to assume that Pegasus is manned at least as well and probably better since, given its technological superiority to the Galactica, one could assume that it is serving a larger defensive role for the planet than Galactica is.

I have no doubt that the destruction of Cloud 9 and the surrounding baby ships killed a great number of people. But I doubt it was near your 10,000 estimate.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 12, 2006, 12:47 AM

I guess I am the only one that thought the finale was just OK but not great. The content was good but the storytelling was too disjointed, as if they were trying to cram too much into a very limited amount of time.

Originally Posted by BrunoBruin
I've been getting the show on Universal HD since Comcast added it to our service just before the Olympics. (Comcast, you rock!) The episodes are several weeks behind, so this weekend I get "Resurrection Ship" in glorious widescreen high-definition...
What I was getting at was HD right from the start and available to any cable provider. ie. NBC HD is ubiquitous. Universal HD is not (and is several weeks behind).

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2006, 03:22 AM

Whhat the heck.... I... ummm... show... confused...

Holy... what a twist.... I'm still in shock... must watch it again... Need to see next season's preview. My left arm for a link.

brapper
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2006, 04:49 AM

wowzers.
Great finale.
Brutal wait to follow.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2006, 12:28 PM

The producers have stated the occupation arc will only be about 4 episodes (with another 4 spent on the Cylon homeworld). So New Caprica won't be around for very long. Be interesting to see what happens to Baltar after the four episodes. The producers also said next season they'll be exploring why Baltar is so significant to the Cylons. Maybe he finally joins the Cylons?

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel
Hasn't Tricia Helfer blossomed into a fantastic actress?
She certainly has. Eick mentioned in the podcast that she and Grace Park had the toughest acting jobs on the series. While Park has greatly improved since the mini, Ms. Helfer really is spectacular (hyperbole intended). She does so much with nuance and very fine movements. She's been playing three characters consistently in the past 10 eps, and I buy every one of them. She's certainly an acting find, and I hope she finds a place in TV and film after BSG runs its course.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Mar 12, 2006, 02:32 PM

omfg holy sh1te! that was an INSANE episode!

geeezzzzz.........i just have to say, however, i am a little weary about how primitive their setup was. I was in southern Mississippi for 3 months after Katrina, which reduced the place to rubble. Even 3 months later some people were smart enough to build basic shelters out of whatever was around- wood and stuff, pieces of metal sheets.

well, anyways, it was a fraking amazing episode. i am glad they went up to the point of surrender and not simply stopping with the cylons on the planet and the fleet jumping away.

A+ for artistic quality
A+ for content

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 02:46 PM

That was the best damn 90 minutes of TV I have ever watched. Never ever would I have thought any show would have the nerve to jump one year ahead like that.

Any other show would totally be an Indian giver and after a 2 parter would destroy some time ship and make everything reset back to normal with nobody remembering anything.

It is also rather ironic that since Baltar gave 6 the nuke it is also what lead the Cylons into finding them, guess that didn't work out like he hoped.

From what I saw the nuke that went off also destroyed at LEAST 2 other ships.

Even if they had advance warning it isn't like the whole crew could beam up and be back to normal as the ships are in major dis-repair, I am also sure most of the crew has lost its touch.

A major concept change like this is something shows normally do when the ratings are dipping or all the story lines are played out. RDM has mentioned how he is sick of space battles and such so I guess this is just his way of keeping it fresh even though things aren't stale yet.

I don't know how anyone here thinks last years was more exciting. How does Adama getting shot compare to thousands getting killed, Baltar becoming president, resettlement on another planet, the fleet practically mothballed, Adama and lee miserable, the Cylons making the fleet surrender and occupation?

"Barwaraaawww"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2006, 02:59 PM

More happened in this one, but I still think Boomer shooting Adama was more shocking. The only real "Oh no you di'int" moment in this episode was that they jumped ahead a full year all of a sudden.
Chuck
___

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
More happened in this one, but I still think Boomer shooting Adama was more shocking. The only real "Oh no you di'int" moment in this episode was that they jumped ahead a full year all of a sudden.
Really? I thought Adama's mustache was far more shocking.

"Barwaraaawww"

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 03:26 PM

My Questions are:

1) Did the Cylons lie about wanting peace?
2) Did the cylons that found them in the end the "good" cylons? Are there 2 different factions?
3) Why do you THINK the cylons are looking for Starbuck? Is it because I thought she was "Special" like I thought?
4) Why did Gina nuke herself? I don't think she did it to contact the cyons as even they mentioned it was a fluke. I assume radiation travels at the speed of light and that is why the cylons took a year to find them when they were 1 lightyear away. She probably did it as a big "Frack you" to baltar and still do her job as a cylon and kill people.

Obviously the Cylons do not want to destroy the humans or they would have nuked it from orbit. Is it simply because they want to round up all the women for the farms?

"Barwaraaawww"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by I Bent My Wookiee
My Questions are:

I don't think they did. I think the idea now is that they're going to force/teach peace to the poor barbaric humans.

OreoCookie
Mar 12, 2006, 04:08 PM

I don't know. I think it has something to do with Gina loving Baltar, more of a personal thing. And on a larger scale (as suggested above) `serving' humans (similar to I, Robot).
2) Did the cylons that found them in the end the "good" cylons? Are there 2 different factions?
I don't entirely know. Could be that there are several factions now, but it didn't really sound like that. However, there seems to be some sense of democracy within the Cylon community.
3) Why do you THINK the cylons are looking for Starbuck? Is it because I thought she was "Special" like I thought?
They have taken one of her ovaries, so I guess it has something to do with them wanting to reproduce.
4) Why did Gina nuke herself? I don't think she did it to contact the cyons as even they mentioned it was a fluke. I assume radiation travels at the speed of light and that is why the cylons took a year to find them when they were 1 lightyear away. She probably did it as a big "Frack you" to baltar and still do her job as a cylon and kill people.
I think it was primarily because she was deeply disturbed as a person by the abuse on Pegasus. I think that this was her primary motivation.
Obviously the Cylons do not want to destroy the humans or they would have nuked it from orbit. Is it simply because they want to round up all the women for the farms?
We'll find out in October, I guess
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 04:41 PM

geeezzzzz.........i just have to say, however, i am a little weary about how primitive their setup was. I was in southern Mississippi for 3 months after Katrina, which reduced the place to rubble. Even 3 months later some people were smart enough to build basic shelters out of whatever was around- wood and stuff, pieces of metal sheets.
Well there's probably little useful wood on the planet. The place is described as barren, with some plant and animal life . It could be that plants that you can make structurally useful wood out of haven't evolved there or can't really be grown there. I rewatched, but the only wood I noticed that was probably local was some sticks around the food vendors' area.

And other than radioactive scrap metal from the ships that got blown up, they probably don't have a great deal to spare, unless they want to dismantle the ships. The tents don't surprise me, and it looked like they were being mass produced. Metal for the frames could be mined from the planet or asteroids, and processed. Hydrocarbons from comets or other planets could be processed for synthetic fibers, which they'd need to make all that cold weather clothing, as well as the tent fabric.

In any case, they don't have the wreckage of a city to reuse.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 06:21 PM

Wow, I just found out that most of Pegaus' sets are from a cancelled Lost in Space TV show. That is the only way they could afford it.

"Barwaraaawww"

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 09:07 PM

I don't think so. I'm sure they now believe God wants them to love instead of hate. I agree there's probably at least two factions, though, as Number 3's ten-episode arc next season is supposed to cause a lot of Cylon friction.

The cylon asking for Starbuck was the same model she interrogated. Before he was put out the airlock he asked her to pray for his soul to reach God, but maybe he was able to be downloaded into another body? He could just be trying to find her to thank her for praying.

4) Why did Gina nuke herself?
She's been suicidal since Baltar found her. My guess is she was just killing herself and wanted to make sure there was no chance she could download into a new body so she used a nuke. The collateral damage was just icing on the cake for her.

In my opinion, they didn't nuke it because they want peace. I doubt they have any Farming intentions with the women based on what the Cavils said about needing to figure out life for themselves.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 12, 2006, 09:14 PM

According to scfi.com/battlestar/ships, the luxury liners like Cloud Nine carry 1,000 passengers comfortably. And I would say it was considerably larger than the other ships around it that were destroyed in the bombing. So I'm guessing even if Cloud Nine was carrying twice it's "comfort" capacity, that would probably leave a lot less than 10,000 dead.

So has anyone checked the numbers in the for the election? Moore said in the podcast he just made them up and hoped someone would check them later
Nemo me impune lacesset

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2006, 09:16 PM

All I know is that we have a long wait and a lot of speculation to do. Curse you Battlestar for being so good. Curse you.

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Mar 13, 2006, 12:52 AM

JoshuaZ, agreed! Damn you, BSG for being so good.

Brainstorm: if we do an online petition and demand that they move it up to like June do you think it'll work?

I pray yes.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2006, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane
According to scfi.com/battlestar/ships, the luxury liners like Cloud Nine carry 1,000 passengers comfortably. And I would say it was considerably larger than the other ships around it that were destroyed in the bombing. So I'm guessing even if Cloud Nine was carrying twice it's "comfort" capacity, that would probably leave a lot less than 10,000 dead.

So has anyone checked the numbers in the for the election? Moore said in the podcast he just made them up and hoped someone would check them later
1,000 is the stats for one of the smaller luxery liners, not the cloud nine which was much larger than average.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 02:07 AM

In season one they were at 42,000ish. After the nuke on the planet a year later they are at 39,000ish.

so 3000 dead is a safe guess.

"Barwaraaawww"

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 02:36 AM

They do a soul count at the start of every episode. At the beginning of the season finale it said 49,550.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 02:37 AM

They do a soul count at the start of every episode. At the beginning of the season finale it said 49,550.
I guess that factors in the Pegasus crew.

"Barwaraaawww"

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 02:47 AM

The count in the episode before the Pegasus shows up is 47,853, and after it's 49,605 (according to the Battlestar Wiki).

finboy
Mar 13, 2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
That was Caprica Six, or "War Hero 6" as the Cylons have begun to refer to her. And she wanted to see Baltar.

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Mar 13, 2006, 02:36 PM

What the hell am I going to do until October?

What they hell are they thinking not making new eps until October?

What the HELL?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Corpse of Chewbacca
What the hell am I going to do until October?

What they hell are they thinking not making new eps until October?

What the HELL?
It's probably a combination of production issues and their ensemble cast--some actors might have worked out deals that allowed them to do other projects during the spring.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 04:23 PM

I wish they would have just spaced in repeats here and there. It's a long wait till October.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 06:05 PM

I would rather they really take their time and make the next season as good or better than this one. It seems like so much on tv is rushed out the door to fill the space between commercials.

October will be here before we know it. Look how fast a year went by in that last episode.

Meanwhile, there's another half season of Lost.
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2006, 06:19 PM

It could also be that they want the new Dr. Who series and whatever they're pairing with that to get a full run or something.
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules