Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > another bluetooth mouse (maybe)

another bluetooth mouse (maybe)
MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2003, 10:05 PM

Doing a search for "bluetooth mouse" on google came up with nothing but information on the Microsoft BT and Logitech Presenter mouses for the first few pages. then on the third or so page was a link to a company called Cellink, who make a bluetooth mouse. i havent been able to find it for sale anywhere, though, and there is no picture on the page. it claims to work with OSX, though. i may email them and see when it'll be available.

http://www.cellink.com.tw/html/blue%20mouse.htm

xtal
Senior User
Mar 6, 2003, 10:11 PM

No picture on the site? Maybe it's Safari...

Do post back if/when the company responds to you.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2003, 10:13 PM

i emailed them, and the pic doesnt show up on IE on windows either (was looking for BT accessories on the PC before the PB came) so it isnt safari. ill look other places for a picture, though.

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2003, 10:21 PM

http://www.ano.be/BTM_5021_HEADPAGE.htm <-- picture... doesnt look like the best designed mouse, but if it works, its better than the microsoft one.

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2003, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
[url]but if it works, its better than the microsoft one.
The M$ BT mouse doesn't do OS X?

Chris Grande
Senior User
Mar 7, 2003, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by JB72:
The M$ BT mouse doesn't do OS X?
More like OS X doesn't do bluetooth mice.

xtal
Senior User
Mar 7, 2003, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by Chris Grande:
More like OS X doesn't do bluetooth mice.
I thought that 10.2.4 added Bluetooth support. Am I mistaken?

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2003, 12:19 AM

yes, it added more bluetooth support, but i dont believe it has the native ability to run HID (human interface devices) through bluetooth. the specs on this mouse claim to support OSX, however, so we'll see.

no email back as of 11:20 EST

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2003, 02:54 AM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
yes, it added more bluetooth support, but i dont believe it has the native ability to run HID (human interface devices) through bluetooth.
I'd really like to see someone with access to one of those M$ BT mice plug it into 10.2.4. Sometimes you never know.

I wonder what USB Overdrive will do when a lot of these mice start going Bluetooth.

xtal
Senior User
Mar 7, 2003, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by JB72:
I wonder what USB Overdrive will do when a lot of these mice start going Bluetooth.
They'll be fine. I don't think Bluetooth products are going to see an explosion or anything. Most of the HIDs (thanks for the term) out there aren't wireless as is, and many people don't have the need for them.

Maybe the cool factor will turn people though...

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2003, 01:03 PM

i would only get a bluetooth mouse/keyboard if i the freaking reciver was in my computer, like in the new PB, hell i kept my logitch reciver on the floor for the longest time. plus its taking up a USB port

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2003, 06:20 PM

yeah, a bluetooth mouse really only makes sense when the reciever is built in, or you know you will use more than one bluetooth device. if there's still a reciever sticking out, it doesn't matter what standard it uses, it's still inconvenient. i have a Logitech Wireless Optical (the pre-MX series ambidextrous silver/blue one) and i was very satisfied with it for desktop use, but the reciever is on a 4 foot cord and is rather large, and VERY inconvenient for laptop use. no reciever at all would be the best solution, obviously.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2003, 06:22 PM

Other than costing more, what does a bluetooth mouse do over a regular mouse or wireless mouse?

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2003, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
Other than costing more, what does a bluetooth mouse do over a regular mouse or wireless mouse?
longer range (kind of a moot point for mouses), and, if you have an internal BT adapter, no receiver. For most people, though, there really isn't much of an advantage unless you have a new powerbook or you want to use the adapter for other devices (a single receiver for mouse, cell phone, PDA, etc.). I don't think they actually would cost much more than a good RF wireless mouse, though. The Microsoft BT mouse is $70, but it comes with the USB bluetooth adapter which usually cost $30 or so, as far as i know, so its really a $40 mouse, which isn't bad.

JB72: people have tried the MS bluetooth mouse with OSX, though i don't know about 10.2.4. If i remember correctly, they got a window asking for a number (with no indication of what the number meant) and no serial numbers, etc. would work when entered. I don't know if that has changed in 10.2.4 or not.

also, Microsoft requires that you use the USB bluetooth adapter that comes with the mouse, which defeats the purpose on a new powerbook even if it did work.

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2003, 06:46 PM

JB72: people have tried the MS bluetooth mouse with OSX, though i don't know about 10.2.4. If i remember correctly, they got a window asking for a number (with no indication of what the number meant) and no serial numbers, etc. would work when entered. I don't know if that has changed in 10.2.4 or not.
Thanks for the update. It makes sense that it doesn't just PnP as there's prolly no standard for Bluetooth HID devices on OS X yet. No worries though. Getting more phone & PDA support in iSync is what I'm after.

also, Microsoft requires that you use the USB bluetooth adapter that comes with the mouse, which defeats the purpose on a new powerbook even if it did work.
True. In my case I was thinking for my MDD which doesn't have an adapter. The large one they provide would actually be pretty nice on my oversized desk. But, again, no big deal.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2003, 07:07 PM

Actually..

when you have a bluetooth receiver that takes up a USB port you still save 1 port as you only need 1 for the keyboard and mouse.

There's only one thing I could wish for now and that's bluetooth printers :drool:
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2003, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
Actually..

when you have a bluetooth receiver that takes up a USB port you still save 1 port as you only need 1 for the keyboard and mouse.

There's only one thing I could wish for now and that's bluetooth printers :drool:
i believe several printer companies make parallel > bluetooth adapters. they will set you back $100 or more, however.

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2003, 09:46 PM

Maybe if we start spamming Microsoft and Apple we can get them to add drivers to get rid of having to us a USB adapter. Eh, maybe they will add support soon. It would be sweet just to carry a mouse and a notebook instead of cords, recivers, etc.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2003, 05:12 PM

Does anyone sell a USB to Bluetooth adapter?

Ex: Putting an adapter into the USB port on the back of my printer to make it wireless.

That parallel to USB one is a rip off... for $170 I can live with a cord.
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

Avon
Senior User
Mar 8, 2003, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by mark9939:
Does anyone sell a USB to Bluetooth adapter?

Ex: Putting an adapter into the USB port on the back of my printer to make it wireless.

That parallel to USB one is a rip off... for $170 I can live with a cord.
You can get a wireless (802.11) USB print server. This is exactly what you need.

Avon
Senior User
Mar 8, 2003, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by Avon:
You can get a wireless (802.11) USB print server. This is exactly what you need.
Here is a blue tooth print server:

http://www.devdepot.com/description....code=HBKF8T030

Although, I don't know why use it over 802.11?

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2003, 01:22 AM

Originally posted by Avon:
Although, I don't know why use it over 802.11?
Bluetooth would be more simple consumer oriented in thise case. Digi came > printer via BT. Also wouldn't BT allow easier config, like a USB almost (802.11 more like LAN.) Makes sense for printing w/ others' printers (assuming they don't have Rendezvous.)

Expansys US BT stuff for sale

BlueUnplugged. A tasty Bluetooth store in the UK.

Forum Links
Forum Rules