Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Using Safari's Google field as a quick access bookmark menu to help Apple make money?

Using Safari's Google field as a quick access bookmark menu to help Apple make money?
FireWire
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2008, 05:02 AM

Since we know Apple makes a cut every time someone uses Safari's built-in Google search field, I was wondering if anybody else used it purposedly for this reason?

I got into the habit of using it daily, even for short URLs, just for the sake of helping Apple make a few bucks. It doesn't cost me anything, and if a lot of Safari users do it, it can make some difference at the end of the year! You can put a small list of frequently visited sites and use it as a quick bookmarks menu!

[Edit] I just noticed that this post upgraded me to the rank of "Grizzled Veteran"
( Last edited by FireWire; Dec 22, 2008 at 05:05 AM. Reason: bragging :P)

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2008, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the tip, you Grizzled Veteran, you!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2008, 10:17 AM

So you have to search and then click on the result, just to make Apple some cents? It seems like buying from the iTunes Store every so often would be more productive, but if it works for you that's great.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2008, 10:24 AM

I don't think Apple's really strapped for cash...

Maybe if it was supporting a non-profit or a small business, but the markup on their hardware is enough to warrant no inclination to give them more money.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2008, 10:38 AM

What makes you think Apple gets a cut every time someone uses Safari's search field? I see nothing in the resulting URL that would let Google know what the source of the search was.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2008, 10:46 AM

When you use the Google search bar in Safari, the URL used to access Google identifies Safari, and Apple supposedly gets some small amount for each search. I too agree that Apple's not a charity and isn't hurting for cash.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
When you use the Google search bar in Safari, the URL used to access Google identifies Safari, and Apple supposedly gets some small amount for each search. I too agree that Apple's not a charity and isn't hurting for cash.
As I said though - I did a search using that field, and examined the resulting URL, and saw nothing that identified Safari as its source. Even if Safari were somehow identified as the source, what, specifically, makes anyone think Apple gets paid for that? Was it in a press release somewhere?
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Cold Warrior
Dec 22, 2008, 11:53 AM

The Mozilla foundation gets a huge chunk of money from Google and part of the deal is to make Google the default quick search option.

I've never seen the same thing with Apple and even if that's true I don't think Apple really cares. Google is hands down the best search engine on the net. Integrating Google into Safari is just a way to bring value and ease of use to the browser.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2008, 12:04 PM

they only get money if you click an ad ...

google doesnt get money every search you make - it gets money for every click of an ad - they just divide that number of clicks by the number of searches to big themselves up.
we don't have time to stop for gas

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Oneota View Post
As I said though - I did a search using that field, and examined the resulting URL, and saw nothing that identified Safari as its source. Even if Safari were somehow identified as the source, what, specifically, makes anyone think Apple gets paid for that? Was it in a press release somewhere?
You don't see it in Firefox either but it happens. It's a pretty good bet that Apple gets *some* sort of a kick back.

That said, it's not worth my time to do this for a few cents a day over to Apple. They get enough of my money as it is.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2008, 01:45 PM

Wouldn't that be costing all of your favorite sites money?

I would think that most sites need money a lot more then Apple or Google does.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Wouldn't that be costing all of your favorite sites money?

I would think that most sites need money a lot more then Apple or Google does.
How would it cost other sites money? It's Google paying Apple for the search traffic.

But anyway, why on earth would I want to help Apple make money? It's not like Apple employees are sitting there clicking "Donate to Chuck" links in return — or like Apple even needs money in the first place. It has some of the largest cash reserves I've ever heard of.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2008, 02:43 PM

I just mail Steve Jobs a fresh, crisp $1 bill every day.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2008, 02:50 PM

I agree Apple doesn't really need it, but it's not like money would go elsewhere otherwise. And I like encouraging companies I like, and I think we all love Apple here And it's actually faster than typing the URL by hand, since you have to click the URL bar, triple click to select everything (or hit Cmd-L) and then put your two hands on the keyboard and type. With this method you only have to select a name from a list, and Google searches are near-instant. So I don't see any drawback of doing it.

Originally Posted by Oneota
What makes you think Apple gets a cut every time someone uses Safari's search field? I see nothing in the resulting URL that would let Google know what the source of the search was.
I don't remember where I read that back then, but a Google search tells me that Apple would be making around $25 millions per year thanks to Safari!

By the way, the URL I get when I perform the search is :

code:
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=macnn&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2008, 03:06 PM

I'll try to help Apple make more money the day they decide to use some of their $20 BILLION plus in cash to pay their stock holders a dividend.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2008, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I'll try to help Apple make more money the day they decide to use some of their $20 BILLION plus in cash to pay their stock holders a dividend.
I'd rather they use that cash to continue to innovate.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
How would it cost other sites money? It's Google paying Apple for the search traffic.

But anyway, why on earth would I want to help Apple make money? It's not like Apple employees are sitting there clicking "Donate to Chuck" links in return — or like Apple even needs money in the first place. It has some of the largest cash reserves I've ever heard of.
Because Google turns around and charges those sites money for directing traffic to them.

Google pays Apple with the money they make by charging the small sites to direct links to them.

It's a long and complicated journey, but the money google pays to apple has to come from somewhere.
( Last edited by ort888; Dec 22, 2008 at 04:27 PM. )

Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2008, 04:49 PM

... from ads.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2008, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
I'd rather they use that cash to continue to innovate.

It's pretty clear they are not using their cash hoard for anything productive because the hoard keeps getting bigger every year. They currently have the cash equivalent of ~$22/share. Giving a dividend of $1.00/share isn't going to hurt them in the least and will leave them PLENTY of cash to continue to "innovate" (or to continue to sit on).

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 22, 2008, 05:55 PM

It's pretty clear they are not using their cash hoard for anything productive because the hoard keeps getting bigger every year.
"Apple must not be doing well, because they are making more money than they're spending."

Do you work for the US Government?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2008, 06:36 PM

Because Google turns around and charges those sites money for directing traffic to them.

Google pays Apple with the money they make by charging the small sites to direct links to them.

It's a long and complicated journey, but the money google pays to apple has to come from somewhere.
Are you serious???

If you are, then you are very misinformed. Google does *NOT* charge for links to sites.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2008, 06:39 PM

Google doesn't charge sites money. Google doesn't even have the capability to charge arbitrary sites money — it's not like you have to give your credit card info to Google before you can sign up for the Internet. The money comes from Google AdWords.
Chuck
___

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2008, 07:17 PM

Then what is this check I send to Google every month for?

Wait, Google is in Africa, right?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2008, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
"Apple must not be doing well, because they are making more money than they're spending."

Do you work for the US Government?
Please point to where I said or implied Apple isn't doing well. I'll be waiting.

Sitting on a cash hoard of over $18 billion doesn't in any way imply that Apple isn't doing well. Neither does suggesting that a good use of some of that money would be to give a small one time dividend to their stock holders.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 23, 2008, 01:00 AM

Please point to where I said or implied Apple isn't doing well. I'll be waiting.
You made the claim that Apple isn't being productive. In my mind, that's a pretty strong implication that they're not doing well. Rollseyes.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2008, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
Since we know Apple makes a cut every time someone uses Safari's built-in Google search field, I was wondering if anybody else used it purposedly for this reason?

I got into the habit of using it daily, even for short URLs, just for the sake of helping Apple make a few bucks. It doesn't cost me anything, and if a lot of Safari users do it, it can make some difference at the end of the year! You can put a small list of frequently visited sites and use it as a quick bookmarks menu!

Wow. I have never seen anyone take fanboyism to this level before.

Hmmm, how can I make more money for a successful corporation that I have no financial stake in?
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2008, 03:11 AM

I've converted 38 people to the Mac platform within 5.5 years, bought three notebooks (personal), two desktops (work), two iPods, two iPod nanos, iPod shuffle, named my dog after the company, and have bought thousands of songs and shows from iTunes.

I think my duty to Apple ends there.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Dec 23, 2008 at 03:20 AM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2008, 03:18 AM

I am SHOCKED...SHOCKED to see you brazenly display those horrifying search terms in public!
So I couldn't get it to look just right...sue me.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2008, 03:25 AM

I am shocked…SHOCKED by that kerning.
Chuck
___

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2008, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by BasketofPuppies View Post
Wow. I have never seen anyone take fanboyism to this level before.
I don't see what I'm doing "wrong" I just see it as a way to do "good" without any effort or sacrifices. The more money Apple have, the more they can invest it in useful and innovative products that can change people's life. How many great projects were scrapped because of cash problem in the past?

I realize many of you are new or "accidental" Mac users that weren't there when things were less easy for Apple, but I will never forget the day they sold their soul to the devil for a handful of millions $ (which is now spare change for them).

Anyway, that's not the point. Like I said, it's just for the sake of it, because it doesn't cost you anything. It's not a duty, it's a "courtesy". I don't force anyone to do it, I was just mentionning it in case people wanted to do it and didn't know.

Jawbone: hahaha I had envisioned to do it myself, but I wasn't feeling creative at the time Good one!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2008, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
they only get money if you click an ad ...

google doesnt get money every search you make - it gets money for every click of an ad - they just divide that number of clicks by the number of searches to big themselves up.
as I said, you're wasting your time unless you click on ads and also remain on the site long enough for Google to decide you're a genuine customer.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 23, 2008, 08:44 AM

By the way, the URL I get when I perform the search is :

code:
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=macnn&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
That’s there too when you go to google.com and perform a search; the result page always includes your browser (client) in the URL.

They wouldn’t have to include Safari in the URL to know if a query was sent from the search field, though, would they? Wouldn’t some header like the HTTP_REFERER do just fine?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2008, 12:27 PM

I don't see what I'm doing "wrong" I just see it as a way to do "good" without any effort or sacrifices. The more money Apple have, the more they can invest it in useful and innovative products that can change people's life. How many great projects were scrapped because of cash problem in the past?
In the past several years? I'm going to say zero. Apple's only cash problem is keeping Steve Jobs from spending all day swimming in their ginormous piles of coin Scrooge McDuck-style.

I realize many of you are new or "accidental" Mac users that weren't there when things were less easy for Apple, but I will never forget the day they sold their soul to the devil for a handful of millions $ (which is now spare change for them).
I've been a Mac user since 1984, and you know what I've noticed in all that time? Apple is not my friend. Apple is not some affable old man who's down on his luck. Apple is a technology company that makes cool stuff but is actually often kind of a dick in the way it treats people.
Chuck
___

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2008, 12:28 PM

as I said, you're wasting your time unless you click on ads and also remain on the site long enough for Google to decide you're a genuine customer.
That's not true for the Firefox deal. One could reasonably assume that Apple gets a similar deal...

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2008, 12:30 PM

I feel like this topic was covered when Apple first released Safari. It was reported then that Apple was making coin from the built-in google search.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2008, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
That's not true for the Firefox deal. One could reasonably assume that Apple gets a similar deal...
are you sure Google doesnt just give them a retainer for making Google the default engine?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2008, 02:02 PM

are you sure Google doesnt just give them a retainer for making Google the default engine?
Firefox or Apple? I'm not sure anyone knows the details of the Apple deal, but Google pays Mozilla for being the default and for search traffic.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2008, 02:14 PM

And I thought I was a fanboy

They've made enough money off of me, and this seems to take it to another "unhealthy" level. They're a corporation that makes great products but they do so to make money. Like I said, they've extracted enough of my money, I'm not going to go out of my way to line their pockets even further.
~Mike

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2008, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
That’s there too when you go to google.com and perform a search; the result page always includes your browser (client) in the URL.
I didn't see that before, probably because I'm using google.ca, which simply displays "http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=happy+holidays&btnG=Google+Search&m eta="

Wow things have changed since the beginning... And people dare say we are a cult... I realize people are less loyal than they used to be. If Kawasaki was dead, he would probably be turning in his grave, ashamed...

Originally Posted by Maflynn
They're a corporation that makes great products but they do so to make money. Like I said, they've extracted enough of my money, I'm not going to go out of my way to line their pockets even further.
I don't agree with that. I see it as a company who do things because they want to do it better, and of course they make money in the process. Yes I agree Jobs is a bit of a scrouge, even ripping off his good friend Woz back in the days, but I still believe he's a visionnary more than a businessman. Bill Gates, on the other hand....

Finally, like I said, I don't feel like this is going out of one's way, since it actually saves time! The search field is closer than the bookmark menu, and since I keep it short, I don't have to fumble through a long list. It's like a Top 10 list. AND I feel good doing it.
( Last edited by FireWire; Dec 23, 2008 at 03:05 PM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2008, 05:16 PM

Finally, like I said, I don't feel like this is going out of one's way, since it actually saves time! The search field is closer than the bookmark menu, and since I keep it short, I don't have to fumble through a long list. It's like a Top 10 list. AND I feel good doing it.
This in no way saves time. It takes you to google instead of the page you want.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 23, 2008, 06:52 PM

It looks like you’re basically using it as a bookmarks bar substitute. In which case—you do realise that you can directly access the first nine items in your bookmarks bar by pressing Cmd-1 through 9, right?

I’d say that’s quite a bit faster than going through Google.

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
It looks like you’re basically using it as a bookmarks bar substitute. In which case—you do realise that you can directly access the first nine items in your bookmarks bar by pressing Cmd-1 through 9, right?

I’d say that’s quite a bit faster than going through Google.
Yeah, but these items constantly change position everytime I add a new bookmark! I don't want to clutter my "main page" of bookmark, so I add everything to my bookmark bar, so they automatically go to the second level of the menu.

Anyway, I calculate that since my mouse is more often than not in the top-right area, the 1 second delay introduced by the Google page step is overridden by not having to fumble through the menu to find the bookmark I was looking for. I move my mouse a couple of inches to select the site, then move my mouse toward the middle of the screen to click on the Google result - same as if I used the menu in the first place.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 23, 2008, 08:04 PM

Yeah, but these items constantly change position everytime I add a new bookmark! I don't want to clutter my "main page" of bookmark, so I add everything to my bookmark bar, so they automatically go to the second level of the menu.
You’re talking about the bookmark menu; I was talking about the bookmarks bar. You can easily rearrange items on the bar to keep them in their old positions.

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2008, 08:32 PM

Sorry, I was talking about the bookmark bar menu, in the bookmark menu! Sorry for the confusion! I don't display the actual Bookmark Bar.

The Bookmark menu never changes, but the ⌘1-9 positions from the Bookmark Bar menu do change every time I add a new bookmark. I know it's not the intended use, but I find it more convenient for me (and it loads the menu faster). Anyway, clicking on the bookmark bar would not really be quicker than my method, and Apple would not make a cent.

Anyway, I didn't think my suggestion would stir so much controversy...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2008, 02:06 AM

Anyway, I didn't think my suggestion would stir so much controversy...
Are you kidding? Everything causes controversy here at the good ol' 'NN.

Forum Links
Forum Rules