Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Aackk, files going invisible!!

Aackk, files going invisible!!
darook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2001, 02:51 PM

Ok I've lost 400MB of files more specifically mp3s but in that folder were other files I need to recover. Space wise the computer thinks nothing has happeneed and they are still consuming up the 400MB of space but finder wise I cant find them at all. They were there yesterday and after I shut down my machine and turned it back on today they are missing. Some of the mp3s are still there because they were in playlists on my mp3 player and I can still play them so I know that the file are actually still on my hdd but I cant seem to find them at all and this is disturbing since this has happened before. Does anyone know if it is due to my hdd ? This is actually the first ide hdd I've owned and I'm wondering if I should have just stuck to scsi cause this is really to odd. If anyone knwos how to fix this pls let me know.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2001, 11:54 PM

Sounds like a job for Norton Disk Doctor or DiskWarrior, have you tried these or another recovery tool?
Fist you should give Apple's Disk First Aid a try... though it might not be able to fix it. Next I personally would prefer DiskWarrior cause it's able to mount a preview of the recovered hd before doing the changes and DiskWarrior is great in reconstructing lost directories which seems to be the case.

I don't think your problem is caused by the ide interface.

-

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2001, 01:29 AM

If the files are invisible, you should be able to find them using Find File/Sherlock. For Find File or Sherlock(not Sherlock 2) type the name of one of the files into the search box. Click on the More Choices button. Option-click the popup menu furthest to the left, and select visibility. Start the search. For Sherlock 2, click the popup menu that reads Custom.... In the dialog box, check the file name check box and type the file name there. Under Advanced Options, check the Invisible check box. Start the search. Do you see the files now?

(41)

Forum Links
Forum Rules