Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 2nd Wave ExpanSE/30 ???

2nd Wave ExpanSE/30 ???
jasonyates
Oct 31, 2003, 10:02 PM

Is anyone familiar with this piece of hardware? Apparently it gives the SE/30 four external NuBus slots.. I'm curious to find out how well it works and how it hooks up..

-Jason

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2003, 04:18 PM

I haven't heard of it. The SE/30 was a fine machine for its time, better than all of its compact Mac cousins. I suppose the upgrade to which you refer probably hooks into the SCSI port, because I don't recall anything about a PDS slot in the SE/30. The question is, why would you want Nubus slots? What is such an upgrade possibly worth?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jasonyates  (op)
Nov 1, 2003, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
I haven't heard of it. The SE/30 was a fine machine for its time, better than all of its compact Mac cousins. I suppose the upgrade to which you refer probably hooks into the SCSI port, because I don't recall anything about a PDS slot in the SE/30. The question is, why would you want Nubus slots? What is such an upgrade possibly worth?
The SE/30 does have an 030 PDS slot. It is even possible to attach several PDS cards to it, but physical space is a limiting factor. There is no benefit to NuBus cards in particular, but being able to have any kind of external expansion would allow me to do do interesting things, like run a color video card and a network card (and whatever other NuBus cards I come across) all at once.

-Jason

jasonyates  (op)
Nov 4, 2003, 07:10 PM

Well, there was one of these on eBay, but it ended up going for about 60 bucks. A little too much for me to spend on the old SE/30. Ah well.

-Jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules