Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > DEC 21040/21041 Ethernet on MacOS 8.6

DEC 21040/21041 Ethernet on MacOS 8.6
KianD
Aug 11, 2004, 08:35 AM

Hi

I've got a Power Macintosh 5400 (US version) running MacOS 8.6 and BeOS 5.03. The MacOS install on it is in very poor condition - it was installed using an iMac with 8.5's restore CD, as far as I can tell. The 8.5.1 and the 8.6 updates installed fine though.

Anyway, I've got a DEC 21040 or 21041 10Mbps Ethernet card in it. I need to use this card under BeOS as its the sole PCI Ethernet card that BeOS on PowerPC supports.

However, it seems that MacOS 8.6 doesn't have built in support for this card. And DEC no longer exist, and HP aren't supporting products as old as this.

Has anyone here got a DEC card working under 8.6? And if so, could they send me the driver (and some instructions of how to install it, MacOS isn't my forte, being a SGI user at heart)

Thanks

KianD  (op)
Aug 11, 2004, 08:40 AM

Its a 21041, made by Farallon. Just fought the system board out of the machine to check...

KianD  (op)
Aug 11, 2004, 09:29 AM

http://www.proxim.com/support/all/ne...01-08-09d.html

Search function here found me the info I needed - that Proxim had bought Farallon. And, unlike most companies, Proxim support the products made by the firms they purchase.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2004, 10:26 AM

Welcome to the boards, Kian! First three posts in the same thread, and you even resolved your own issue. That has to be a record of some sort. I do have two questions, though: How can you cope with using a 5400, and can you do anything useful with BeOS?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

KianD  (op)
Aug 11, 2004, 01:39 PM

The 5400 is, well, a "step down" from my current usual system (1.7Ghz Intel), but its faster than my former normal machine, a 100Mhz SGI Indy.

Because BeOS is pure PPC (8.6 still has a lot of emulated 68K stuff in it, much less than 8.5 and below though) its actually still pretty fast on the little 180Mhz 603ev. I can use it for basic web browsing and mail and not much more - the browser hasn't got JavaScript, Java, etc. And Mozilla only works on BeOS on Intel.

I am however considering a "return" to the Mac - the eMac and the lowest Powerbook are both fairly affordable these days.

Forum Links
Forum Rules