Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > A-Dock for OS X is out.

A-Dock for OS X is out.
Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2002, 01:05 PM

A-Dock X is out, but it's in beta form not final. It acts similar to OS X dock...but better. Plus it has SPRING LOADED FEATURE!!! What most people wanted OS X dock to have.

Check it out here:

http://jerome.foucher.free.fr/ADock.html

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2002, 01:54 PM

It is awesome. In some respects it does fall short... like it would be nice if it somehow animated the applications launching like the dock does. It would also be nice if there were an option to have non-permenant apps not be divided into another section. Also be nice if divider color/opacity could be changed. It also doesn't seem to work right with two-button mice. Not to mention it will run over the edge of the screen instead of shrinking. But aside from all that its wonderful... skins are a great touch. I'd much rather pay for this than skin-a-dock... the funny part is skin-a-dock skins work better with A-Dock than the Dock.

Fantastic. Just needs an option to add a trash can.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2002, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by invisibleX:
It is awesome. In some respects it does fall short... like it would be nice if it somehow animated the applications launching like the dock does. It would also be nice if there were an option to have non-permenant apps not be divided into another section. Also be nice if divider color/opacity could be changed. It also doesn't seem to work right with two-button mice. Not to mention it will run over the edge of the screen instead of shrinking. But aside from all that its wonderful... skins are a great touch. I'd much rather pay for this than skin-a-dock... the funny part is skin-a-dock skins work better with A-Dock than the Dock.

Fantastic. Just needs an option to add a trash can.
Well hopefully the final version will be better. And Skin-a-Dock is freeware. A-Dock is compatible with all Skin-A Dock skins. A-Dock won't have magnification or dock bouncing.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2002, 06:49 PM

No, the final version of Skin-A-Dock will be shareware. Its only freeware right now 'cause it barely works.

I can live without magnification, but I think the little triangle should pulse.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2002, 07:18 PM

It's disappointing. Can't put it to the bottom, can't add a harddrive to it, no contextual menus, no trash can.

I don't see the reason for excitement. I was very disspointed by it's early stage.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2002, 07:34 PM

I can live without magnification, but I think the little triangle should pulse.
Damn thats an interesting concept...

tenchi71
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2002, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
It's disappointing. Can't put it to the bottom, can't add a harddrive to it, no contextual menus, no trash can.

I don't see the reason for excitement. I was very disspointed by it's early stage.
Someone didn't RTFM...
Yup, dat's moi...

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2002, 08:37 PM

Do you have to have this 'as well' as the dock?
Or can you kill the dock & use this instead?

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2002, 09:13 PM

I'll let you all in on a little secret - with Mac OSX, Apple includes this handy dandy tool called the "Dock" where it does all this and more! Its really something how it works well and is free!

I mean seriously people, A-dock (at least at this stage) is pointless.

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2002, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
I don't think you can kill the dock.

Contextual Menus work fine with me.

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2002, 09:48 PM

Can you minimize windows and have them go to A-Dock instead of to the standard dock? That's really all that's keeping me in Apple's dock - I never ever use it, but I like to minimize windows occasionally.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2002, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:

Hmm, I put mine on the bottom. I added my harddrive to it. Contextual menus are slightly spotty as they won't work by using the right button on a two-button mouse; you have to control click on hold down an icon.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2002, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
I tried relacing my Dock with this and swapping the name. All I got was a nice blue screen. I might try simply dumping the Dock and all its junk and see what happens. So far only moving it out of coreservices, quiting it and then putting it back will keep it from starting. Since it has no trash can that might not be so wise though.

You can't minimize apps to it so its really useless without the dock open. I would think that wouldn't be very hard to do.

What does it do that the Dock doesn't? Contextual menus, dividers, far more controllable positioning, show desktop item, spring-loaded folders, great hide/show prefs, skins, tool-tips (great for novices). Oh yeah, and it tells you if classic is running to boot.

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2002, 10:05 AM

I tried relacing my Dock with this and swapping the name. All I got was a nice blue screen. I might try simply dumping the Dock and all its junk and see what happens. So far only moving it out of coreservices, quiting it and then putting it back will keep it from starting. Since it has no trash can that might not be so wise though.

You can't minimize apps to it so its really useless without the dock open. I would think that wouldn't be very hard to do.

What does it do that the Dock doesn't? Contextual menus, dividers, far more controllable positioning, show desktop item, spring-loaded folders, great hide/show prefs, skins, tool-tips (great for novices). Oh yeah, and it tells you if classic is running to boot.
It responds to my mouse's right button

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2002, 12:19 PM

.....why?

the whole point of A-dock was to give OS X funtionality to OS 9.... what's the point of A-dock on X?

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2002, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
.....why?

the whole point of A-dock was to give OS X funtionality to OS 9.... what's the point of A-dock on X?
To give more functionality in an OS that has a poor dock? Plus OS X is the wave of the future...he cant stay in OS 9 forever.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2002, 02:00 PM

Not to mention that having two Dock's on your screen is a huge advantage.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2002, 04:51 PM

Hmm, I put mine on the bottom. I added my harddrive to it. Contextual menus are slightly spotty as they won't work by using the right button on a two-button mouse; you have to control click on hold down an icon.
Ahh, didn't see that in the readme,but there were 2 of them.

Tenchi71, SMD
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2002, 05:41 PM

I used A-Dock extensively before I went totaly X, X's Dock 'should' have done the same job, afterall it was the main influence. Alas no, Apple chose to hoble the Dock. No Drag and drop menus what where they thinking.

Apple need's to tahe a close look at this, this is one guy, and he has managed to make something better than the entire team of people doing the OSX Dock.
He has achived this mostely by listening to people who made intelegent sugestions.

Unfortunately A-dock on OSX is hampered by the fact that you have to have Apples as well, so there is loads of duplication (options not to show all running apps would fix this).

Humm there is a MacWorld coming up. Some one should get hold of a senior Apple Dev, and tell them this is how to do a Dock.

poocat
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2002, 12:21 AM

A-dock is EXCELLENT.

for os9.

i used to use it all the time, and it was great, and when i switched to x fulltime, i was greatly surprised at how LITTLE dock customization there was...that's a real shortcoming, i think. more customization options equals BETTER, i'd say.

perhaps you don't use other features.
perhaps you don't want them.
but having MORE people like osx CAN'T BE BAD. and though i like osx, i do have problems using the dock as my catchall tool...

but having to run 2 docks is not my solution.

pc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules