Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Canon XL2 Announced

Canon XL2 Announced
hmurchison2001
Senior User
Jul 13, 2004, 04:18 PM

www.canondv.com

460k effective 16x9 mode.
24P,30P and 60i record rates.
Same body with removable lenses.

Stiff competition for the Panny DVX100A

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2004, 09:27 PM

looks like they got it right.

I wish I had the dough to pick one up

hmurchison2001  (op)
Senior User
Jul 13, 2004, 10:30 PM

You ain't the only one "bruddah". Looks like Canon is going out with a bang. This is supposedly their last high end SD cam. Everything from now end is HD baby!
http://hmurchison.blogspot.com/ highly opinionated ramblings free of charge :)

Nawus
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2004, 12:23 AM

Looks like enough improvements to forgo the XL1S. Too bad about the high price tag.

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2004, 04:28 PM

<<droooooool>>

Well, I'll be getting one soon hopefully, if my current project goes as planned...he he he. Been waiting for this camera...Anybody want to buy a couple GL-2s?
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 08:04 PM

On the specs page it says recording direct to computer is only windows XP compatible. Good or bad?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

brianb
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2004, 10:10 PM

my guess is that it would be only because the wrote software to specifically record to windows. It should show a EE signal into iMovie or FCP just fine when hooked up through the firewire port. Plus there are lots of HD based recording units being made for DV cams in this day and age and everything runs off a certian protocol its called IEEE1394. Canon has never had a problem with Mac compatiblilty in the past

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jul 18, 2004, 06:11 AM

How much is it gonna be?
Can`t find a price anywhere.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

brianb
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2004, 06:18 PM

Canon's Press Release put the MSRP at around 5000 dollars

With that said any decent sized reseller will most likely be a few hundred dollars less

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jul 19, 2004, 03:28 AM

Looks like some people are not impressed at all: XL 2 in real world conditions
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

brianb
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2004, 05:17 PM

Yes of Course it would fail when compared to cameras that they are comparing against. First post pits a DV25 cam against a DVCPro50 Cam. and if that isn't enough the camera body alone (AJ-SDX900) lists at over $26,000. and the cheapest glass from canon for it starts at $4000, then you need to buy viewfinder batteries and Tripod plate. Not a very fair comparison to the $5000 packaged camera.

And yes you will find people that just plain don't like Canon Cameras. Just Like I perfer an Ikegami Tech monitor over a Sony Tech monitor. It is all prefrence.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2004, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by brianb:
Yes of Course it would fail when compared to cameras that they are comparing against. First post pits a DV25 cam against a DVCPro50 Cam. and if that isn't enough the camera body alone (AJ-SDX900) lists at over $26,000. and the cheapest glass from canon for it starts at $4000, then you need to buy viewfinder batteries and Tripod plate. Not a very fair comparison to the $5000 packaged camera.

And yes you will find people that just plain don't like Canon Cameras. Just Like I perfer an Ikegami Tech monitor over a Sony Tech monitor. It is all prefrence.
Some of the posters are comparing the XL2 to the DVX100, and preferring the Panasonic. At this point in time, I would still be inclined to go with the DVX + 16:9 adapter, unless one is really dead-set on using other lenses.

That said, it would be prudent to wait until the XL2s get out and into the hands of the experts and reviewers - when we will start seeing side-by-side comparisons with the DVX100 - before drawing any firm conclusions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules