Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Does this mean no new MBP?

Does this mean no new MBP?
Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2008, 04:16 PM

I've been holding out for so long...

iampivot
Jan 15, 2008, 04:59 PM

There will prob be MBP updates within the next month...

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 05:00 PM

or two.

The update will not be a large one, I'd say go for the purchase now and enjoy the mac now.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2008, 09:47 PM

I was bummed to hear about the keynote. Many had expected an update to the MBP, and it didn't come to fruition. The "Airbook" as I'm going to call it, was neat and all, but where's the "niche" for it? Non-replaceable RAM, HD or battery? I wouldn't touch one of those with a ten foot pole. The regular Macbook already has the goods, AND you can replace all of the above plus a built in drive and it has a full compliment of ports.

Anyway, I guess I'll go ahead and buy a MBP, knowing full well that an update will come for sure that way, and just get back to Macs sooner rather than wait.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 09:51 PM

Thanks. I've been wanting to get a MBP, but I have to wait until somebody I know buys one so an update will come.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 09:52 PM

What type of update to the MBP line were you expecting. It was just refreshed 6 months ago.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 15, 2008, 10:06 PM

I know what Chuckit's talking about. I got my Core Duo MBP and then Apple came out with the Core 2 Duo just weeks later. So the next time I get ready to buy a laptop, I'm going to get a friend really stoked about the same model and get him to get it first. I'm bad. Really bad.

Don't expect a big update-probably a new processor speed range (not much difference from old to new) and/or maybe a minor video upgrade (he said, guessing his butt off).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2008, 10:54 PM

What type of update to the MBP line were you expecting. It was just refreshed 6 months ago.
For a "premium" laptop, a video card that's actually competitive with other offerings in 2008 would be nice. The 8600GT isn't exactly what other laptops in that price range are using...
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2008, 12:55 AM

Updates to MBP processor are based on Intel timelines, not Apple. They will not wait for a processor bump to MW if they can get it sooner and that bump is Intel , not Apple, so they quietly announce those upgrades. MW is for things Apple accomplished, not Intel. It was different for PowerPC, since Apple had a stake in that.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2008, 08:12 AM

The new Intel CPUs are already available: 45nm Penryn with SSE4, running on the current Crestline chipset.

T9500 - 2.6 / 6MB / 800 MHz - TDP 35 W - $530 -> high-end 15", 17"
T9300 - 2.5 / 6MB / 800 MHz - TDP 35 W - $316 -> low-end 15"
T8300 - 2.4 / 3MB / 800 MHz - TDP 35 W - $241 -> MB
T8100 - 2.1 / 3MB / 800 MHz - TDP 29 W - $209 -> MB

If Apple doesn't want to use this for an udate (which I can hardly imagine) the next possibility will be the Cantiga chipset and Penryn refresh in May: 1067 MHz FSB, 2.8 GHz CPU at 35W TDP, Intel X4500 graphics, etc. That will also bring us the quad-core "mobile" Penryn QX9300, but at a TDP of 45W it won't show up in the MBP. The iMac is another story...

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2008, 12:25 PM

It would seem to make sense that the update to the "pro" model laptop should also include the updated track pad that is on the macbook air. At least that is what I'm hoping for.

Does anyone think the design of the air will influence a case re-design of the MBP? Thinnner toward the latch and fatter toward the back? I know it wont be nearly as light as the air but I like that design(except I'd at least want a removable battery)

imdipped
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2008, 03:19 PM

With the next Intel chip to be launched in May, with lower TDP’s
Intel to launch 15 Montevina CPUs in May
I would expect Apple to put the current Penryn variant in the existing MBP soon and come out with a redesign to make use of the lower TDP’s in the new chip.

What I think Apple is moving to is their fixation with thinner is better, more wireless, less ports, less access, less user replaceable components. It’s bad enough now that you can’t easily replace the hard drive. I think the plan is moving toward when your battery dies you buy a new notebook. I think the current MBP is the last one that I’m going to be content with as an all around general purpose machine. I would like to be wrong.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by imdipped View Post
With the next Intel chip to be launched in May, with lower TDP’s
Intel to launch 15 Montevina CPUs in May
I would expect Apple to put the current Penryn variant in the existing MBP soon and come out with a redesign to make use of the lower TDP’s in the new chip.
Those 22mm^2 chips are for the MacBook Air, not the MacBook Pro. Apple isn't going to go backward on clockrate.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Those 22mm^2 chips are for the MacBook Air, not the MacBook Pro. Apple isn't going to go backward on clockrate.
Exactly. The MB and MBP will stay with the 35 mm^2 Penryns with TDPs between 25-35W. Expect the 44W TDP Penryn X9000 on the iMac though.

IMHO in terms of MB(P) CPUs the only question is if Apple will go with Penryn right away or if they are actually considering to wait for Cantiga and the Penryn refresh in May. I seriously hope it's the former.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Thanks. I've been wanting to get a MBP, but I have to wait until somebody I know buys one so an update will come.
I don't know if I count as somebody you know, but I bought a MBP yesterday, which means that an update will come within the next 4 weeks!

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2008, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Does anyone think the design of the air will influence a case re-design of the MBP? Thinnner toward the latch and fatter toward the back? I know it wont be nearly as light as the air but I like that design(except I'd at least want a removable battery)
Yes, I think this is where Apple is heading to. The current MBP design IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD, soon the most long lived design in Apple's history of the last 10-15 years at least, beating even the previous iBook design that lasted 5 years too. How I know this? I don't know it, but it is highly improbable that Apple will introduce a completely redesigned MBP so soon after the MBA. It is pretty certain that we will go well beyond 5 years with the Aluminum MBP design. Hopefully the redesign is coming this year.

Nawus
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
I don't know if I count as somebody you know, but I bought a MBP yesterday, which means that an update will come within the next 4 weeks!
I too just purchased a MBP today so let the countdown begin!

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
It would seem to make sense that the update to the "pro" model laptop should also include the updated track pad that is on the macbook air. At least that is what I'm hoping for.

Hear hear. At this point I expect that to be in the updates for both the MB and MBP.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by imdipped View Post
What I think Apple is moving to is their fixation with thinner is better, more wireless, less ports, less access, less user replaceable components. It’s bad enough now that you can’t easily replace the hard drive. I think the plan is moving toward when your battery dies you buy a new notebook. I think the current MBP is the last one that I’m going to be content with as an all around general purpose machine. I would like to be wrong.
I HIGHLY doubt that Apple's MacBook Pro will move to "less ports, less access, less user replaceable components." The MacBook Air is a SUBNOTEBOOK. The MacBook Pro is NOT.

They may make the machine thinner, but I don't think they'll make the battery non-user replaceable.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2008, 11:30 PM

Please Apple, give me some Penryn goodness.

Mr. Anderson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2008, 10:26 PM

Yes. It means no new MacBook Pro. Ever.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2008, 04:07 AM

Patience fellow MacNNer's.

I too am In the market to replace my CD MBP, but don't mind the wait.

What's peoples take on the smaller packaging that the MBA CPU uses? Personally I think this could lead to some really cool stuff down the line. Maybe making it easier to implement the Mobile Quad Cores when they come out, or my personal favorite internal hardware raid 1 or 0. Just think if Apple stayed with the same form factor while using the smaller type of packaging for the CPU there would be quite a bit of room left for other things.

Cheers
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

Forum Links
Forum Rules