Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" High Res Glossy LED Backlit screen - any opinions out there?

17" High Res Glossy LED Backlit screen - any opinions out there?
spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2008, 10:00 PM

Dumb question - I am sure there are some opinions - I just want to hear them. Is it worth the $100 to upgrade the 17" to the glossy LED backlit 1920x1200 resolution? I really like the idea of more screen real estate...

Thanks!
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

tridentinecanon
Apr 1, 2008, 10:02 PM

IMO, I always think that more/better "screen" is the best upgrade you can make, physical space permitting.

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2008, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by tridentinecanon View Post
IMO, I always think that more/better "screen" is the best upgrade you can make, physical space permitting.
That's my thinking too (plus the LED backlight was a plus for me too). I just don't think I could deal with the 1920 resolution on a 15" screen - I think this would be way too small.

Thanks...

I would like to hear from owners of both versions of the latest MBP 17" screen types...

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2008, 11:57 PM

I love mine, I wouldn't trade it for any other Mac out there.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2008, 04:38 AM

On a 17" I would consider 1920x1200, on a 15" I wouldn't. At least not until I get a fully resolution independent UI.

But the LED-backlit option is a very sweet deal. Once you see the difference between LED and CCFL (brightness, even lighting) you'll never want to go back.

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2008, 07:33 AM

Just out of curiosity - what backlight technology do they use on the current generation iMacs? Is it LED or CCFL?

I at the Apple store a couple weeks ago dropping off my PB G4 17" for service, and was checking out Aperture on the 24" iMac. That image was absolutely stunning to me!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2008, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post
Just out of curiosity - what backlight technology do they use on the current generation iMacs? Is it LED or CCFL?
CCFL. The only Macs right now with LED backlighting are the MBA, the 15" MBP and the 17" MBP with the BTO option. The MB, the iMac, and the ACDs are still CCFL. Apple will certainly switch those too eventually, but for economic reasons they haven't done so across the board yet.

I at the Apple store a couple weeks ago dropping off my PB G4 17" for service, and was checking out Aperture on the 24" iMac. That image was absolutely stunning to me!
The 24" iMac has a beautiful screen. You really can't compare it to the screen of a portable Mac though. The additional space allows larger and brighter backlights in the iMac. Plus of course the panel itself is different.

But don't worry, a brand new 17" MBP with LED backlight will be much brighter than your old 17" PB G4 is now (CCFLs brightness reduces with time).

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2008, 08:02 AM

I'm not expecting the quality of the 24" on a 17" - I just wondered if those were LED backlit. The size considerations make sense regarding the brightness, though.

I did notice one thing on that 24", though. They have an app running on most/all of the machines in the apple store, which leaves a static set of icons right in the middle of the screen (I think this is for setting up Genius Bar appoinments?). When I fired up Aperture, I could see a "ghost" of these icons on the images in Aperture. Are these things subject to "burn in" like CRT and plasma displays? Or was this just a flaw in the sample I saw? I looked at a lot of the iMacs, and none of the others showed this "ghost".

Fusion
Senior User
Apr 2, 2008, 12:37 PM

I have the 17" 1920 LED and its by far the most incredible display I've ever used on a Mac. The high DPI makes OS X look incredibly gorgeous.

Also, I owned the 17" 1920 non-LED and the LED version has corrected all of my issues with it such as poor calibration and uneven illumination.

I would highly recommend getting the matte screen though. The newer matte screens aren't the same as the old ones, they're just the glossy screens with a nice thin coat of anti-glare ... so they still appear fairly glossy but then they have reduced glare. The full on glossys can be a bit maddening.

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
I would highly recommend getting the matte screen though. The newer matte screens aren't the same as the old ones, they're just the glossy screens with a nice thin coat of anti-glare ... so they still appear fairly glossy but then they have reduced glare. The full on glossys can be a bit maddening.
Maybe I misread the specs. I thought the LED option was only available with the glossy screen?

EDIT: Nevermind - I just looked back at the store - I do see that there is a non-glossy version too. I already placed my order for glossy (Apple is replacing my PB with a new 17" MBP, and I paid the $100 difference for the high-res screen. I suspect it is too late to change it).

riverbass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2008, 02:17 PM

I've had my 17" MBP LED backlit screen for a couple weeks now and love it. Besides looking great the LED screen runs cool as ice and the battery last longer, hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine.

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by riverbass View Post
I've had my 17" MBP LED backlit screen for a couple weeks now and love it. Besides looking great the LED screen runs cool as ice and the battery last longer, hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine.
Thanks for the feedback - did you get glossy or matte?

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2008, 08:31 PM

I've gone glossy on my last two Macbooks and I really like it. I think the image looks sharper. I don't have a problem with glare at all. If I were spending time outside with my laptop I might consider the non-glossy, but my Mac's stay indoors 99% of the time.

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2008, 08:47 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided to stick with the glossy screen on my soon to arrive MBP. (At least I hope so - I think I have thoroughly confused the CS rep by asking if there was still time to switch to matte, and then emailing back and asking to leave it glossy). If they switch it after all of this, I won't mind.

This is actually an Apple replacement of my failing 17" PB G4 1.67. I was stunned when they offered to replace it - so I can't complain ONE IOTA whether it is glossy or matte! I am just thrilled to be getting a new computer! The wait is going to kill me though while I suffer with our old eMachines Windows laptop.

Thanks again
( Last edited by spiff72; Apr 3, 2008 at 07:32 AM. )

shrugs*
Apr 3, 2008, 12:52 AM

Damn, NICE replacement!! Have fun
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

Forum Links
Forum Rules