Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Backup OS for laptop on long trip?

Backup OS for laptop on long trip?
jeff k
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2014, 03:17 PM

I may go on a 2-5 month trip with my Macbook air 11"

I'm tempted to have a clone of the os with me, but veer against it only because if it got stolen, someone would then have all my email contacts. Any opinions? Just risk it and travel without an OS backup?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2014, 04:18 PM

If you are concerned about access to your data after theft,

a) use FileVault and
b) turn off automatic login, and
c) require a password after sleep

on both the laptop and the cloned OS.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2014, 04:55 PM

thanks S,
I do #2 when I travel (which I don't do at home)

File Vault, always been scared of it a bit — how does that work again with a laptop and can it be used with an external hardrive?

Require password after sleep, where is that feature, thanks!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2014, 05:21 PM

All where you'd expect: system preferences --> security.

Read up on FileVault in the help menu.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2014, 07:12 PM

Will do S. thanks, but again -- all this will work with an external hard drive?

An external hard drive does not have it's own system prefs, right? (for file vault)

Took a quick peek and can't find ask for password after sleep, looked energy saver, users, screensaver, and displays.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2014, 12:37 AM

He mentioned already that it is in System Preferences->Security.

Do you see the search bar in the top right of System Preferences? It is for searching for keywords inside the preference panes.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2014, 01:34 PM

Abba, keywords? Don't follow
Ok, let it go. this is an external hardrive, not a computer. I don't think the system prefs apply.

akent35
Banned
Mar 28, 2014, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
Will do S. thanks, but again -- all this will work with an external hard drive?

An external hard drive does not have it's own system prefs, right? (for file vault)

Took a quick peek and can't find ask for password after sleep, looked energy saver, users, screensaver, and displays.
Jeff,

When you open the System Preferences Pane, the top row has 8 icons (in Mavericks). The 6th one, counting from the left, is entitled "Security & Privacy". When you click that, there are 4 "tabs": General, FileVault, Firewall, and Privacy. You should be able to use those to secure the external hard drive.

You can use File Vault to encrypt any drive on a Mac, whether internal or external (you can even do it for Flash Drives). And, besides doing it via System Preferences, you can do it via other means. Here is a link that shows the results from a google search on "Encrypting an external hard drive connected to a Mac":

https://www.google.com/search?q=Encr...x-a&channel=sb

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2014, 02:36 PM

thanks A, great info, just a right click and encrypt! Done. no file vault needed, right?

What about that idea of P, have the computer encrypt after sleep? Can't find that.

All said, I still may not bring the external. The idea is if the laptop was stolen on a 2-5 month trip. I could buy another airbook on the road. Would you bother with that idea? Maybe over worry...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2014, 03:05 PM

"Require password <x minutes> after sleep or screen saver begins"

akent35
Banned
Mar 28, 2014, 04:09 PM

thanks A, great info, just a right click and encrypt! Done. no file vault needed, right?

What about that idea of P, have the computer encrypt after sleep? Can't find that.

All said, I still may not bring the external. The idea is if the laptop was stolen on a 2-5 month trip. I could buy another airbook on the road. Would you bother with that idea? Maybe over worry...
You're welcome! Also, it looks like Spheric Harlot answered your question about a password.

As for whether or not to bring an external drive with you, part of that decision, of course, depends upon whether the information on the Macbook Air is needed or not, and how much of it is (even if its drive is encrypted). For example, if you use Quicken to keep track of various accounts, and you update it often, a backup of it on your encrypted external drive (via a full boot able backup of everything on your boot drive) would make it easy to do a restore to the new machine. If though you will be using the Macbook Air for "non-essential" things (whatever that means), then you could probably leave the external drive at home.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2014, 06:04 PM

THANKS A.
Well, I'm generally not doing critical work, still 2-5 months is awhile, maybe it it is a good idea to back up to an external, and then you have the external if the laptop were stolen or lost, no? Mostly email, but maybe a little work.

This require a password after lock in nice huh? Sometimes you are on the road, and while you will shut down, and disable auto log in, and leave the laptop at the hotel... often you will let it sleep while traveling around (in your backpack), and boom, it could get stolen then.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2014, 07:36 PM

…which is why you set it to require a password after sleep.

What are you asking?

akent35
Banned
Mar 28, 2014, 07:37 PM

THANKS A.
Well, I'm generally not doing critical work, still 2-5 months is awhile, maybe it it is a good idea to back up to an external, and then you have the external if the laptop were stolen or lost, no? Mostly email, but maybe a little work.

This require a password after lock in nice huh? Sometimes you are on the road, and while you will shut down, and disable auto log in, and leave the laptop at the hotel... often you will let it sleep while traveling around (in your backpack), and boom, it could get stolen then.
Hopefully, your external drive is narrow, that is, a 2.5" drive in a nice, small case. I have a 13" Mac Book Air, and when I swapped the (slow) 2.5" 1 TB drive in my Mac Mini for a 256 Gig Samsung SSD, I installed the 1 TB drive in a slim external case. I subsequently purchased a "pouch" for it, and it is definitely small enough. When my wife and I went to London over the holidays to visit our oldest son, and also when we went on a cruise at the end of January, it was very convenient to have the slim external drive. Besides a complete backup of everything on the Air's 256 Gig drive, I also had a partition that contained quite a few movies and videos, for both my wife and I. We were thus not bored on the flights back and forth, and also on some evenings when we did not have much to do.

If your external drive is that small, you could easily hide it somewhere, so that it could not get stolen. If you just need only 1 partition for a bootable backup, that is OK too. As to which back up software to use, there is, of course, Time Machine. I have never used it, so maybe someone else can chime in here about that program, along with doing a restore. Myself, I use Super Duper. If I ever encountered a situation where my Mac Book Air was stolen, and I purchased a new one, I could attach the external drive to it. Then, via pressing the Option key while starting up the new Air, the Startup Manager would appear, and I could then select the (bootable) back up from the external drive, and start up from it. From there, I could reformat the Air's Internal Drive via Disk Utility, and then use Super Duper (on the external OS partition) to do a copy to the Air's internal drive (and making it bootable). Then, select that drive to boot from, and I'd be ready to go.

I suspect there is, most likely, a similar simple procedure for using a Time Machine backup also.
( Last edited by akent35; Mar 28, 2014 at 07:56 PM. )

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2014, 09:04 PM

thanks A, good idea partition. I have an old 80BG external, but there are now 500gb for $50.
So I could make the partition for the OS and have the rest for photo back up.

Movies! Hey where do you download movies from, and how much space to they take? maybe I'll get the 1TB...

I also use SD, it's the best. great ideas...

Correct, very small probability it would be lost or stolen, but you never know ... I bet the airs are a lot more expensive in other countries, going to east europe.

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2014, 09:54 AM

thanks S,
I do #2 when I travel (which I don't do at home)
To quote the great Beavis & Butthead, "uh huh huh huh huh..."
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2014, 01:15 PM

Abba, keywords? Don't follow
Ok, let it go. this is an external hardrive, not a computer. I don't think the system prefs apply.
There is a search bar in the top right of System Preferences window. You can type words in there which are generally called keywords.

Type in Lock Screen and it shows you exactly where those keywords exist inside System Preferences.

You do not always have to type in Lock Screen. You can type in whatever you are looking for.

akent35
Banned
Mar 29, 2014, 01:58 PM

thanks A, good idea partition. I have an old 80BG external, but there are now 500gb for $50.
So I could make the partition for the OS and have the rest for photo back up.

Movies! Hey where do you download movies from, and how much space to they take? maybe I'll get the 1TB...

I also use SD, it's the best. great ideas...

Correct, very small probability it would be lost or stolen, but you never know ... I bet the airs are a lot more expensive in other countries, going to east europe.
Yeah, the airs in other countries are definitely more expensive than here. In fact, you'll most likely have to go to an Apple store to get one (don't think mail order would work, and not sure about retail stores like Best Buy, etc.). I got my 13" Air, with 256 gig SSD, at Best Buy last Columbus Day for only $1099 + tax! That was (and still is) the lowest price I have seen for it. When we were in England recently, I stopped in an Apple Store there, and they did have a 13" Air like mine "on sale". But it was over $1300! Hopefully, you will not need to replace yours.

As for an external drive, right now, newegg has a 1 TB Western Digital on sale for $59.99:

Newegg.com - Western Digital Elements 1TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive WDBUZG0010BBK-NESN Black

(It says $69.99, but there is a "coupon code" you can use from them for $10). You'll still need to get a slim external case, though. I would recommend this one (I have it):

http://www.amazon.com/Screw-Less-ORI.../dp/B00B0RD2RA

It works great, and is light and slim.

For disk drive prices, you should keep checking the site dealmac.com every day. They constantly have various types of storage on sale, from various vendors.

For partitioning, if your internal SSD is 128 gig, and assuming it is almost full, then the OS partition on the external drive needs to be at least 140 gig (150 is probably better). You then should have two more partitions, one for your photos, and one for movies (assuming you will "place" some onto that partition). Send me an EMail and we can "talk" more about this.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2014, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by akent35 View Post
I got my 13" Air, with 256 gig SSD, at Best Buy last Columbus Day for only $1099 + tax! That was (and still is) the lowest price I have seen for it. When we were in England recently, I stopped in an Apple Store there, and they did have a 13" Air like mine "on sale". But it was over $1300!
INCLUDING 20% taxes. VAT can be reclaimed when you leave the country to return home.

akent35
Banned
Mar 29, 2014, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
INCLUDING 20% taxes. VAT can be reclaimed when you leave the country to return home.
Actually, the price I quoted was WAY TOO LOW! (I had actually made a guess at the original quoted price, as it's been a while since we were in England). Here is a link to an Apple Store in Finland:

MacBook Air - Buy MacBook Air Notebook Computers - Apple Store (Suomi)

For the same Mac Book Air I got back in October for $1099 + WA State Sales Tax (9.5%), and thus a total of $1203, the one shown on the link is 1349 Euro, which (using the current conversion factor of 1 Euro = $1.38) works out to $1861.62. That price does include a 24% Tax, so the net price (after filing for, and getting back, the tax) is $1414.83.
( Last edited by akent35; Mar 29, 2014 at 03:36 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2014, 03:48 PM

At no discount.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2014, 04:29 PM

Yeah, we get stuff way cheaper than abroad. Brazilians pay double for refrigerators etc, it's the effects of corruption and bad government.

BH has this, no enclosure needed:
HGST 500GB Touro Mobile MX3 USB 3.0 External Hard Disk 0S03452
never heard of this Co, but the review are good.

A-
tips, where do you get your movies?

akent35
Banned
Mar 29, 2014, 05:38 PM

At no discount.
True. But, in Europe, it seems that the only viable place to get a Mac Book Air would be at an Apple store, and rarely (if ever) are there any meaningful discounts on new Apple products at an Apple Store (same here in the US; refurbished is another thing entirely).

At least here, there are other, less expensive places to get new Apple products. The savings, of course, are going to vary, both from place to place, and time of the year. I was lucky in that Bestbuy.com had the Mac Book Air I wanted for $1099 on Columbus Day ONLY, and when I went down to the local Best Buy, they had them in store for the normal Best Buy price of $1234 + Tax (Apple charges $1299 + Tax). But, given their very good price matching policy (have used it successfully quite a few times), I got it for the $1099 + tax price. It wasn't even that cheap any other time, including so-called Black Friday.

akent35
Banned
Mar 29, 2014, 05:41 PM

Yeah, we get stuff way cheaper than abroad. Brazilians pay double for refrigerators etc, it's the effects of corruption and bad government.

BH has this, no enclosure needed:
HGST 500GB Touro Mobile MX3 USB 3.0 External Hard Disk 0S03452
never heard of this Co, but the review are good.

A-
tips, where do you get your movies?
That is an excellent price, especially since it is already inside an enclosure (USB cable is included, too).

PM me about movies.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2014, 06:28 PM

True. But, in Europe, it seems that the only viable place to get a Mac Book Air would be at an Apple store, and rarely (if ever) are there any meaningful discounts on new Apple products at an Apple Store (same here in the US; refurbished is another thing entirely).
Having spent eight years of a previous life working at one of Europe's largest Apple retailers, I have to ask where the hell (or which decade) you get your impressions of Europe from.

akent35
Banned
Mar 29, 2014, 07:07 PM

Having spent eight years of a previous life working at one of Europe's largest Apple retailers, I have to ask where the hell (or which decade) you get your impressions of Europe from.
First of all, it's not where the hell. Maybe it's hell for you, but not for me. And, I guess you live in hell. Also, hellish one, I have done very little computer shopping in Europe. I don't claim to be an expert, oh hellish one, but in some (maybe quite a few) Eastern European countries (where jeff k. is going), the choices could be limited.

Secondly, it's this decade and the last one! I have made 4 trips to various parts of Europe, and just about everything is more expensive than in the US, In some cases, it is ridiculous!

I suspect your "impressions" come from a prior decade or two. You need to get into modern decades.

In stead of making narrow minded statements like you did above, why can't you be a mature person and correct my supposed misunderstandings with some meaningful examples? It could also provide meaningful information to jeff k. But, I guess that is not part of your hellish DNA. Oh, and I forgot. Mature is not part of your vocabulary.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2014, 07:19 PM

Yes, stuff is more expensive here. We have VAT included in all prices, and the cost of the mandatory EU warranty, employee protection, health insurance, and all the other benefits that we enjoy are factored into our prices.

Now, before you go off the rails even more: I was objecting to a single assertion you made, which was that the Apple Store is somehow the only viable place to buy Apple gear in Europe.

I have no idea how on Earth you came to that conclusion, but Apple was online-only in Europe until just a few years ago, and there have been viable alternatives to the Apple Store in Europe for decades, in many cases considerably undercutting Apple's own pricing.

akent35
Banned
Mar 29, 2014, 07:31 PM

Yes, stuff is more expensive here. We have VAT included in all prices, and the cost of the mandatory EU warranty, employee protection, health insurance, and all the other benefits that we enjoy are factored into our prices.

Now, before you go off the rails even more: I was objecting to a single assertion you made, which was that the Apple Store is somehow the only viable place to buy Apple gear in Europe.

I have no idea how on Earth you came to that conclusion, but Apple was online-only in Europe until just a few years ago, and there have been viable alternatives to the Apple Store in Europe for decades, in many cases considerably undercutting Apple's own pricing.
I don't mind your objection, nor even being corrected, but it's the immature way you stated it. It did not serve any real purchase, except to show the type of person you are.

Now, most of the other parts of your explanation are more mature, and way more useful. See, it was not that hard, right? In fact, way more mature than your original hellish characterization.

Moving forward, maybe you could help jeff k. out and let him know about such alternatives in eastern European countries. (You did not say what part (or parts) of Europe you worked in before). This is not a hellish request, just a mature one!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2014, 07:43 PM

Your examples were Finland and the UK, neither of which …

okay: I have little patience for Americans who generalize "Europe" and are extremely wrong in their generalization, and base that on "experience", which obviously wasn't even representative at the time they had it.

Maybe you were using your price comparison as a point to figure that prices where jeff is going will be higher than stateside, and maybe you were talking specifically about EASTERN Europe when mentioning the lack of alternatives to the official Apple Store. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Last I heard, though, Apple didn't even HAVE an Apple Store (not online, nor let alone brick-and-mortar) in a number of Eastern European countries. I believe it was Hungary though I'm not sure, but it was news a little while ago that they finally got an "official" online store up and running, though they actually ran it through a third party. The Apple Store page only lists online stores for Hungary, Czech Republic, and Poland (well, and Russia). Chances are that in Eastern Europe, a reseller is going to be your ONLY choice for getting at Apple gear at all.

akent35
Banned
Mar 30, 2014, 01:08 AM

Your examples were Finland and the UK, neither of which …
OK, I am going to set the record straight with you, so listen up, and pay attention.

okay: I have little patience for Americans who generalize "Europe" and are extremely wrong in their generalization, and base that on "experience", which obviously wasn't even representative at the time they had it.
I have absolutely no patience with narrow minded folks who make inappropriate, inaccurate remarks directed at me, and also from immature folks. You "hellish, decade" characterizations are not acceptable, neither now, nor ever. Make sure that does not happen again. As it is, and again what is so clearly apparent, is that such garbage has added nothing to the subject being discussed at all. Not sure what you were trying to accomplish, other than revealing the type of "person" you are. Well, congratulations! You did exactly that! (I will say that most of the information in your subsequent two posts have been informative, and stated in a mature manner).

Also, I have provided a specific example of the substantial difference in prices. You have yet to provide one, yet you "claim" to have knowledge about this. Well, put your money where you mouth is, and prove it.

Additionally, my experience is based on the following:

1. Since 2008 (recent enough for you?), my wife and I have made 5 trips to Europe, visiting London, Wales, Belgium, Paris, Southern France, Italy, the Czech Republic, Italy, Germany, and Switzerland (Zurich, Geneva, and 3 other cities in that lovely country). In each instance, we witnessed how expensive food, clothing, transportation, hotels, utilities, etc. are, especially compared to the US.

2. Our daughter-in-law (married to our oldest son) is originally Czech-German, having grown up there. We have owned 2 German Cars (a BMW, and a Mercedes), and she said that US prices for such vehicles are less expensive than in Europe. And, again being first hand witnesses, gas is SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive.

3. Our oldest son has been living in London for the past 15 months, and he tells us all the time how expensive it is. When my wife and I went and visited him over Christmas, that was definitely the case.

So, don't tell me I have no recent experience with this.

Maybe you were using your price comparison as a point to figure that prices where jeff is going will be higher than stateside, and maybe you were talking specifically about EASTERN Europe when mentioning the lack of alternatives to the official Apple Store. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
Yes, that is what I was doing. And, based on the links I provided below, that seems to be the case.

Last I heard, though, Apple didn't even HAVE an Apple Store (not online, nor let alone brick-and-mortar) in a number of Eastern European countries. I believe it was Hungary though I'm not sure, but it was news a little while ago that they finally got an "official" online store up and running, though they actually ran it through a third party. The Apple Store page only lists online stores for Hungary, Czech Republic, and Poland (well, and Russia). Chances are that in Eastern Europe, a reseller is going to be your ONLY choice for getting at Apple gear at all.
Well, well, you are finally making some useful statements here! Raise the flag, you are "mature" after all! Here are two links that kind of support what you are saying:

https://locate.apple.com/country

https://locate.apple.com/europe/en/

jeff k, this should help you. Let's just hope you will not need to use any of this!

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2014, 02:25 AM

Guys, let it go.
this is minor tangent. The odds of me needing to buying a new macbook air while traveling is slim, and if I'm in Hungary or Albania, I'll deal with it then!
You are both super smart, don't waste your energy on this side issue!

akent35
Banned
Mar 30, 2014, 02:39 AM

Guys, let it go.
this is minor tangent. The odds of me needing to buying a new macbook air while traveling is slim, and if I'm in Hungary or Albania, I'll deal with it then!
You are both super smart, don't waste your energy on this side issue!
Glad to, jeff. Hopefully, you'll have a safe, enjoyable trip.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2014, 05:52 AM

Also, I have provided a specific example of the substantial difference in prices. You have yet to provide one, yet you "claim" to have knowledge about this. Well, put your money where you mouth is, and prove it.
If you're going to argue, it's prudent to make sure you know what you're arguing against. Prices in Europe are higher than in the United States. Duh, obvious, yes, much discussed, given. WE KNOW. However, they're not *that much* higher when you remember to subtract sales tax, which you hadn't.

I pointed that out.

Additionally, my experience is based on the following:

1. Since 2008 (recent enough for you?), my wife and I have made 5 trips to Europe, visiting London, Wales, Belgium, Paris, Southern France, Italy, the Czech Republic, Italy, Germany, and Switzerland (Zurich, Geneva, and 3 other cities in that lovely country). In each instance, we witnessed how expensive food, clothing, transportation, hotels, utilities, etc. are, especially compared to the US.

2. Our daughter-in-law (married to our oldest son) is originally Czech-German, having grown up there. We have owned 2 German Cars (a BMW, and a Mercedes), and she said that US prices for such vehicles are less expensive than in Europe. And, again being first hand witnesses, gas is SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive.

3. Our oldest son has been living in London for the past 15 months, and he tells us all the time how expensive it is. When my wife and I went and visited him over Christmas, that was definitely the case.

So, don't tell me I have no recent experience with this.
This is all wonderful, and it is rather well-known that London is one of the most expensive cities in the world, and gasoline is taxed to hell and back here. New York City (which is in the United States AFAIK) is significantly more expensive than Hamburg, where I have lived for the past twenty years.

I don't understand why you are running past me flailing your internet penis on these points: I have in no way disputed them. In fact, I even suggested explanations as to WHY this is so.

Yes, that is what I was doing. And, based on the links I provided below, that seems to be the case.

Well, well, you are finally making some useful statements here! Raise the flag, you are "mature" after all! Here are two links that kind of support what you are saying:

https://locate.apple.com/country

https://locate.apple.com/europe/en/
What you have there is the WEBSITE locator.

Here's the one for the SALES PRESENCE:
Country Selector - Apple Store (U.S.)

akent35
Banned
Mar 30, 2014, 11:55 AM

If you're going to argue, it's prudent to make sure you know what you're arguing against. Prices in Europe are higher than in the United States. Duh, obvious, yes, much discussed, given. WE KNOW. However, they're not *that much* higher when you remember to subtract sales tax, which you hadn't.
Man, you have exhibited another "trait": You can't read! The example I gave above of the price in the Finland Apple Store specifically included the subtraction of the 24% tax.

But, once again I state that you need to provide a specific example of the price at an Apple reseller. I also did that above, with my Best Buy purchase. To use your own words, AFAIK, Best Buy is an Apple reseller.

New York City (which is in the United States AFAIK) is significantly more expensive than Hamburg, where I have lived for the past twenty years.
Wow, you actually know some geography! Will wonders ever cease?

I don't understand why you are running past me flailing your internet penis on these points: I have in no way disputed them. In fact, I even suggested explanations as to WHY this is so.
Yup, I'm flailing my internet penis past your internet pussy! Man, are you ever immature!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2014, 01:15 PM

You done yet?

It was that I asked where the hell you'd got the impression that the Apple Store was the only viable place to buy hardware in Europe that got you flying off the hook and calling me "narrow-minded" and "immature", taking it ad hominem from there on out. I suspect, from the way you harped on about how I must live in hell or whatever, that the use of that word is what got your goat. I apologize if that is the case.

I never disputed that products are more expensive here, and I really wouldn't, because I know why, and I'd rather have it this way.

The Apple Store is by no means the only viable option for buying Apple gear in Europe, and in fact, in the areas Jeff will be traveling, it probably isn't an option AT ALL.

Pretty much everything else you posted was immaterial, undisputed, completely missed the argument, or was outright insulting.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2014, 01:25 PM

BTW, I got my 16 GB iPad 2 for 250€ (which comes out to $290 +VAT at today's exchange rate) on a super opening sale at a reseller two years ago.

Just, you know, as a data point.

akent35
Banned
Mar 30, 2014, 01:32 PM

You done yet?
No, not yet, as once again, you are not stating things correctly. That seems to be a repeating theme with you. Oh, that's right. It's part of your DNA. Got it!

It was that I asked where the hell you'd got the impression that the Apple Store was the only viable place to buy hardware in Europe that got you flying off the hook and calling me "narrow-minded" and "immature", taking it ad hominem from there on out. I suspect, from the way you harped on about how I must live in hell or whatever, that the use of that word is what got your goat. I apologize if that is the case.
That's part of it. You also insulted me with your "(or which decade)" statement. Once again, I state the essential point: none of that adds anything useful to this thread, and is off topic. Yes, I did initially come back rather strong with "narrow minded" and "immature", but what's amazing is that you continue to exhibit similar traits!

Then, of course, later on you questioned how experienced I was/am. I did clearly state that I have done very little shopping for computer related items in Europe. But, all the other things I mentioned are based on quite a bit of experience.

The Apple Store is by no means the only viable option for buying Apple gear in Europe, and in fact, in the areas Jeff will be traveling, it probably isn't an option AT ALL.
Wow! You are FINALLY contributing something useful to this thread. Way to go! And, it looks like the links we provided for jeff indicate just that.

Pretty much everything else you posted was immaterial, undisputed, completely missed the argument, or was outright insulting.
Hey, quite a bit of what you posted was the same. Remember, you started all this, not me. As the old saying goes, what goes around, comes around!

To end this, just don't say anything else, and don't ever, ever make statements like that to me again, especially when they are off topic. I promise to do the same. If you notice, one of my posts above actually gave you credit for what you pointed out about passwords (useful, on topic post). Unfortunately, you then subsequently posted that "hell/decade" business. Up to that point, I did not say anything that was insulting, immaterial, etc, except the part about Apple Stores being the only option.

akent35
Banned
Mar 30, 2014, 01:33 PM

BTW, I got my 16 GB iPad 2 for 250€ (which comes out to $290 +VAT at today's exchange rate) on a super opening sale at a reseller two years ago.

Just, you know, as a data point.
Good to see that. What was the price for that item in the US, including tax (if applicable to where you live)?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2014, 02:19 PM

$399, excluding taxes.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2014, 02:22 PM

Wow! You are FINALLY contributing something useful to this thread. Way to go! And, it looks like the links we provided for jeff indicate just that.
Third time's the charm apparently, if it took you until now to notice.

akent35
Banned
Mar 30, 2014, 03:23 PM

Third time's the charm apparently, if it took you until now to notice.

Once again, only partially true! Parts of those posts were still laced with inaccuracies about me, and I pointed those inaccuracies out. But, I say let bygones be bygones. OK?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2014, 03:45 PM

First of all, it's not where the hell. Maybe it's hell for you, but not for me. And, I guess you live in hell. Also, hellish one, I have done very little computer shopping in Europe. I don't claim to be an expert, oh hellish one, but in some (maybe quite a few) Eastern European countries (where jeff k. is going), the choices could be limited.
Bwahahahaha

Obviously, you have never heard of the phrase "where / what the hell" before.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2014, 04:44 PM

That's part of it. You also insulted me with your "(or which decade)" statement.
Absolutely not!

I put that in there because the Apple market has changed enormously in the twenty-five years I've been following it. Ten years ago, prices would fluctuate maybe 10-20€ among different resellers. These days, however, resellers occasionally offer discounts in the hundreds of Euros. This is a recent development, and if your experiences were mid-to-late-2000's, you'd have missed it entirely.

You thought I was some arrogant young whipper-snapper throwing age-ist remarks? Hell no.

That does explain why you think I "started it", though.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 30, 2014, 07:06 PM

Can we please get back to Jeff's question? I hate closing threads...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

akent35
Banned
Mar 31, 2014, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Bwahahahaha

Obviously, you have never heard of the phrase "where / what the hell" before.

-t
I've heard of it, and at appropriate times, used it. But, in this case, it was inappropriate, and added nothing to the discussions.

akent35
Banned
Mar 31, 2014, 01:52 AM

Absolutely not!

I put that in there because the Apple market has changed enormously in the twenty-five years I've been following it. Ten years ago, prices would fluctuate maybe 10-20€ among different resellers. These days, however, resellers occasionally offer discounts in the hundreds of Euros. This is a recent development, and if your experiences were mid-to-late-2000's, you'd have missed it entirely.

You thought I was some arrogant young whipper-snapper throwing age-ist remarks? Hell no.

That does explain why you think I "started it", though.
You are getting way better with your posts! See, it was not that difficult!

But yes, I did take the "decade" portion of that statement the wrong way.

So, you apologized for the use of the word "hell", and I apologize for my misunderstanding of your use of the word "decade". In the future, just keep the posts "clean". In fact, all you initially needed to do was to correct my incorrect statement about Apple Stores/Resellers, without any harsh words. (In fact, you have done exactly that in subsequent posts, and I appreciate that, as I'm sure jeff does also).

akent35
Banned
Mar 31, 2014, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Can we please get back to Jeff's question? I hate closing threads...
Glad to. Hopefully, others will do the same! (Actually, his initial question was answered, about external storage for the cloning of the os, and protection of his data).

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 31, 2014, 06:40 AM

I would like to hear from Jeff. Is your question answered? Did it bring up other questions?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2014, 03:23 PM

thanks GH, yes A and S provided great info. The off topic spat is a silly waste of time . But as always this site delivers thanks everyone!

Still wondering if there exist something I can plug into after the battery dies on a plane or train.. will research if that exists.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2014, 03:26 PM

I've heard of it, and at appropriate times, used it. But, in this case, it was inappropriate, and added nothing to the discussions.
I'm sorry, but it's not OUR problem if English is not your first language, and you get all worked up based on your wrong interpretation of an English saying.

I'm going to leave it at that.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules