Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dead Pixel's: LCD or VideoCard or both???

Dead Pixel's: LCD or VideoCard or both???
rotuts
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 06:21 PM

I Thought Id pass on some recent observations on my part. Id been worrying about dead pixels in new apple large monitors for some time as i have had some unpleasant experience with aple and their first 22" flat panel i got for my father long ago as his eye sight was failing at the time.

I had hoped to get a new 23" some day along with a G5. but apple would never commit to my complete satisfaction.

I discoverd and Samsung makes the very same monitor, infact 1 " larger with the same resolutions ( ie no more Dots/inch) tehe samsung was on sale with a $100 rebate at the local Fry's and they told me I could bring it back in 30 days no questions asked.

after much heming and hawing I got it and love it. no dead pixels etc out of the box.

but low and behold, after a day or two i get two intermittent DP's just below two icons on the dock. no big deal.

but didn't I have these from time to time on the old 22" apple? its what 3 - 4 years old? teh very same place. I hooked it up and you betcha, same place.

so there may be a minor componet to thisproblem that comes from the vidoe card?

this is not to say that there is a larger more frequent problem with displays themselve. but maybe, if you have had the monitor for a long time, and the DP come and go, these do, they maybe are originating with the video card?

just some thoughts

rotut

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 07:56 PM

maybe you have dead pixels in your eyes. try visine and post results.

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 08:33 PM

you think?

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2005, 10:23 PM

Theres a problem with the monitor, I'd either take it back to Fry's or warranty it with Samsung, they have a 0 dead pixel policy.
MBP 1.83

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 10:56 PM

this is my point of this thead: maybe some minor pixel errors are card generated? what the chance of dead pixcels in the same the vary same place on two monitors?

rotut

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 12:42 AM

chances are very slim. do you have access to try out a friend's monitor to see if it has the same problem? maybe you could take it to Fry's and see if they'll let you hookup a couple of monitors to see if it's a repeating problem.

I'm guessing it's got to be the monitors bc if it was an error with the graphics card, you'd be missing a whole line of the screen, not just a couple of pixels.

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 11:40 AM

seems too much work to go to frys for the experiment. and the pixels in that area are only two and they come and go.

if a VC must then die for a whole line, then its just and odd thing.

thanks for thinking about it.

rotut

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 28, 2005, 07:12 PM

I'd sooner suspect a software problem, though I see no reason that two single pixels could die in the graphics card's frame buffer. (I see no reason that it would necessarily cause a whole line to fail.)

But yeah, I'd suspect software first.

tooki

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 07:36 PM

Try hooking it up to another computer.

Also, it may just be a couple specks of dust. This happened to me with my iBook. Apparently, you can just swipe them away with your finger or a cloth.

Calli46
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2005, 08:38 PM

Maybe you should give PixelCheck, a freeware, a try. With it, you can check your monitor for any dead pixel (black, white, red, green or blue). Or you could try another LCD monitor.
X0X0X from Calli
--------------------------------
1800 DP/1024MB/180GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules