Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Apple Store Promo

New Apple Store Promo
BugsyJA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2004, 09:52 AM

"Brilliant Savings"
Between March 28, 2004, and June 26, 2004, purchase a Power Mac G5 and a 23-inch Cinema HD Display at the same time � and get $500 back by mail.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...t_savings.html

Looks like the "Memory for Less" Promo has been extended as well.

Between March 28, 2004 through June 26, 2004, customers must purchase qualifying Apple product(s) and additional RAM modules (sticks), in either 256MB, 512MB, or 1GB RAM modules (only DDR333 or DDR400 RAM modules qualify).

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...emory_con.html
( Last edited by BugsyJA; Mar 28, 2004 at 10:54 AM. )

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2004, 12:55 PM

$1,500 for the 23" is a great deal but WTF is going on with the Powermac updates?!

Are we going to see a straight shot to a dual 3.0 ghz? It wouldn't make sense to wait until July to update to 2.5 and then two months later 3.0. The only thing that makes sense now is that we'll see the announcement at WWDC with the lineup consisting of 2.4, 2.6 and 3.0. Immediate delivery of the 2.4 and 2.6 models but a 4-6 week (8-10 in Apple time) delivery of the 3.0. This is the best case scenario I can make out of this.

masugu
Senior User
Mar 28, 2004, 01:47 PM

...Immediate delivery of the 2.4 and 2.6 models but a 4-6 week (8-10 in Apple time) delivery of the 3.0. This is the best case scenario I can make out of this. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree with this assessment. This deal mucks things up. No way would Apple intro any new G5s AND offer such deal no?

Now of course, I am semi-peeved I bought a 20+ CD for my PowerBook use. But what am I saying? I want a 3GHz G5 any way, so I HAVE to wait.

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Mar 28, 2004, 03:58 PM

Wow, I could get the 23" for $1200 if I buy it with a G5.

edit - Bah nevermind, it states employee purchase plan is ineligible. Makes it kind of useless for me then.

LudwigVan123
Mar 28, 2004, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by masugu:
No way would Apple intro any new G5s AND offer such deal no?
One poster at AppleInsider notes that, as stated at the site BugsyJA links to above, this offer is open to any PowerMac purchased. There's no stipulation that it must be one of the three offered now. With that in mind, it appears that Apple's primary goal here is to clear the channel of 23" displays.

Of course, Apple's front page prominantly displaying the PowerMac is a valid counter-argument to this hypothesis.

Perhaps Apple just wants to clear all retail channels, period.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2004, 08:40 PM

That was me, and I got beaten up a bit over it.

In August 13th, 2002, Apple announced the new MDD G4s (2x867, 2x1000, 2x1250) and announced its "Dual Offer" monitor promotion on the same day ($200 of 17" and 22"; $500 off 23") with any G4 purchase (including the just discontinued QuickSilvers: 800/933/2x1000). This was a continuation of Apple's "Crystal Clear Savings" monitor promo (which you saved $300 off a monitor with an 800G4; $400 with a 933; and $500 per 2x1000) that ran from July 9th, 2002 through August 12th, 2003.

So, new announcements within a monitor promotion is not unheard of; eventhough, the display promotion's name has changed.

My guess is Apple just wants to push the HD Cinema Display a little.

New G5s within the next couple weeks, with 2x3.0 GHz coming in late September, but I'm an optimist.

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2004, 10:45 PM

Anybody else here get the feeling that Apple really planned to have some new stuff out by now but ran into problems? The quarter that just finished sure didn't do much to improve their market share. They desperately need to refresh their lineup early in this quarter and actually ship some product. All the focus I see here is on the processors, but I wonder if that's just due to our memories of Motorola. I suspect there may be other difficulties involved.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by The Ancient One:
Anybody else here get the feeling that Apple really planned to have some new stuff out by now but ran into problems? The quarter that just finished sure didn't do much to improve their market share. They desperately need to refresh their lineup early in this quarter and actually ship some product. All the focus I see here is on the processors, but I wonder if that's just due to our memories of Motorola. I suspect there may be other difficulties involved.
Couldn't have said it better...seems like they are pushing "promos" b/c they ran into issues trying to get new stuff out the door. Heck, then even extended the lousy RAM promo.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2004, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
That was me, and I got beaten up a bit over it.

In August 13th, 2002, Apple announced the new MDD G4s (2x867, 2x1000, 2x1250) and announced its "Dual Offer" monitor promotion on the same day ($200 of 17" and 22"; $500 off 23") with any G4 purchase (including the just discontinued QuickSilvers: 800/933/2x1000). This was a continuation of Apple's "Crystal Clear Savings" monitor promo (which you saved $300 off a monitor with an 800G4; $400 with a 933; and $500 per 2x1000) that ran from July 9th, 2002 through August 12th, 2003.

So, new announcements within a monitor promotion is not unheard of; eventhough, the display promotion's name has changed.

My guess is Apple just wants to push the HD Cinema Display a little.

New G5s within the next couple weeks, with 2x3.0 GHz coming in late September, but I'm an optimist.
Yeah, I remember the Back to School sale of last year where they had you buy a NoteBook, Printer, and iPod and you could save up to $300.

Back then everyone was saying that the new PowerBooks weren't going to be released until after the Promo which ended at the end of September.

But guess what?!?! They released the new PowerBooks mid-September and I took advantage of that deal!!!

So it doesn't mean much. Probably just trying to get rid of the 23".
PowerBook G4
1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/BT/APX/Backlit KB

Forum Links
Forum Rules