Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Copying DVD movies

Copying DVD movies
rsgunther
Apr 4, 2004, 04:31 PM

Hey, I have a Powerbook 15" 1.25GHZ with Superdrive. How do I make a backup of my DVD movies? Is it possible with a MAC? I used to be able to do it on a PC with third party software, but now my house is PC free (except for my company's laptop).

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2004, 04:45 PM

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2004, 05:43 PM

big M. small A. small C.

-r.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2004, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by rsgunther:
...Is it possible with a MAC?
Hey newbie... It's spelled Mac. It riles Apple people for some reason when PC people capitalize every letter as if it's an acronym or something. Write back if you succeed in backing up a DVD. I'd like to hear a real world report... sounds a little complex.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

rsgunther  (op)
Apr 4, 2004, 07:24 PM

Sorry I misspelled Mac -- I know it is short for Macintosh -- I just wasn't thinking about it I guess.

Anyway, do I need the DVD2one software? It seems that I should be able to use DVD backup & copy the disc, then burn with Roxio?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2004, 07:29 PM

I made a copy of a DVD just recently. An actual legitimate copy too! Well, semi-legit. Basically, one of my DVDs got scratched and it didn't work right in some places, so I found someone else who had a working copy. I copied it to my hard drive with DVDBackup, compressed it slightly using DVD2oneX, and then burned it to a DVD-R using Toast Titanium. It's not that difficult - I figured it out on my own using the included documentation from DVD2oneX and Toast. The main thing is that you can't just copy them directly because DVD movies that you buy weigh in at nearly 9 GB, whereas a DVD-R only holds 4.4 GB. Compressing using DVD2oneX reduces the size enough to fit it onto a single DVD-R. The reduction in quality isn't even noticeable.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

rsgunther  (op)
Apr 4, 2004, 09:33 PM

I am struggling with this process now. I have ruined 2 discs so far. Burning the 3rd one while I am typing this.

The first time I didn't name the disc correctly.

The second time I set up the disc to be region free (that was the default option) & my player won't read it.

This last time, I named the disc exactly the same as the original and I also unchecked the change region option.

Hopefully it will play correctly this time.

I will advise shortly.

Jaeger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2004, 09:43 PM

I haven’t had any issues using the tools shrink mentioned, but why not use a DVD-RW? No more coasters

rsgunther  (op)
Apr 4, 2004, 09:54 PM

I will switch to DVD-RW.. I just ruined another disc... I am not using DVD2oneX... I just used DVDbackup then Roxio Toast.. but the dvd just won't load up.. it will work as a video_TS folder, but not as a regular DVD-- which is useless in my home DVD player...
What I am missing?

Isn't there a better piece of software that just does it all? I have used much easier software on PC's in the past that just copy it.

Suggestions please.

sugarkane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2004, 02:31 AM

go to macupdates.com and get the nu version of little ripper i't a killa app

toast 6 is a help too!!!

sk

acadian
Senior User
Apr 5, 2004, 04:00 AM

I do this regularly and the problem most people have (assuming they have run DVD Backup and DVD2One correctly) is that they dont hit the "new disk" button in toast. In Toast, make sure you use the Data tab, select DVD Rom and click "new disk'. Then drag your Video_TS folder to the Toast window.
people ruin everything....

nick_coday
Apr 5, 2004, 09:26 AM

This is where I love also having a PC.

There is a free app called DVDShrink. Works wonderfully!
--------------------------------------
15.2" 1.25Ghz AlPBook
512MB RAM, SuperDrive

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2004, 10:15 AM

Also FastDVD Copy also copies DVD's as well.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

kkorn4325
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2004, 02:52 PM

When I back up my dvds with my Apple it is a lot better then when Iuse my pc. the words match up better and the quality is perfect. How long does it take everyone to burn a dvd? 30 to rip 20-30 encode then 1 hour to burn, on my pc its 30 to rip, 15-30 to encode, and 30 to burn.
Dual 2.5 GHz PowerMac G5 1 gig ram, 160 gig HD, Wireless Card
128 mb Videocard Hooked up to 2 monitiors.

Formac Studio TVR
10" Powerbook 180 27.8 mb HD, 14 kb RAM 16 colors and a 3 1/2 disc drive.

1 gig RAM, External 160 GB Firewire drive @ 7200

Stolen: 15" 1.25 G4 Powerbook 80 GB @ 4200, SD,

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2004, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by acadian:
I do this regularly and the problem most people have (assuming they have run DVD Backup and DVD2One correctly) is that they dont hit the "new disk" button in toast. In Toast, make sure you use the Data tab, select DVD Rom and click "new disk'. Then drag your Video_TS folder to the Toast window.
Exactly, in Toast make sure it is a Data DVD not Video DVD.

You only need DVD2OneX if it is the VIDEO_TS file is greater than 4.3GB.
PowerBook G4
1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/BT/APX/Backlit KB

x666
Apr 5, 2004, 08:06 PM

1. Mac The Ripper
2. DVD2one
3. Toast 6

Burned a perfect DVD the first time I tried it. If you use the new version (V1.3) it will allow you to compress larger than 4.7GB on a single DVD.

mattyd
Senior User
Apr 5, 2004, 08:37 PM

haven't tried either of them myself, but saw these today on versiontracker...

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22793

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22715

curmi
Senior User
Apr 5, 2004, 09:48 PM

We really need a Mac version of DVDShrink. DVD2OneX is not as full funtioned, and is rather expensive.

The Windows only DVDShrink is free, gives previews of parts of the DVD, and allows the user to re-author - so build a new DVD with a different default audio or subtitles, remove extras etc.

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2004, 10:01 PM

What would be the difference of using the "Data" button in Toast instead of the "Video" button? I haven't tried using the data button but I have been able to burn a perfect DVD using the video button selection.
Any reply?
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2004, 01:10 AM

I use DVDBackup first. Then I use DVD2oneX. Do Movie only and Constant as options. Check only the longest chapter. You will have better quality but you lose the extras. You might have to mess around with the audio options. Gotta use the full version. The free one won't compress the whole thing if I remember correctly. Then I use DVD Imager to make an ISO. I burn the disk using Apple's built in Disk Copy. Long process but I've never had a problem. Before burning the disk open the Video_TS folder using DVD Player. If all went well it should play. I use this method because Toast didn't always give good results.

http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/apples...dvdimager.html

http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/DVDbackup.html

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2004, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by hldan:
What would be the difference of using the "Data" button in Toast instead of the "Video" button?
data is for copying DVDs, while video is for creating new a DVD from footage.

-r.

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 11:31 AM

1. DVDBackup
2. DVDRemaster
3. Toast

I like DVDRemaster better than DVD2OneX.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2004, 11:33 AM

What about Fast DVD copy? It works well.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2004, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by typoon:
What about Fast DVD copy? It works well.
For only $99.95!

Need DVDShrink on Mac
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz ďż˝ 1Gb ďż˝ 60Gb ďż˝ SD

euchomai
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2004, 10:47 AM

1. MacTheRipper
2. DVD2one
3. DVD Imager

All programs on versiontracker.com and all serials available in the new SerialBox. Not that I'd ever use anything like that. Or suggest that anyone else do either.

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2004, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by QuadG5Man:
1. DVDBackup
2. DVDRemaster
3. Toast

I like DVDRemaster better than DVD2OneX.
Why? I'm just curious.

s0litude
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2004, 07:32 PM

i love this... a couple months after i got my pb, i bought an external dvd-r writer from lacie so that the drive in the pb doesn't get overused. 2 100 dvd-r packs later, i've got a library of over 150 movies. of course, these are all back ups...
Hi!

sugarkane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2004, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by euchomai:
1. MacTheRipper
2. DVD2one
3. DVD Imager

All programs on versiontracker.com and all serials available in the new SerialBox. Not that I'd ever use anything like that. Or suggest that anyone else do either.

why not....

i love the serial box beats paying for half assed apps and products that apple try too overcharge for...

sk

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by sugarkane:
why not....

i love the serial box beats paying for half assed apps and products that apple try too overcharge for...

sk
Would you ever pull a heist on a liquor store?

People work hard on those "half assed apps". That's another reason why companies don't like to port games to the Mac. Look at Halo, it was downloaded more times than a copy of the game was sold.

rsgunther  (op)
Apr 10, 2004, 11:23 AM

Fast DVD Copy looks like the best one in my opinion. It does it all with a simple click of the button. I might go ahead & buy this one.

James L
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 12:41 PM

<QUOTE>

"why not....

i love the serial box beats paying for half assed apps and products that apple try too overcharge for..."

</QUOTE>

Ladies and gentlemen, the most ignorant comment of the day!

If software developers look to the Mac platform to develop something new, and see a bunch of LOSERS doing nothing but stealing the product and not paying for it, why would they bother?

Let's say you are a mechanic. You stealing the software from a company, whether you think it half assed or not, is the equivalent of someone having you rehaul their engine, and then not pay for it.

The ironic thing is that the same people that sit and steal the software are the ones who will sit and bitch that there isn't any good software available for the Mac, all the while not realizing that they are the cause of it.

Sorry, got to agree with discotronic on this one.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2004, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:
Would you ever pull a heist on a liquor store?

People work hard on those "half assed apps". That's another reason why companies don't like to port games to the Mac. Look at Halo, it was downloaded more times than a copy of the game was sold.
And I'm sure the stats are just as bad on the PC side, however, it's expected of PC users, so nobody says anything about it, eh? I'm also sure that Office cost microsoft 500.00 a copy to make. . .
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by cSurfr:
I'm also sure that Office cost microsoft 500.00 a copy to make. . .
Still doesn't making stealing software legal or right. If you don't want to pay $500 get a different version. The Professional version has Virtual PC with Windows XP Professional. That alone costs $219.

If you have #'s on the cost to develope and distribute Office on the Mac please share it with us.

According to what I have found Office for both the PC and Mac can be found for close to the same price. Considering the amount of suites sold for the PC compared to the price sold for the Mac I can see why the cost is more for us Mac people.

http://www.thesoftwareking.com/miva/...gory_Code=O2K3

http://www.e-chipsoftware.com/product.php?id=27

reybart
Forum Regular
May 7, 2004, 10:52 PM

rsgunther. I want to get an update from you regarding this. I just bought a PB12 SD and want to do the same. If it works, what software did you use all in all? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by rsgunther:
Hey, I have a Powerbook 15" 1.25GHZ with Superdrive. How do I make a backup of my DVD movies? Is it possible with a MAC? I used to be able to do it on a PC with third party software, but now my house is PC free (except for my company's laptop).

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2004, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by discotronic:
Still doesn't making stealing software legal or right. If you don't want to pay $500 get a different version. The Professional version has Virtual PC with Windows XP Professional. That alone costs $219.

If you have #'s on the cost to develope and distribute Office on the Mac please share it with us.

According to what I have found Office for both the PC and Mac can be found for close to the same price. Considering the amount of suites sold for the PC compared to the price sold for the Mac I can see why the cost is more for us Mac people.

http://www.thesoftwareking.com/miva/...gory_Code=O2K3

http://www.e-chipsoftware.com/product.php?id=27
I pay for all the SW I use, even the shareware. EXCEPT MS apps. I refuse to give them a dime, Bill can kiss my ass.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2004, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
I pay for all the SW I use, even the shareware. EXCEPT MS apps. I refuse to give them a dime, Bill can kiss my ass.
Well, then, you're a thief. And not a very smart one to boot - why tell everyone you're a thief? We're certainly not going to think highly of you. Stealing software is no different than walking into a liquor store and stealing a bottle of 20/20 - of course you're much more likely to have the clerk behind the counter kick your ass or plug you with a .45 a few times. I guess I can understand the no-risk attitude towards stealing software...!

What gets me the most about your comment is that you seem to take the moral high-ground by saying that you don't steal software - except for the stuff from Microsoft. I understand that you might not like Microsoft - but if you have such a jihad against the company, why in God's name are you using the software? A bit too hypocritical if you ask me.

So... not to hijack the thread or anything, but tell me what you've got against Microsoft?

Also, I'll pay you $1000 cash if you can prove to me that you can live one day of your life in an average American city without somehow interacting with Microsoft products. We'll forget for a moment that you've stolen a bunch of Microsoft product that you seem to like running on your Mac. Assuming that you don't live in a cave somewhere, I just don't know how you can make it through the day without interacting with MS in some way, shape, form or fashion.

rock'n'apple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2004, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by s0litude:
i love this... a couple months after i got my pb, i bought an external dvd-r writer from lacie so that the drive in the pb doesn't get overused. 2 100 dvd-r packs later, i've got a library of over 150 movies. of course, these are all back ups...

hi, i'm new to this. are you saying that because you have an external dvd drive, you don't need to go through all of this? is it easier to make backups of movies with an external, or do you still need to use 3 programs as mentioned above?

reybart
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2004, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by rock'n'apple:
hi, i'm new to this. are you saying that because you have an external dvd drive, you don't need to go through all of this? is it easier to make backups of movies with an external, or do you still need to use 3 programs as mentioned above?
update.. pleeezz! . Is it possible just to use the Toast 6 Titanium? I need an answer before buying it! Thanks

fruntbut
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2004, 09:57 PM

some of you may be having a problem because dvds need an AUDIO_TS folder in order to be recognized in standalone players. this can simply be created as a dummy folder. for example, i use the following combination:

1. copy dvd with mactheripper
2. if output is over 4.3gb, compress with dvd2onex, otherwise go to 3.
3. in toast, make a new disc, UDF format, name it whatever you want. if #2 was bypassed, there will only be a VIDEO_TS folder. drop it in toast. create an empty folder named AUDIO_TS and drop it in toast. burn.

if #2 was not bypassed, dvd2onex will have created the dummy AUDIO_TS file for you. that may not be the case with other compression software.

this proceedure has worked perfectly for me. i always include all the disc extras, subtitles, etc. and often have to shrink 8gb dvds down to 4.3gb. even with this amount of compression, i cannot tell the difference from the original on my tv (admittedly, my tv is nothing special).
12" powerbook rev. C (80gb, 5400rpm, superdrive, 256mb), 12" powerbook rev. B (80gb, 4200rpm, combo, 768mb)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2004, 06:46 AM

Originally posted by fruntbut:
some of you may be having a problem because dvds need an AUDIO_TS folder in order to be recognized in standalone players.
This is only the case in a few older models of DVD player.

Most newer ones do not need the empty AUDIO_TS folder.

-s*

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2004, 01:19 PM

I think I've had problems with .DS_Store files being in the AUDIO_TS or VIDEO_TS folders.. make sure to delete those in Toast before burning. They get created when you navigate to the folder in the Finder.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2004, 07:19 PM

Any thoughts on Handbrake for ripping the DVD? I haven't used it but I've seen it mentioned elsewhere. It is free and is getting five stars on VT.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2004, 10:46 PM

Couldn't you use Apple's iDVD or other Apple app to burn the DVD copy ?

Zoom
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2004, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by nsxpower:
For only $99.95!

Need DVDShrink on Mac
AMEN! I paid for DVD2OneX and it's nice, but DVDShrink (from what I hear) is the only way to go. All-in-one app and free. My buddy, who abandoned Macs years ago ("went to the dark side") has been riding me constantly about the lack of good free apps for the Mac (and the high cost of Macs). I wish somehow people would write this stuff for the Mac. I mean, DVDShrink is FREE. It's not like someone looked at the markets and chose PC because of market share... you can't make it up in volume sales! (Reminds me of the SNL "Change Bank" skit.)

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2004, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by nick_coday:
This is where I love also having a PC.

There is a free app called DVDShrink. Works wonderfully!
Couldn't have said it better...reason enough to own a cheap PC.

s0litude
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2004, 05:06 PM

I apologize for the confusion. Yes, I do have a lacie external drive, but i still have DvdBackup, Dvd2One, and use toast. The only reason i got an external drive is because i know for a fact that this is one of the first components to break on any laptop is the writer, just for the fact that its most often the most used (for music cd's, and in this case dvds). With the advent of the new dual layer dvd writers (which i recommend you wait up on, and purchase instead of the current dvd writers) being able to use and burn onto dvds of up to 8.5 GB (i know its not the exact number but around there), there won't be a need for dvd2one and you can basically back up your entire dvd, including all the audio and extras. Granted, it may take longer, but the copy will be an almost if not perfect duplicate of the original. Mind you i am not condoning copying dvd's from other people to add to your collection, but rather to back them up, in case anything happens to the original. There are numerous websites out there that entail what needs to be done, and include numerous beginner guides as well. I know that Dvdbackup is needed primarily to decrypt the info on the dvd. Without this decryption, all that data on the dvd is utter gibberish to your apple, in terms of copying the data over. Happy backing up!
Hi!

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2004, 02:15 PM

Hi,
I have used the programs it says in this post to use (DVD backup, DVD 2 onex and toast), but when I play it on DVD players it doesnt work. On one dvd player, a portable one, it plays fine, but on my PS2 and other home DVD players it says disc error and things like that. What am I doing wrong?
Also, on the region option in DVD backup, whats the best to choose?
Thanks!

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 08:27 AM

I have used Handbrake, but none of the other programs mentioned here, and I thought it was ok. I haven't found out how to add subtitles or stuff like that, but I like the fact that you can give a 'target size' and determine how big you want the file. I tried it with a 7Gb movie to a 700Mb MP4 file, and the quality is ok, its not super but it isnt painful to watch or anything like that.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

lenox
Senior User
Jun 24, 2004, 10:38 AM

handbrake is more useful for ripping a dvd to view on your computer or perhaps to burn onto a (s)vcd. hence the 7gb > 700mb file thing

picky7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2004, 07:09 PM

How can I compressed 8GB for 4.7 GB DVD-R. Please help me or anyone know about SIZZLE and how can I get it and use it.....

Forum Links
Forum Rules